Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Anyone else feeling bummed?

Re: Anyone else feeling bummed?

I'm hoping that watching the Reds tonight will give me that same feeling that watching the Reds has always given me.

Things have changed though. Everything non-essential has had the volume turned way down in my life. I turned on the Dodgers/Giants game last night. Cueto pitching. Opening night. Baseball is back! Should be pretty awesome right?

Meh. I turned it off at first commercial break and went back to reading. All the masks. The fake fans, the fake noise. I don't know.

Hoping tonight will be different. As much time as I spend on this message board... the real thing is finally here. This is me searching internally for the hype that is normally there.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    We get to watch home baseball without the WOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I think Covid was worth it.

(this is a joke)
    "Negative, Ghost Rider.
    There is not a chance we are pumping that in."
    -Phil Castellini to
    @GambleNFin
    on pumping in the 'woo' as part of crowd noise at GABP.
    @700wlw
    #Reds

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-24-2020),Roy Tucker (07-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I'm hoping that watching the Reds tonight will give me that same feeling that watching the Reds has always given me.

Things have changed though. Everything non-essential has had the volume turned way down in my life. I turned on the Dodgers/Giants game last night. Cueto pitching. Opening night. Baseball is back! Should be pretty awesome right?

Meh. I turned it off at first commercial break and went back to reading. All the masks. The fake fans, the fake noise. I don't know.

Hoping tonight will be different. As much time as I spend on this message board... the real thing is finally here. This is me searching internally for the hype that is normally there.
    Radio helps mute the obvious

6. Likes:

CrackerJack (07-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

It was weird. But it was baseball. Somebody needed to wake up ARod.

At the Dodgers game, I spent half the time trying to figure out who the cutouts were behind home plate.

The energy level was very low. I’m hoping it starts to rev up a bit as the games get played. Beats NASCAR though.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (07-24-2020)

I honestly don't care how big the asterisk that they put on this season is if the Reds win it all. They can preface our WS win with a billboard sized asterisk if they want and I'll enjoy it all the same. If we don't win it all I won't care either way, and I'll forget who won it in a couple of years.

10. Likes:

DocRed (07-25-2020)

Worth The Wait

My son is 8. He likes basketball. He’s meh on football. He loves baseball (my oldest daughter is the opposite— loves basketball, likes football, meh on baseball). He and I sat on our deck tonight, ate pizza and watched the Reds game. He sat there the entire game and never tired of it. He asked a lot of questions and I answered many he didn’t ask as well. It was fun. It felt good. He is already wavering on Geno being his favorite player because he has immediately taken a liking to Akiyama. I thought the Reds broadcast team did a good job of accentuating the positive and staying focused on the game and not straying into what has become the tired rona and political/social talk. It was a good day. Look forward to watching again tomorrow. Not gonna lose too much sleep about what next week might hold.

12. Likes:

DocRed (07-25-2020),Falls City Beer (07-25-2020),Mitri (07-25-2020),Rdirtypirates (07-26-2020),RedlegJake (07-25-2020),Stray (07-25-2020)

I miss the woo.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    absolutely no sports should be starting up right now? i strongly disagree with that. what do you say about all the sports that have already started, and are having little-to-no issues such as MLS, golf, UFC, NASCAR and boxing? also, everything looks great in the NBA bubble so far. i would also bet the NHL will go off without a hitch.

we have lived in fear long enough. play ball!
    Just from the perspective that there are more daily cases in the US than ever before. So it's even worse now than in March when they (rightfully) decided to shut everything down. And of course it's going to look like everything is good on the surface. No one will ever know if/how many additional cases/deaths are caused by the restarts. It just doesn't seem responsible. I suppose the real test will come if there is a significant outbreak in one of the sports, will they do the right thing or just barrel ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime58 View Post
    Just from the perspective that there are more daily cases in the US than ever before. So it's even worse now than in March when they (rightfully) decided to shut everything down. And of course it's going to look like everything is good on the surface. No one will ever know if/how many additional cases/deaths are caused by the restarts. It just doesn't seem responsible. I suppose the real test will come if there is a significant outbreak in one of the sports, will they do the right thing or just barrel ahead?
    My biggest problem is the scarcity of testing resources being devoted to such frivolous matters. Some dude wanting to go back to work to feed his family has to wait 10 days for his test results while these completely non-essential athletes seem to be getting daily priority with a one day turn-around. Those resources should go the population as a whole. If they can fix that, I'm fine with sports being played, but right now, most people don't even understand there is an issue.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime58 View Post
    I will have to respectfully agree to disagree with you on your take on the shutdown, but it’s impossible to get into that without going down the rabbit hole so I won’t. As far as the “significant outbreak” goes I guess that depends on significant. I imagine it will be like we do at our business and what most people seem to be doing. The positives sit out until cleared. Others step up in meantime. The virus slowly works it’s way through, but hopefully with all of the precautions they are taking it prevents any sort of massive outbreak. To me, “significant” would be a team reporting 6-7 cases out of the blue all at once. That might indicate some sort of breach of protocols. Assuming it’s contained to one team, I don’t think you shut down the entire league though. Have to make some hard decisions and that might require forfeiture of some games. To me, that would be a worst case scenario. More likely, you just plow ahead and that’s why each team has a large pool of potential replacements this year.

ESPN Opening Night game set record for largest audience ever for MLB opener and up 232% from last year.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...ationals-game/

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    ESPN Opening Night game set record for largest audience ever for MLB opener and up 232% from last year.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...ationals-game/
    And to think the commish and the owners try their best to ensure as little baseball as possible was played. I hope it works out and they can grow the popularity.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I’m feeling bummer after watching the 2019 Reds show up today.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I will have to respectfully agree to disagree with you on your take on the shutdown, but it’s impossible to get into that without going down the rabbit hole so I won’t. As far as the “significant outbreak” goes I guess that depends on significant. I imagine it will be like we do at our business and what most people seem to be doing. The positives sit out until cleared. Others step up in meantime. The virus slowly works it’s way through, but hopefully with all of the precautions they are taking it prevents any sort of massive outbreak. To me, “significant” would be a team reporting 6-7 cases out of the blue all at once. That might indicate some sort of breach of protocols. Assuming it’s contained to one team, I don’t think you shut down the entire league though. Have to make some hard decisions and that might require forfeiture of some games. To me, that would be a worst case scenario. More likely, you just plow ahead and that’s why each team has a large pool of potential replacements this year.
    Well, we're about find out real quick!!!

Turn Off Ads?