Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Reds Final Cuts for 2020 Season

Re: Reds Final Cuts for 2020 Season

If you had Davidson and Colon, congratulations, you won the pool.

I’m surprised about Colon, who made it over Blandino, but I always liked that pickup for AAA/swing man, good for him.

Shafer and Smith were DFA’d off the forty man roster.

I think mth hit this one, good work. UPReds Fan too.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-24-2020 at 11:10 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If you had Davidson and Colon, congratulations, you won the pool.

I’m surprised about Colon, who made it over Blandino, but I always liked that pickup, good for him.
    Had a feeling that Davidson would be one, but I did not predict that Colon would be the 30th man.

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-24-2020),Tom Servo (07-24-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Imagine how happy I’ll be when they get it right.

Not critical of management this year. You can’t fix everything. They did a lot of work this off-season. But, once again, the pen is a question mark.
    It has been since The Nasty Boys.

Just hope this year we don't jettison the likes of Kearns & Dunn for a sack of Majic beans.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    It has been since The Nasty Boys.

Just hope this year we don't jettison the likes of Kearns & Dunn for a sack of Majic beans.
    Reds have had some good late inning pens/relievers since the Nasty Boys. Brantley/Jackson in 1995. Graves, Sullivan, Williamson, and Big Sweat in 1999. Certainly Aroldis Chapman was a dominant closer for them. Iglesias too for awhile.

They can improve the pen from within, or with trades and acquisitions, just need to make the right calls. Not like the trade to which you’re alluding.

But relievers fall off rather quickly. Have to stay ahead of the game.

`
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-24-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Colon makes sense and he definitely played his way onto the team this spring. He's a veteran presence and plays solid D. I'm happy for him and let's be honest the 30th man probably is going to play very little in the 2 weeks he is here anyways.

8. Likes:

757690 (07-24-2020),Edd Roush (07-24-2020),Ron Madden (07-24-2020)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Davidson and Colon. Need two 40 man spots. Josh Smith and Justin Shafer DFA.
    We have a winner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    So I think the 40 is full (right?). That would make it seem like the 2 position players are guys not on the 40 and so roster moves are happening. Would think Davidson is one. Wonder if the other one is Pena since they know they need a catcher during Tucker's upcoming paternity leave.

Or Colon to be infielder, while Farmer becomes backup during the leave.
    I'm assuming the logic for Colon is what I stated here. I would not have done this. Little chance Colon stays on active roster all season. Why not just Blandino? Hope Shafer and Smith clear waivers.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Braves acquire Schebler. They want all our OF'ers!!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...-schebler.html

12. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (07-24-2020),M2 (07-24-2020),Ron Madden (07-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm assuming the logic for Colon is what I stated here. I would not have done this. Little chance Colon stays on active roster all season. Why not just Blandino? Hope Shafer and Smith clear waivers.
    Not saying Colon over Blandino was necessarily the right move, but I'd much rather have Farmer catching than Pena and that necessitates another SS.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

14. Likes:

mth123 (07-24-2020)

Pena is fine for helping catch guys in Spring Training. He doesn't need to be anymore than a break glass in case of emergency guy and with the Taxi Squad, he didn't need to be added today. I actually like Colon as a bench player. I think him over Blandino (who I also like OK) is the right choice. When they cut to 28, I hope he stays over Jankowski.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Pena is fine for helping catch guys in Spring Training. He doesn't need to be anymore than a break glass in case of emergency guy and with the Taxi Squad, he didn't need to be added today. I actually like Colon as a bench player. I think him over Blandino (who I also like OK) is the right choice. When they cut to 28, I hope he stays over Jankowski.
    Jankowski isn’t leaving so fast.

Teams are going to want a speed guy on their teams with the new extra innings rule. Honestly, I'd inquire about Billy Hamilton from the going nowhere Giants.

Jankowski stole a base last night and scored. Granted it was on a Moose HR but still....at that point of the game another run was a big deal. If he shaved his hair he'd be even faster!

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Jankowski stole a base last night and scored. Granted it was on a Moose HR but still....at that point of the game another run was a big deal. If he shaved his hair he'd be even faster!
    We saw yesterday Bell’s aggressive managing style. He switched out Ervin and Davidson as soon as a RHP came in for Tigers. He got Jankowski’s speed and defense in at the end.

I’m not saying he will make these particular moves regularly. But Jankowski gives him flexibility. Another manager might just leave well enough alone, but it’s not Bell’s nature.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Don't want guys running in front of the middle of the order. A lot of times the steals don't mean anything, like last night when Jumbo Diaz could have scored that run, but any outs they make matter a lot. If the Reds want an uber fast, take over the game and create the run on his own base stealer, like Billy Hamilton was, as the PR for the late innings, I'm OK with that. If its just somebody they can put in as the guy on second in extra innings, I just want somebody who can score from second on a single. That could be Ervin, Colon or a number of pitchers like Lorenzen, Castillo or Gray. I just don't see the need to waste a roster spot on this guy if that's all he's going to do. If he's going to play a bigger role, I like it even less.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?