Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Found out yesterday that all of our kids will be going back to brick and mortar school buildings on September 1. The grade schoolers will be there 5 days a week in "pods" (they will stay with the same group of 20-25 kids all day everyday). The high schooler will go half days in the morning four days a week (the other half of the school goes half days in the afternoon). They will be expected to get at least three hours of work to do on their own for the other half of the day (and enough to fill most of their day "off"). We'll see how it goes.

The Kansas State High School Athletics Association has decided to go ahead with sports (including football) on the normal schedule. First Friday night of football is scheduled to be September 4.

2. Likes:

jup (07-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Found out yesterday that all of our kids will be going back to brick and mortar school buildings on September 1. The grade schoolers will be there 5 days a week in "pods" (they will stay with the same group of 20-25 kids all day everyday). The high schooler will go half days in the morning four days a week (the other half of the school goes half days in the afternoon). They will be expected to get at least three hours of work to do on their own for the other half of the day (and enough to fill most of their day "off"). We'll see how it goes.

The Kansas State High School Athletics Association has decided to go ahead with sports (including football) on the normal schedule. First Friday night of football is scheduled to be September 4.
    Good for Kansas !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    As it should be.

If it works for half the people, it saves lives. And there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from getting another vaccination with a more effective one later on when one shows up (if it does).
    That's not what "50% effective" means.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That's not what "50% effective" means.
    Well, can you explain what it means?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, can you explain what it means?
    It’s how effective it is at providing immunity. At 50% efficacy, it probably wouldn’t prevent you from being infected, but it would be protective against some of the symptoms of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It’s how effective it is at providing immunity. At 50% efficacy, it probably wouldn’t prevent you from being infected, but it would be protective against some of the symptoms of it
    It’s that you will have 50% less cases in a vaccinated population vs an unvaccinated population, roundabout speaking. So no it won’t “work” for half the people vaccinated, but half the people vaccinated who would have gotten sick won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Good for Kansas !!!!!
    This is a terrible beyond stupid idea. I was someone who wanted to open schools at one point, but none of my kids will be going. Number of deaths are starting to go up and more complications are being discovered. That is a risk I am not willing to take.

10. Likes:

WrongVerb (07-31-2020)

The public schools will be open in my area as well under essentially the same model. Have yet to hear of a parent who plans to opt out.

Also note that this is still a month out, and a lot can change in a month.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 07-31-2020 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The public schools will be open in my area as well under essentially the same model. Have yet to hear of a parent who plans to opt out.

Also note that this is still a month out, and a lot can change in a month.
    Ohio' death rate and cases are increasing. I also have a problem with children being forced to wear masks all day. I just don't think it is the best idea when schools are petri dishes to begin with. You are putting everyone at risk. Adults can't even follow correct protocol. Again Kansas may be different though. I am strictly speaking on what I am seeing in Ohio.

I see nothing but groups of people ignoring mandates out and about, other than the grocery store. It's depressing and sad, it's like nothing is going on in their spoiled, selfish little worlds where their kids have to eat pizza out at restaurants, have to go to Applebee's (full parking lot at my nearest one every night) etc.., My gym is even worse with younger people showing-up in small groups with no masks and just standing around yapping and paying no attention to anyone else around them etc.., I'm now hearing of acquaintenances testing positive, they have no idea how they got it, and others who work in retail/restaurants catching it left and right.

This ain't going away and will just continue to get worse because too many Americans are truly selfish, spoiled and ignorant. It's depressing.

Why indoor restaurants and soon schools are open is beyond me, as well as movie theaters - none of these things should be open yet and the government should be doing more to support all these industries that can't operate instead of funding more military toys and survelliance drones.

14. Likes:

dougdirt (07-31-2020),mth123 (08-01-2020),Revering4Blue (08-01-2020),RFS62 (07-31-2020),SteelSD (07-31-2020),westofyou (08-01-2020),WrongVerb (07-31-2020)

My wife is a public school teacher, and her district is planning on resuming full 100 percent in person. A small percentage of student families are opting for full remote learning, but at this time they're expecting 80 percent of students in the classroom.

It's going to be a disaster.

I am going to make a prediction that I fully hope is wrong, but sadly I believe it will come to fruition: there is likely going to be a horrific spike of COVID cases in this country in September and October.

The belief that kids somehow do not transmit COVID from person-to-person (or are highly unlikely to do so) is short-shorted. This belief flies in the face of reality for every other communicable disease known in this world, because for all other communicable diseases kids are by far the highest group transmitting diseases to/from other people. I'm just not buying the fact that COVID is somehow substantially different from every other communicable disease in this aspect. My fear is that reopening schools is going to be a natural experiment that goes horribly wrong.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-19 Average Season: 70-92

16. Likes:

BoxingRed (08-02-2020),Revering4Blue (08-01-2020)

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...masks-minister

AMSTERDAM (REUTERS) - The Dutch government on Wednesday said it will not advise the public to wear masks to slow the spread of coronavirus, asserting that their effectiveness has not been proven.

The decision was announced by Minister for Medical Care Tamara van Ark after a review by the country's National Institute for Health (RIVM). The government will instead seek better adherence to social distancing rules after a surge in coronavirus cases in the country this week, Van Ark said at a press conference in The Hague.

Lol

Ohio mentioned as one of four states that experts are watching because of increases in positive tests.
    https://news.yahoo.com/dr-anthony-fa...231900149.html

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I see nothing but groups of people ignoring mandates out and about, other than the grocery store. It's depressing and sad, it's like nothing is going on in their spoiled, selfish little worlds where their kids have to eat pizza out at restaurants, have to go to Applebee's (full parking lot at my nearest one every night) etc.., My gym is even worse with younger people showing-up in small groups with no masks and just standing around yapping and paying no attention to anyone else around them etc.., I'm now hearing of acquaintenances testing positive, they have no idea how they got it, and others who work in retail/restaurants catching it left and right.

This ain't going away and will just continue to get worse because too many Americans are truly selfish, spoiled and ignorant. It's depressing.

Why indoor restaurants and soon schools are open is beyond me, as well as movie theaters - none of these things should be open yet and the government should be doing more to support all these industries that can't operate instead of funding more military toys and survelliance drones.
    I find your post quite shocking. You claim to be able to look souls of your fellow Americans and see them as the "selfish, spoiled and ignorant" people that they are. How did you get the power to read people minds and motivations so precisely based only on their non-adherence to a mask mandate? And who appointed you judge anyway?

If you took the time to have a civil discussion with these people, my hypothesis is that you would find wide variability in their motivations- some self-serving, some principled. But when I read this post you come off as having an inquisitor's disposition and yet somehow believe yourself to be a victim. There is resentment here so deep I wonder if Reason can possibly play any role moving forward.

21. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-01-2020),redhawkfish (08-01-2020),Rojo (08-02-2020)

Turn Off Ads?