Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No way that many people live there

Re: No way that many people live there

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My buddy lives in Oakland and his brother from the Amelia area came to visit him. They were driving through town and his brother kept saying, where do people eat here? There are no restaurants anywhere. My friend pointed out about five places and his brother said... no, I mean Burger King, Wendy's, KFC... where do people eat?
    Best crawfish I ever had was in Portland. Bozeman's downtown was thriving, pre-Covid. Many businesses are shuttered now, and it's tough to see in a town where any vacant storefront was occupied within a month.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gotta disagree, my neighborhood is not all like that

https://www.kgw.com/article/entertai...3-986e952ccdc9
    Given the general lack of car-friendliness in our cities, parking being both scarce and expensive and public transport generally being good, people would question you if you told them you were driving into a city here. Our two closest, Manchester and Leeds are almost undriveable, unless you want to drive round for half an hour looking for a parking space and pay £15-20 to use it for 6 hrs. I actually can't remember the last time I drove into either. Leeds has an excellent park-and-ride bus system and Manchester has the metrolink tram network and it's much easier and hassle free to use those. Obviously in Covid-19 times it's a bit of a nightmare given the social distancing requirements.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-08-2020),CaiGuy (08-08-2020),M2 (08-09-2020)

Gotta disagree, my neighborhood is not all like that

https://www.kgw.com/article/entertai...3-986e952ccdc9
    A writer from NYC ten years ago compared Portland to Greenwich Village, nothing but a lot of little tiny neighborhoods where you could get all of your needs filled without having to go to another. That's the effect that the City planners were after for the last 30 years (unfortunately gentrification was also part of that plan).

- - - Updated - - -

My buddy lives in Oakland and his brother from the Amelia area came to visit him. They were driving through town and his brother kept saying, where do people eat here? There are no restaurants anywhere. My friend pointed out about five places and his brother said... no, I mean Burger King, Wendy's, KFC... where do people eat?
    Funny.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Honestly, all American cities/towns are like that. When I have had visitors from other countries, they always ask, "where are all the people?" There might be cars out and about, but never any people.

Whenever a TV show is set in a typical American town with a nice little main street downtown, it always depicts the main characters interacting with all of these locals everyday on the street, and running into the same regulars everyday in the local dinner or shops downtown. You see all of the extras on the main square, shopping, and walking down the sidewalk, selling fruit, ect.

Walk down the street in a real small town or even city's downtown, and you are unlikely to meet another person walking. In fact, you often get some strange looks from passing drivers. "What's the deal with that lowlife, he can't even afford a CAR? Must be up to no good."
    Most cities in the northeast have got people walking around all over them (at least during non-COVID times). Providence, RI is a beehive. The last few times I've been to Center City in Philly people have been packed in almost cheek and jowl. If you go to Portland, ME you'd think 5x as many people live there.

Might have something to do with having older cities in this region. Most of them have a lot of housing in and around their business districts. That's why Stamford is so weird. It's one of the few places in this area of the country where they roll up the sidewalks at night.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-10-2020)

Turn Off Ads?