Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose Talks Reds 2020 Season

Pete Rose Talks Reds 2020 Season

Pete Rose, with 4,256 career hits from 1963-86, said the empty seats will be an adjustment for Major League Baseball teams during this 60-game regular season.

"Players like fans," Rose told WCPO last week. "Players feel appreciated if there is fans in the stands, and it's going to be odd for them. But some of them will get through it, and some of them won't. Some of them will really excel, and some of them won't. It's just a matter of how you feel about the fans and not having any fans there."

The Hit King said he always has appreciated Cincinnati fans, but he also gathered motivation as a player from Crosley Field and Riverfront Stadium.

"I was one of those guys where I used to feed off the opposition because I got booed so much on the road," Rose said. "And the louder they boo you, the more you want to shut them up."

Rose believes the Reds could jump out to a successful start if the middle relief pitching is consistent during the first few weeks of the season.

"Well, first of all, if you look at their roster offensively they've got a good unit, and starting pitching-wise they have probably one of the best pitching staffs in the league," Rose said. "But you still got to go out and play the game."

Rose doesn't understand the change, which allows a runner to start at second base in the 10th inning.

"You know, to be honest with you, I'm tired of the last 10 years or so baseball changing the rules every year," Rose said. "You can't throw inside, you can't break up a double play, you can't collide with a catcher. I mean, you know what's next? They have a clock running. You got to throw the ball by the time the clock runs out. I'm just totally against changing any rules of baseball."

Rose said baseball is unique for the sport that it is and adding extra rules doesn't equal fan entertainment value.

"I thought the game was pretty good in 1869," Rose said. "I thought the game was pretty good in 1969. Why are we going to change all these rules?
    https://www.wcpo.com/sports/baseball...aseball-season

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Pete Rose Talks Reds 2020 Season

I hate this city so much.

I tend to agree with Pete!!! I'm a traditionalist keep it the same the length of the game shouldn't matter, no clocks etc!! I for one hate the extra inning rule with a guy on 2nd base, play the game out!!! I do like video replay though and also the 26th man to lengthen the bench other than that I cant name anything else I like better than when I grew up going to games in the 80's!!!

The Runner on second thing is the worst rule in baseball history. Way worse than the DH.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

757690 (07-21-2020),adkindo (07-20-2020),Cherokee (07-21-2020),goldglover9 (07-20-2020),malcontent (07-26-2020),RedsBaron (07-20-2020),texasdave (07-20-2020),Wonderful Monds (07-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That post took 5 minutes for you to respond to with your Pete/Cincy hatred. I thought you were quicker than that.

8. Likes:

mbgrayson (07-20-2020),Number_Fourteen (07-20-2020),Rantly (07-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Runner on second thing is the worst rule in baseball history. Way worse than the DH.
    Yeah, I'm made my peace with the DH. The runner on second seems to be the ultimate gimmick.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-26-2020)

Really, Doug?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Does Pete know about the metric ton of rule changes between 1869 and 1969?
    Go Gators!

13. Likes:

CaiGuy (07-21-2020),Chip R (07-22-2020),corkedbat (07-21-2020)

I hear New York city has become a lovely place to live recently

Usually Pete has some pretty decent comments. He does know baseball. But these are just garden variety comments that could have been made by someone like..... me.

16. Likes:

RedsBaron (07-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Really, Doug?
    Yes, really.

He's a disgrace to baseball, the city, and this organization. The sooner everyone figures that out, the better.

18. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (07-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    That post took 5 minutes for you to respond to with your Pete/Cincy hatred. I thought you were quicker than that.
    I can't be on top of my game at all hours of the day. Contrary to popular belief, I actually do things other than sit online all day.

Yes, really.

He's a disgrace to baseball, the city, and this organization. The sooner everyone figures that out, the better.
    Doug, if you’re trying to attract customers, then you have a really funny way of doing it.

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-21-2020),Kilgore_Trout (07-20-2020),Number_Fourteen (07-21-2020),Rantly (07-21-2020),savafan (07-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I hear New York city has become a lovely place to live recently
    Relative to where?

https://abc7ny.com/covid-19-ny-fauci...cuomo/6324584/

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Doug, if you’re trying to attract customers, then you have a really funny way of doing it.
    Roy, if ignoring that Pete Rose is a disgrace to the city, the franchise, and the game that I love means getting more customers, I'm cool with less customers. I am not going to sit back and pretend that he isn't who he is and that he hasn't done all of the trash that he's done.

Turn Off Ads?