Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How bad is Lorenzen hurt?

How bad is Lorenzen hurt?

He got torched in an intrasquad game, then we find out he has forearm pain. I don’t like that at all. Iglesias is about three blown saves away from mop up duty, and Lorenzen is next in line for saves, imho. Or Stephenson, I guess. In any event, Lorenzen is a huge part of the bullpen picture and I am concerned. Anybody hear anything new on him?

2. Likes:

REDREAD (07-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How bad is Lorenzen hurt?

Not heard anything new, but original reports were not thought to be anything too serious. He was working on throwing a pitch with a new and different grip. He developed a little discomfort in the affected forearm muscles.

With Boddy analyzing all the pitchers and their mechanics, we may hear a lot more of these kinds of “injuries,” especially when pitchers are trying to increase spin rates.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-21-2020)

Razor thin bullpen depth is something to keep your eye on.

7. Likes:

DocRed (07-21-2020),REDREAD (07-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Razor thin bullpen depth is something to keep your eye on.
    True. I’m looking for Tyler Mahle to be a very important guy this year as a 2 inning bridge to the pen. He is pretty good first time through the order if I recall. That could blunt the effect of the thin pen depth.

9. Likes:

Red Raindog (07-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Not heard anything new, but original reports were not thought to be anything too serious. He was working on throwing a pitch with a new and different grip. He developed a little discomfort in the affected forearm muscles.

With Boddy analyzing all the pitchers and their mechanics, we may hear a lot more of these kinds of “injuries,” especially when pitchers are trying to increase spin rates.
    Boddy works on the minor league side and is off in Seattle. Not sure he has anything to do with what goes on this season since there is no minor league activity per se

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    True. I’m looking for Tyler Mahle to be a very important guy this year as a 2 inning bridge to the pen. He is pretty good first time through the order if I recall. That could blunt the effect of the thin pen depth.
    Mahle's first three innings (career):
    151.1 IP
    4.04 ERA
    155 H
    26 HR
    65 BB
    166 K
    .262 BAA
    .340 OBPA
    .434 SLGA
    .321 BABiP

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Boddy works on the minor league side and is off in Seattle. Not sure he has anything to do with what goes on this season since there is no minor league activity per se
    I thought Boddy worked from the major leagues down. I also thought he was in Prasco Park and the GAB for the last couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Mahle's first three innings (career):
    151.1 IP
    4.04 ERA
    155 H
    26 HR
    65 BB
    166 K
    .262 BAA
    .340 OBPA
    .434 SLGA
    .321 BABiP
    I don’t know why the goalposts were shifted to 3 innings when I specifically said “first time through the order” and “two innings.”

Career first time through 3.35 ERA. Feel free to catch up from there.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought Boddy worked from the major leagues down. I also thought he was in Prasco Park and the GAB for the last couple of weeks.

Now I do believe this is the case. He is there for anyone to bounce ideas off of.

I think he is there right now because there is no where else to really be....but my understanding was during a normal season, he would have little if any interaction with guys on the roster. His communication with the major league team would pretty much just be with Bell and Johnson.

Maybe I misunderstood or they have changed the approach since the initial announcement.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

No doubt, Boddy has reviewed hours of tape on all pitchers in the organization ... including those at the major league level. And he has most likely offered suggestions to the pitching coaching staff on tweaks to potentially improve pitches. It would be extremely foolish to not have him evaluate current major league pitchers.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I don’t know why the goalposts were shifted to 3 innings when I specifically said “first time through the order” and “two innings.”

Career first time through 3.35 ERA. Feel free to catch up from there.
    I assumed "three innings" meant "nine batters" meant "first time through the order." and that two innings was an "or" not an "and".

And three innings was readily available on baseball-reference to copy instead of having to add it up.

I also assumed other posters could extrapolate or add as they chose from there.

Could have been around to check things out with some of the guys in camp that would fall under his area, but he hasn't been with the coaching staff (as in part of getting the team ready for the season) from what I understand.

I assumed "three innings" meant "nine batters" meant "first time through the order." and that two innings was an "or" not an "and".

And three innings was readily available on baseball-reference to copy instead of having to add it up.

I also assumed other posters could extrapolate or add as they chose from there.
    I mean that’s fine but there’s a big difference. Unless you go 9 up 9 down your are going to be facing some guys more than once over 3 innings - it’s all about them getting a second look at you, not so much the number of innings thrown. Fangraphs splits shows the “times throw the order.”
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 07-22-2020 at 01:58 PM.

I mean that’s fine but there’s a big difference. Unless you go 9 up 9 down your are going to be facing some guys more than once over 3 innings - it’s all about them getting a second look at you, not so much the number ignored innings thrown. Fangraphs splits shows the “times throw the order.”

20. Likes:

kaldaniels (07-22-2020)

Turn Off Ads?