Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Did I just get served? Oh my. And from a fan of 80s teen comedies no less. How embarrassing!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think I posted a couple months back, but I was supposed to get married 2 weeks ago and we postponed it. I know some people are still trying to do them right now, but the restrictions and planning were awful back then and our venue ended up not even being open, so wouldn't have been able to do it anyway.

We ended up going to a lake house with two other couples to hang out for a few days. We did all get COVID tested beforehand, and our experience was good. Did the Rite Aid drive thru test, set up the appointment 2 days ahead of time and got the results back via email 48 hours after the test.
    Congratulations!! Best wishes to you and Mrs. Buckeye.

I know this is a hard time. We are invited to these weddings and, from all indications, they are still on. But I am having severe reservations about sitting in a hall with 200 other people and sitting elbow to elbow and breathing the same air. Most likely, we will send a nice gift and our regrets. And stay alive. My old ass doesn’t have the same bounce back as it did 30 years ago.

Times will get better. I’m hoping by the latter part of 2021, we will have some semblance of normalcy. Assuming the great orange Cheeto goes down in flames. Fingers crossed.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

4. Likes:

RFS62 (08-06-2020)

RE: Masks. The Netherlands decided against mandate them.

Now, you can disagree with this decision. But this is a high-income country that just determined that the evidence for mask mandates wasn't warranted.

Which means that questioning mask mandates isn't just hillybilly stuff. At the very least.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-19-isolation/

The Australian state of Victoria on Tuesday that military personnel will be deployed to enforce Covid-19 lockdown orders, amid growing concerns about attacks on police.

Australia, once heralded as a global leader in containing Covid-19, is desperately trying to slow the spread of the virus in the populous state to prevent a national second wave of infections.

But authorities warned police were facing a sometimes violent resistance, often by so-called 'sovereign citizens' groups who considered themselves above the law.

So NOT fascism:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...49e8f05a775ee8

Daniel Andrews has announced a permit system for Greater Melbourne, requiring people to show papers to authorities when they’re out and about for legitimate work reasons.

The move comes as the capital enters a strict stage four lockdown in a bid to slow the rapid spread of coronavirus, with 439 new cases recorded today.

Melbourne is the subject of a nightly curfew between 8pm and 5am, with only essential workers and those seeking or providing care able to leave their homes.

From midnight on Wednesday, a range of non-essential businesses will cease operating.

During the day, people can only go out if it’s absolutely necessary, such as buying groceries, and cannot travel more than 5km from their home.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    So NOT fascism:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...49e8f05a775ee8

Daniel Andrews has announced a permit system for Greater Melbourne, requiring people to show papers to authorities when they’re out and about for legitimate work reasons.

The move comes as the capital enters a strict stage four lockdown in a bid to slow the rapid spread of coronavirus, with 439 new cases recorded today.

Melbourne is the subject of a nightly curfew between 8pm and 5am, with only essential workers and those seeking or providing care able to leave their homes.

From midnight on Wednesday, a range of non-essential businesses will cease operating.

During the day, people can only go out if it’s absolutely necessary, such as buying groceries, and cannot travel more than 5km from their home.
    You’re right, that isn’t fascism

Fascism is ALWAYS about safety. Always.

OffGuardian
    @OffGuardian0
    #Melbourne have declared an emergency #curfew for a disease which has killed 208 people in 4 months. That's 0.004% of the city's population. The 7 people who died yesterday were all over 70, 4 were over 80 and 2 were over 90. #Covid19 #Australia #victorialockdown
    Last edited by Rojo; 08-05-2020 at 12:32 AM.

Name:  Screenshot (113).jpg
Views: 201
Size:  228.2 KB

Texas, looking better all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Fascism is ALWAYS about safety. Always.

OffGuardian
    @OffGuardian0
    #Melbourne have declared an emergency #curfew for a disease which has killed 208 people in 4 months. That's 0.004% of the city's population. The 7 people who died yesterday were all over 70, 4 were over 80 and 2 were over 90. #Covid19 #Australia #victorialockdown
    A phrase I can across years ago that really stuck: "Necessity is always the tyrant's plea."

I did not know is was this bad in the down under. Does all this have public support? But, then again, how would we know?

12. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-05-2020),Rojo (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Name:  Screenshot (113).jpg
Views: 201
Size:  228.2 KB

Texas, looking better all the time
    I guess. They had a mid teens positive test rate which is horrendous and and upward trend in 7 day average cases. Date of death charts are worthless. It’s good hospital rates are declining, but it’s slow and will likely go back up because the case number has gone back up and they are highly correlated with a bit of a lag to hospitalization.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I guess. They had a mid teens positive test rate which is horrendous and and upward trend in 7 day average cases. Date of death charts are worthless. It’s good hospital rates are declining, but it’s slow and will likely go back up because the case number has gone back up and they are highly correlated with a bit of a lag to hospitalization.
    Date of death charts are realistic given how deaths are actually reported. They run a 7 day average line that lags by 10 days so the noise has time to settle out. It turned south over a week prior, so that is 17 days plus the 7 day average or close to 24 days.

Hospitalizations have been on a downward trend for almost a month now. And we will see where this latest positivity and case rate turn will lead. I suspect it is will be a little leveling off (in other words a small plateau) before heading down again.

But with all the hyperbole that states like TX were the next NY, doesn't seem to be playing out anywhere near that.

15. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Date of death charts are realistic given how deaths are actually reported. They run a 7 day average line that lags by 10 days so the noise has time to settle out. It turned south over a week prior, so that is 17 days plus the 7 day average or close to 24 days.

Hospitalizations have been on a downward trend for almost a month now. And we will see where this latest positivity and case rate turn will lead. I suspect it is will be a little leveling off (in other words a small plateau) before heading down again.

But with all the hyperbole that states like TX were the next NY, doesn't seem to be playing out anywhere near that.
    The only time date or death charts are more useful than reported deaths is if the state does a huge catch up data dump. That has happened, but it isn’t common. Also a 7 day average on a day chart isn’t enough time because of how reporting is done. It’s always going to trend downward.

The positive test rate is so high right now that it needs to head down aggressively or Texas isn’t going to get better. Mid teens means it is spreading rapidly. If you don’t get it down below 5% you aren’t making progress. Texas isn’t in the ballpark.

The death rate in Texas will never get to NYC levels, which is obviously good, and a lot of that has to do with better treatment and knowledge from hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    You’re right, that isn’t fascism
    I might not call it fascism. That’s a strong word. In the same way Trump isn’t a Nazi. We should accurately name things. But it’s excessive and panic is unhelpful. It always is.

18. Likes:

LeDoux (08-05-2020),mole44 (08-05-2020),Rojo (08-06-2020)

I have been to weddings the last two weekends.
    Saturday July 25 my wife and I attended the wedding of a friend's daughter. While masks were worn during the outside ceremony there was only limited mask wearing and little social distancing at the inside reception. I was somewhat uncomfortable.
    Last Saturday I attended another wedding with no one wearing masks during the church inside wedding or during the inside reception at another location. I wasn't crazy about that either, but it was the wedding of our youngest son, and as the groom and the groom's parents we had limited input on how things went. I wasn't going to miss my son's wedding.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

20. Likes:

marcshoe (08-05-2020),RFS62 (08-06-2020),Rojo (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I have been to weddings the last two weekends.
    Saturday July 25 my wife and I attended the wedding of a friend's daughter. While masks were worn during the outside ceremony there was only limited mask wearing and little social distancing at the inside reception. I was somewhat uncomfortable.
    Last Saturday I attended another wedding with no one wearing masks during the church inside wedding or during the inside reception at another location. I wasn't crazy about that either, but it was the wedding of our youngest son, and as the groom and the groom's parents we had limited input on how things went. I wasn't going to miss my son's wedding.
    I don't blame you one bit. That would be a hard day to sit out. Sorry to hear about the extra stress.

Turn Off Ads?