Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jay Baseball: Coming to a Baseball Stadium Near You... Maybe...

Re: Blue Jay Baseball: Coming to a Baseball Stadium Near You... Maybe...

A thorny problem. In these contagious days, I wouldn’t be too keen about another team coming into GABP and using the home clubhouse. A minor league ball park, preferably a top end AAA stadium, makes sense.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Apparently it does matter particularly for lighting purposes, for the players. Supposedly that’s why they aren’t playing in Buffalo.
    Two words: Day games

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Refusing to play in Buffalo seems like a vanity issue for the players.

But with no fans it really doesn't matter I guess.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Refusing to play in Buffalo seems like a vanity issue for the players.

But with no fans it really doesn't matter I guess.
    Bargaining chip.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Not in the east, but Omaha hosts the college world series every year.

(And is home to the Creighton Blue Jays...)

Bunch of universities in the south have facilities that regularly host regionals and super regionals. And with students likely going online at many schools this fall, could be dorm room capacity at those universities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This is weird. I get the clubhouses not being up to snuff, and well, in a short season pinch who cares? Suck it up. But the lights issue is weird. Why is it okay for AAA baseball to be played under substandard lights?
    Apparently the lights are fine for play but are below the std for tv.

Good article on the Buffalo stadium here:
    https://buffalonews.com/sports/insid...599b83e0d.html

You've heard a lot the last few days about the Sahlen Field lights, which were upgraded in 2011 with poles that were much shorter than the ones originally installed at the park's opening. Players universally told you then that the situation on the field greatly improved. Fans continue to tell you they got the short end, as it's noticeably darker in the seats, especially in the upper level. The lighting issue for the Blue Jays and MLB is much more about the view for television than the game.

The clubhouses are only marginally smaller than new Triple-A parks, but MLB clubhouses have just become a game of one-upsmanship in each city. There is, however, plenty of space for social distancing here, perhaps even using the suites as dressing quarters as the Red Sox have done in Fenway Park.The Sox, in fact, have become a prototype for using all your available space. They've repurposed the Fenway concourses for weight rooms and batting cages, and the Bisons had plenty of room to do likewise. With no fans, the ballpark footprint here is large. Two levels, a giant outdoor plaza, a center field area. Lots of places for the Blue Jays and opponents to do what team president Mark Shapiro called "reimagining" when he talked to reporters Saturday.
    Last edited by klw; 07-20-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Worth The Wait

The lights issue seems absurd to me. If it’s fine to play, then maybe they just have to accept that Blue Jays “home games” this year wont look quite as good on TV as they normally would. I mean, it’s not like the TV screens will be showing a black out. It will probably look a little low-rent as far as an MLB TV production goes, but I think viewers would survive.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Not in the east, but Omaha hosts the college world series every year.

(And is home to the Creighton Blue Jays...)

Bunch of universities in the south have facilities that regularly host regionals and super regionals. And with students likely going online at many schools this fall, could be dorm room capacity at those universities as well.
    The AAA stadium in Omaha might be a better option than the CWS stadium downtown, although I'm sure the "TV lights" are better at TD Ameritrade (the CWS stadium).

Haunted by walks

They’ve played Major League Baseball in Williamsport.

I bet they play at PNC Park in Pittsburgh to start the season until they can work something out
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 07-21-2020 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The Canadian government, seeking to protect its citizens from a pandemic, has denied Toronto permission to play home games in the country.

Blue Jay owners had planned on Buffalo as an alternate site, but players are adamant about playing in a major league stadium.

Possible avenues include doubling up in Pittsburgh (where only seven game times conflict) and Baltimore (which is closer geographically).

Where should MLB put the erstwhile Toronto franchise?
    Unless there's a major highway I'm missing, Pittsburgh is closer than Baltimore. Of course Cleveland and Detroit are the closest, but I'm assuming the schedule doesn't work out. Pittsburgh needs a major league team this year anyway. Of course they could always play in Montreal, but that wouldn't help anything.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Just find dem Canucks a hockey rink, don't cha know, eh?

14. Likes:

mgbrown66 (07-21-2020)

I feel for the players (and seem to be one of the few, based on the comments here). It'd be pretty difficult to uproot my plans, family, living arrangements, and familiarity with a city to play ball in... Buffalo. Pittsburgh-- any MLB city, really-- isn't ideal either, but at least they've got major league amenities and familiar culture/ people who you know and know you. Getting an apartment would be remarkably difficult, I'd think, especially on notice as short as this.

They (the players) have likely lost deposits or won't get back deposits and/or are paying mortgages on houses they're not allowed to live in. And they'll have to spend cash on new arrangements. If families are in another place, that's three houses to pay for, not to mention the upkeep, worry, and travel. And you're getting taxed a fairly substantial portion of your check for having the pleasure of not living in your normal baseball season house/ condo.

It'd kinda suck, honestly, as compared to other MLBers.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 07-21-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I feel for the players (and seem to be one of the few, based on the comments here).
    I mean, it's a two month season. Just not a big deal. If this were a normal 162 game season, sure, that's a long commitment. But for two months? Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I mean, it's a two month season. Just not a big deal. If this were a normal 162 game season, sure, that's a long commitment. But for two months? Nah.
    Which would make it even more difficult. Having to deal with all this for two months of ball? The headaches inherent in moving-- for such a short time?

That's okay, though-- they're all millionaires and should consider themselves lucky for playing a kid's game, amirite?

Turn Off Ads?