Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

Re: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's the Willie Greene of reports, all September
    One of the cleverest Redszone replies of all time. Tip of the hat, sir.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Through April? You mean one month into COVID in the US and the 4th month of the year? Well, color me wrong.

The fact is that it is speculation and a FACT is that OD was already increasing from the dip in 2018. In fact 2019 was the worst year on record. Pretty obvious speculation that it would continue to increase in 2020 COVID or not. I’ll tell you what is reckless speculation: simply blaming the increase in 2020 on COVID lockdowns.

Like I said: when ice cream sales increase so does the murder rate. Clearly ice cream is at fault for murders.

My reading skills are fine.

- - - Updated - - -

For the record: addition expert is absolutely right and we should listen to anything they say.

Epidemic and viral experts: liars with an agenda

Got it.
    I never said epidemiologists were liars. Just that they’re human and their biases come out in certain ways (the BLM protests vs. the Michigan deadenders). I’ve been beyond consistent. I and most Americans want clear guidance beyond, “Shut the universe down,” which is an untenable long term solution.

Again, take up your objections with the Brown epidemiologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Can't trust this info. It comes from a bunch of coastal, Ivy League elites with an anti-Trump agenda.

7. Likes:

WrongVerb (07-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Can't trust this info. It comes from a bunch of coastal, Ivy League elites with an anti-Trump agenda.
    Suit yourself. It’s data.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    For the record: addition expert is absolutely right and we should listen to anything they say.

Epidemic and viral experts: liars with an agenda

Got it.
    This is the problem with starting your argument with doubting the Press and scientists. It is now impossible to use data and news reports to backup anything you say.

It includes up through April. That’s a month a half of lockdown. And a Brown epidemiologist believes social isolation played a role and will continue to. I see no reason why it wouldn’t.

You’re arguing with addiction experts at this point. Have at it. I just post the articles.
    A) You're basing that on a White House statement for which it hasn't released the supporting data. We have no idea if that includes all 50 states or if the numbers are front- or back-loaded in those months (though given the source and the lack of specificity, I've got a pretty good guess). Also should be noted, many states issued stay-at-home orders later than other. Kentucky, specifically mentioned in the article for January-March, didn't issue its order until March 25 (and it didn't go into effect until 8 p.m. on 3/26). So, unless there was a five-day overdose spree in KY, lockdown likely didn't affect the data.

B) I work with some addiction experts who geared up for exactly this and it hasn't materialized. They still think it might, but it hasn't, at least not in my neck of the woods. I trust them.

C) "I just post the articles" is kind of an odd statement given the media-is-bad bender you were on yesterday. This actually is garbage reporting.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Suit yourself. It’s data.
    You specifically said we need to be skeptical of all data.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    A) You're basing that on a White House statement for which it hasn't released the supporting data. We have no idea if that includes all 50 states or if the numbers are front- or back-loaded in those months (though given the source and the lack of specificity, I've got a pretty good guess). Also should be noted, many states issued stay-at-home orders later than other. Kentucky, specifically mentioned in the article for January-March, didn't issue its order until March 25 (and it didn't go into effect until 8 p.m. on 3/26). So, unless there was a five-day overdose spree in KY, lockdown likely didn't affect the data.

B) I work with some addiction experts who geared up for exactly this and it hasn't materialized. They still think it might, but it hasn't, at least not in my neck of the woods. I trust them.

C) "I just post the articles" is kind of an odd statement given the media-is-bad bender you were on yesterday. This actually is garbage reporting.
    Trust me, “I know them personally” isn’t terribly compelling. Again you’re the authority on addiction, not actual clinicians.

For the record, the Times data set and the Politico data set aren’t the same.

You specifically said we need to be skeptical of all data.
    I said we should be skeptical of guidance based on the human element of bias. And yeah some data is less compelling than others.

This is the problem with starting your argument with doubting the Press and scientists. It is now impossible to use data and news reports to backup anything you say.
    It’s not at all. My gripe with the press was their failure to elevate important info. You’re having a blast mischaracterizing every argument I’ve made.

Behind a paywall is a WaPo article claiming overdoses climbed 19% in March, 29% in April, and 42% in May over last year.

Trust me, “I know them personally” isn’t terribly compelling. Again you’re the authority on addiction, not actual clinicians.

For the record, the Times data set and the Politico data set aren’t the same.
    I'm not an authority, but I work with some public health officials, social workers and people trying to establish safe injection sites. Don't really care if that compels you. What you posted was lousy reporting.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Behind a paywall is a WaPo article claiming overdoses climbed 19% in March, 29% in April, and 42% in May over last year.
    I pay, what's the link?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...VnDJeuDrZOrpUK

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm not an authority, but I work with some public health officials, social workers and people trying to establish safe injection sites. Don't really care if that compels you. What you posted was lousy reporting.
    And what that Brown epidemiologist said is lousy reporting as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I pay, what's the link?
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...VnDJeuDrZOrpUK

Turn Off Ads?