Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: COVID-19, part vi,...the first wave continues to surge

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If you have a special diet like I have, you can specify no substitutes, but you end up with an incomplete order and have to go out and get the other stuff yourself. It works fine if all you need is general stuff and if they are out of bread A, then Bread B works. If you have to be specific, these services are a disaster. If I ate the stuff they delivered, it would probably kill me before Covid does.
    Right, there are pretty specific things I try to include in my diet too, and it was borderline impossible to get those things for pretty much all of March, April and May before I just started going into grocery stores for myself again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I disagree. I have kidney issues and tried the home delivery for the grocery. It just doesn't work. Where I live, there are only a couple stores and an order today will come in about a week and a half. If that order is screwed up, you're left with about 3 weeks to get the correct stuff. Since I do have kidney issues, I need low sodium and no salt added options. You can't even get some of it at one store and the other only offers if you come inside. You can get no salt added cans of veggies, but that's about it (if they don't screw-it up). Stuff like no salt added turkey from the deli (which is my lunch every day) requires an in person visit to the deli. Other stuff like fresh fruit is hit and miss and things like bread need to be very specific as to which ones I can buy and when they are out, I need to read the labels to get a substitute and can't have some teen-ager doing my in-store shopping making that decision. You can get one loaf of bread with about 60 grams of sodium per slice and the one right next to it that looks the same might be 200 grams. It's the same with just about everything. Sorry, but this supposed solution that everyone is touting just doesn't work.

If my faucet breaks or my lawnmower won't start, am I supposed to wait three or four days for a replacement to arrive and hope I picked the right one since I couldn't actually pick it up and look at it. Its not any more realistic for high risk people to stay home all the time than it is for anyone else.
    The vast majority of obese people don't have specific diets like you describe. Most people would be able to shop online.

As for the hardware, many of them will let you order over the phone and bring it out to your car. You would be amazed at how cooperative they will be, especially the small time places.

So yeah, if I was able to stay home 99% of the time for 10 weeks, a high risk obese person can do it too. It isn't hard. You are in a very small minority.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This is extremely misleading. Cumulative stats since March don’t tell us much of what is happening right now. And death are a lagging indicator. We need to look at current trends when trying to understand what is happening right now. And in around 35 states, the trends look real bad.
    Well, Texas has a lot of catching up to do with places like Massachusetts and Connecticut.

5. Likes:

jup (07-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    The vast majority of obese people don't have specific diets like you describe. Most people would be able to shop online.

As for the hardware, many of them will let you order over the phone and bring it out to your car. You would be amazed at how cooperative they will be, especially the small time places.

So yeah, if I was able to stay home 99% of the time for 10 weeks, a high risk obese person can do it too. It isn't hard. You are in a very small minority.
    This is a very privileged assessment. It’s not just special diets (you’d be surprised how many people have them) it’s access to the internet, having credit cards, cost (it’s much more expensive), being able to easily navigate an app, etc.

I don’t have a special diet, and I found ordering everything online quite disappointing. As described by others, I never got everything I ordered. It’s not as easy and great as you are saying it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Texas has a lot of catching up to do with places like Massachusetts and Connecticut.
    It’s not a contest. All that matters is what is happening right now.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

This is a very privileged assessment. It’s not just special diets (you’d be surprised how many people have them) it’s access to the internet, having credit cards, cost (it’s much more expensive), being able to easily navigate an app, etc.

I don’t have a special diet, and I found ordering everything online quite disappointing. As described by others, I never got everything I ordered. It’s not as easy and great as you are saying it is.
    No one said it is great. We are talking about high risk people taking a break from going to the grocery store for a few months. Talk about first world problems.

Again, most people are online and have credit cards. Barring that, there are volunteer organizations that will do it for you. My best friend and his wife haven't left their home since March because she has health issues, and their church does every bit of shopping and errands for them.

It can done, or we can make excuses why it can't be done. I'm sorry a lot of these people cared more about cheeseburgers than their own health for 40 years, but now they have to be extra careful for a few more months.

I think I'm in a bigger minority than you think. I don't understand why people can't just step-up and act responsibly. We are in a pandemic that has killed 140,000+ people in about 6 months in the US and that was with most people staying home for a lot of that time. The economy and the world in general shut down for way too long. Based on how people behave, it wasn't shut long enough. There will always be cases, even after a vaccine and no one can eliminate all the risk, but the risk is way too high now mostly because of how people behave. Why do people need to take the whole family to the grocery store with kids running all over and brushing up against everyone and people stopping to reminisce for 15 minutes with their neighbors, blocking the aisles while the kids are going wild. Heck, that's horrible boorish behavior even without a pandemic.

I don't want everyone to stay home. I want everyone to be able to earn living. I'm at an age where the value of my 401K is probably a lot more important than some one in their late 20s or early 30s, so I have a huge stake in getting everything going again. I just don't understand why people can't do it without being too selfish and screwing it up. Maintain your distance, wear your mask inside or in a densely crowded outdoor area (like say a downtown crosswalk for example). Try to keep from spreading the virus by limiting contact and controlling how much you are spewing out by talking too loud or by not covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing. Do it to keep the health system viable and for the sake of the people who may suffer adverse consequences. It's a very minor inconvenience. Take care now and this will pass.

I think we've been too rich and things have been at our fingertips for so long, people feel so entitled to everything that they can't even think beyond the next impulse. That's why the US has performed so pitifully compared to the rest of the world. This situation calls for playing the long game, but people are trying to declare victory after a hundred yard dash (that 10 weeks you stayed home that should have been 2 if the people in power behaved responsibly) when they are running a marathon (which ends when this is over either through a vaccine, herd immunity. effective treatments or the grace of a higher power).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

SteelSD (07-18-2020)

No one said it is great. We are talking about high risk people taking a break from going to the grocery store for a few months. Talk about first world problems.

Again, most people are online and have credit cards. Barring that, there are volunteer organizations that will do it for you. My best friend and his wife haven't left their home since March because she has health issues, and their church does every bit of shopping and errands for them.

It can done, or we can make excuses why it can't be done. I'm sorry a lot of these people cared more about cheeseburgers than their own health for 40 years, but now they have to be extra careful for a few more months.
    Seriously? Like wow. A lot revealed in that post.

Moving on...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah and my family has tried the curbside pickup for Kroger, and the shoppers are straight up too lazy to fill half the order almost every time. I actually tested this out a couple months ago and placed an order, they said half of my items were out of stock, so I went inside and they were completely stocked with everything they didn’t give me. Those services are nowhere near where they need to be in terms of actually being reliable for whole grocery orders.
    I do grocery pick up and delivery from Wal-Mart. I've been doing it since March, almost every week (sometimes I've skipped a week, but there are a few times I've done it twice in a week). Aside from toilet paper back in March, I can count the number of times on my hands that I've had to have a substitute - and half of those were for either cheese or lunchmeat, in which case I was substituted the same product, but a larger quantity (ordered half pound of ham and turkey lunch meat and was given a pound). Kroger might just be really bad at this.

So it sounds like you are saying just push aside or write-off all the high risk people now so you don't have to wear a mask. I don't think it's what you mean, but it comes off that way.

Forget the high risk people and focus simply on stopping the spread. As a society, for everything to normalize, that's what we need to do. Some people just don't care enough about anyone but themselves to think like that. Wearing a mask, covering your mouth when you cough, limiting your contacts, keeping distance and keeping your kids under control in public along with practicing hygiene like washing your hands are very minor things to ask and 75% is just being polite and respectful of others in the first place whether there is a pandemic or not. . Why is that so offensive?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

757690 (07-18-2020)

So it sounds like you are saying just push aside or write-off all the high risk people now so you don't have to wear a mask. I don't think it's what you mean, but it comes off that way.
    I am absolutely not saying that. I probably wear a mask more than anybody else here, and I’ve always worn a medical mask. All I said is that if someone is high risk, they should avoid going out in public whenever possible and take advantage of the technology that allows them to get as much online as possible, or reach out to organizations that will help them. That’s it. I’m doing the opposite of writing them off.

Like it or not, the US leads the world by far in obesity and self-inflicted diabetes. Maybe that’s something that will finally be addressed after this is over, but it’s shameful.

One question that is really not being answered is: Outside of known hotspots like nursing homes, prisons, meatpacking operations, what do the other hotspots have in common? And a related question: How can law enforcement better handle these unnecessary mass gatherings? Or can they?

Seriously? Like wow. A lot revealed in that post.

Moving on...
    Oh please. I‘ve spent 32 years making delicious healthy meals from scratch for my family, not to mention the thousands of other meals for kids that came and stayed for days or weeks at a time, and when I offered some ideas here on how to start integrating some foods from local sources, you said you hope you had enough money to buy a gun so you could kill yourself if you had to live like that. Yes, making healthy foods and avoiding processed foods is a horrible thing to do for your family. But hey, none of us are sick or obese, so we have that going for us.

When I said above that some would make excuses for today’s obese, I knew you would be the first one in line. I’m not talking about somebody who has genetic issues with theor kidneys- i’m saying that the guy who ate a 16 inch pizza and a 64 ounce bottle of soda for dinner every day probably should avoid going to the grocery store or hanging around crowds.

Forget the high risk people and focus simply on stopping the spread. As a society, for everything to normalize, that's what we need to do. Some people just don't care enough about anyone but themselves to think like that. Wearing a mask, covering your mouth when you cough, limiting your contacts, keeping distance and keeping your kids under control in public along with practicing hygiene like washing your hands are very minor things to ask and 75% is just being polite and respectful of others in the first place whether there is a pandemic or not. . Why is that so offensive?
    Exactly.

A better and fairer solution, instead of locking tens of millions of Americans in their homes for next year, is to make it safe for everyone to go out. All that means is everyone wears a mask, and stay six feet away from each other.

Oh please. I‘ve spent 32 years making delicious healthy meals from scratch for my family, not to mention the thousands of other meals for kids that came and stayed for days or weeks at a time, and when I offered some ideas here on how to start integrating some foods from local sources, you said you hope you had enough money to buy a gun so you could kill yourself if you had to live like that. Yes, making healthy foods and avoiding processed foods is a horrible thing to do for your family. But hey, none of us are sick or obese, so we have that going for us.

When I said above that some would make excuses for today’s obese, I knew you would be the first one in line. I’m not talking about somebody who has genetic issues with theor kidneys- i’m saying that the guy who ate a 16 inch pizza and a 64 ounce bottle of soda for dinner every day probably should avoid going to the grocery store or hanging around crowds.
    Please stop with the fat shaming. It’s ugly and uncalled for.

https://obesitymedicine.org/obesity-and-genetics/

However, recent studies suggest that genetics contribute to 40-70% of obesity with the discovery of more than 50 genes that are strongly associated with obesity. While changes in the environment have significantly increased obesity rates over the last 20 years, the presence or absence of genetic factors protect us from or predispose us to obesity.

This is extremely misleading. Cumulative stats since March don’t tell us much of what is happening right now. And death are a lagging indicator. We need to look at current trends when trying to understand what is happening right now. And in around 35 states, the trends look real bad.
    So in one answer you say we have to deal with "cuurent data"

The numbers on this site say otherwise, especially when one looks at the deaths graph.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

Attachment 16268
    And then you turn around and use an admitted lagging indicator to dispute another. Give me a break.

You can't have your cake and eat it to.

Of course TX deaths will rise, as all lagging indicators do. But it is positivity tests at the front end that tells you were you are right now.

Turn Off Ads?