Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

Re: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

A reminder that most of the studies posted here at redszone and worldwide are not peer-reviewed. Information is trying to be shared world-wide (not good enough for the russians and chinese, apparently) to help everyone find answers faster.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Can Presidents bully governors? Tell me that. Can a President mandate masks? This isn’t China or even Vietnam.
    Trump has continually threatened states' federal funding for not re-opening as quickly as he'd like. He's doing it again now with the school opening issue.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NachoMan View Post
    Trump has continually threatened states' federal funding for not re-opening as quickly as he'd like. He's doing it again now with the school opening issue.
    I’d be surprised if that worked for a Democratic president trying to force Republican governors to mandate masks. I imagine most of them would actually legitimately say “go ahead cut our funding”, it’s the same party whose governors turned down free federal assistance for Medicaid expansion just to stick it to Obama and some stupid ideological grandstanding.

5. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-17-2020),Revering4Blue (07-20-2020)

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...rd-high-363719

Drug overdoses up this year. Doctors speculate Covid isolation and job loss are contributing.
    Um, that's 2019 data.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'm hoping that getting a face full of pepper spray will make that guy re-think his strategy to the point that he masks-up even when shopping online.
    Or at least convince him not to go all Grand Theft Auto with a shopping cart again.
    Last edited by M2; 07-17-2020 at 01:17 PM.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-20-2020),SteelSD (07-17-2020)

https://www.nationalacademies.org/ne...s-and-benefits

As of July 15, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine argue for prioritizing sending K-5 kids to schools for in-person learning. Citing educational inequities for poorer children and those with learning disabilities.

As a former public school teacher, these recommendations look impossible, both logistically and financially.
    In-person K-6 is being looked at by local officials all around me, but there's a mountain of issues to overcome (which you alluded to). The most basic problem is we're trying to open most everything else first and that puts the risk factors for schools on steroids. It comes down to priorities, and apparently schools weren't anyone's priority ... just an afterthought.

Yeah, federalist system and a fractured health care system aren’t helping matters either. Would Obama have been able to strong-arm Georgia’s Kemp? Or Florida’s governor ? Probably not unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

They had dipped in 2018. I mean, you could read it
    Oh, they dipped for one year two years ago and we are pretending that means something?

It's still possible the overdose data may be adjusted slightly when it's finalized later this year. But experts say that progress made in 2018 was short-lived, as the epidemic shifts toward more potent opioids and deaths from other drugs are on the rise.

“It was premature to declare victory in 2018,” said Chuck Ingoglia, president and CEO of the National Council for Behavioral Health, a trade association for mental health and addiction treatment providers. “We still don’t have enough capacity to reach people who need it. Even with the new investments we are still woefully underfunded.”

A year after administration officials struck an optimistic but cautious tone that the tide was beginning to turn on the deadly drug epidemic, they warned on Wednesday that a tough fight lay ahead.
    LOL, I mean - did you read the article you posted? This article is about how it dipped in 2018 and then increased to a record high in 2019. You know, a year before COVID?

Thanks for posting the self-own. I laughed.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 07-17-2020 at 01:23 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Apparently our kids' school is planning a "pod" system where everyone goes to school physically every day and stays with their pod. If anyone in the pod or their family gets Covid, the whole pod is out for two weeks. If anyone in the pod or their family is symptomatic and getting tested, the whole pod stays out until the symptomatic person's test comes back negative.

Our kids go to Catholic schools, but we've made the decision to sign our kids up for our local public school district's e-academy for 2020-21. I think the plan above will be a debacle and we'll all end up online anyway. May as well go with the solid, well-established program that has been doing online school for years instead of what our normal school can cobble together at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Um, that's 2019 data.
    Read the article. The uptick for 2020 is mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Oh, they dipped for one year two years ago and we are pretending that means something?

LOL, I mean - did you read the article you posted? This article is about how it dipped in 2018 and then increased to a record high in 2019. You know, a year before COVID?

Thanks for posting the self-own. I laughed.

- - - Updated - - -

“And things are only likely to get worse as deaths spike in 2020. There was a roughly 11.4 percent year-over-year increase in overdose deaths between January and April, according to an analysis released by the White House drug office last month.”
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-17-2020 at 02:03 PM.

I'm currently playing a game of: is it the common cold or is it COVID?

Off to get tested. Stay safe, everyone.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

14. Likes:

757690 (07-17-2020),Edd Roush (07-18-2020),Kingspoint (07-17-2020),Larkin Fan (07-17-2020),M2 (07-17-2020),RedTeamGo! (07-17-2020),RFS62 (07-17-2020),SteelSD (07-17-2020),WrongVerb (07-17-2020)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...se-deaths.html

“It looks as if 2020 will be even worse. Drug deaths have risen an average of 13 percent so far this year over last year, according to mortality data from local and state governments collected by The New York Times, covering 40 percent of the U.S. population. If this trend continues for the rest of the year, it will be the sharpest increase in annual drug deaths since 2016, when a class of synthetic opioids known as fentanyls first made significant inroads in the country’s illicit drug supply.“

“But as weeks turned to months and people remained isolated, he and others said, the lockdown began to do more harm than good for many who struggle with addiction.

“Social isolation has always been a huge component of drug overdose risk,” said Traci Green, an epidemiologist at Brown University who studies drug abuse and addiction. “So much of what we’ve been trying to do has been completely unraveled.”“

From the NYT. Self-own your reading skills.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-17-2020 at 02:23 PM.

16. Likes:

Rojo (07-18-2020)

I did read the article. The 2020 data mentioned was from the first few months of the year when we weren't locked down.

I did read the article. The 2020 data mentioned was from the first few months of the year when we weren't locked down.
    It includes up through April. That’s a month a half of lockdown. And a Brown epidemiologist believes social isolation played a role and will continue to. I see no reason why it wouldn’t.

You’re arguing with addiction experts at this point. Have at it. I just post the articles.

It includes up through April. That’s a month a half of lockdown. And a Brown epidemiologist believes social isolation played a role and will continue to. I see no reason why it wouldn’t.

You’re arguing with addiction experts at this point. Have at it. I just post the articles.
    Through April? You mean one month into COVID in the US and the 4th month of the year? Well, color me wrong.

The fact is that it is speculation and a FACT is that OD was already increasing from the dip in 2018. In fact 2019 was the worst year on record. Pretty obvious speculation that it would continue to increase in 2020 COVID or not. I’ll tell you what is reckless speculation: simply blaming the increase in 2020 on COVID lockdowns.

Like I said: when ice cream sales increase so does the murder rate. Clearly ice cream is at fault for murders.

My reading skills are fine.

- - - Updated - - -

For the record: addition expert is absolutely right and we should listen to anything they say.

Epidemic and viral experts: liars with an agenda

Got it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

20. Likes:

757690 (07-17-2020)

It's the Willie Greene of reports, all September

22. Likes:

757690 (07-17-2020),M2 (07-17-2020),Revering4Blue (07-20-2020),WrongVerb (07-17-2020)

Turn Off Ads?