Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You have nothing to back your argument up. Nothing. The vast majority of millennials who didn’t attend college are doing much worse than Gen Xers or Boomers in the same cohort. Yes, Millennials with degrees are earning plenty now but they’re also saddled with massive debt. This is inarguable. You don’t know what you’re talking about on this issue. At all.
    Oh, they got hard screwed on debt and housing costs. No question about that. Yet career delay? Not particularly. It is funny though to hear you make appeals to evidence, like that's something you use. I mean this is a whole topic on COVID-19 about which you've been information averse.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You might want to ask some Boomers what the job market was like in the mid-70s (hint: crap).
    I remember when my hitch in the Army was almost up in '74, and I called my dad and asked him how the job market was (I was overseas). He said, "Well, if there is something you can do over there, you better do that. There are grown men here working for less than minimum wage just to get any kind of job." So I got a European discharge and went from there.

4. Likes:

M2 (09-16-2020)

I mean this is a whole topic on COVID-19 about which you've been information averse.
    Because the statistics surrounding Covid are currently written in water. They’re utterly unreliable. We don’t know what they mean and we don’t know what they can predict (vis. spread and fatality). What is reliable are BLS stats.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I remember when my hitch in the Army was almost up in '74, and I called my dad and asked him how the job market was (I was overseas). He said, "Well, if there is something you can do over there, you better do that. There are grown men here working for less than minimum wage just to get any kind of job." So I got a European discharge and went from there.
    Yet somehow Boomers became the richest generation in human history. Something none of the subsequent generations will ever sniff. Pity the rich man.

7. Likes:

Rojo (09-17-2020)

Yet somehow Boomers became the richest generation in human history. Something none of the subsequent generations will ever sniff. Pity the rich man.
    Yes they will.

You know what the biggest problem for "subsequent generations" was? Easy credit. People are stupid with money, and it's way too easy to get a store credit card and charge up a bunch of stuff and before you know it you're paying more in credit card interest than your rent is. There are couples making $100k a year and living paycheck to paycheck. Maybe I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but one thing we taught our kids is the concept of compound interest and how it can help you and hurt you. We also turned them loose at 18 and told them to figure it out. And you know what? They are all doing great. It isn't hard.

9. Likes:

mth123 (09-16-2020)

Hoping to change my username to 75769023

11. Likes:

Rojo (09-17-2020)

Yes they will.

You know what the biggest problem for "subsequent generations" was? Easy credit. People are stupid with money, and it's way too easy to get a store credit card and charge up a bunch of stuff and before you know it you're paying more in credit card interest than your rent is. There are couples making $100k a year and living paycheck to paycheck. Maybe I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but one thing we taught our kids is the concept of compound interest and how it can help you and hurt you. We also turned them loose at 18 and told them to figure it out. And you know what? They are all doing great. It isn't hard.
    I’m sorry but this is confusing cause with effect. This is inaccurate.

13. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-16-2020)

No it isn't. I mean, really, if you avoid racking up unnecessary debt, it makes it so much easier to get ahead. It's really quite simple, but this is the instant gratification generation.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

this is the instant gratification generation.

16. Likes:

Rojo (09-17-2020)

No it isn't. I mean, really, if you avoid racking up unnecessary debt, it makes it so much easier to get ahead. It's really quite simple, but this is the instant gratification generation.
    Millennials—especially those without college degrees, which of course is the vast majority of the population —earn quite a bit less than Boomers and Gen Xers. Forget credit card debt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Really really loud fart noise

18. Likes:

Rojo (09-17-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-16-2020)

Agree. Banks have been exploiting the working class with high interest loans that the banks know take a lifetime to payback since banks have existed. This isn’t a new problem.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

20. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-16-2020)

Anyway staying on topic, CDC Director Robert Redfield says not to expect a COVID vaccine for general availability until next summer - https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-...ll-2021-2020-9.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Anyway staying on topic, CDC Director Robert Redfield says not to expect a COVID vaccine for general availability until next summer - https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-...ll-2021-2020-9.
    That’s both unsurprising and probably good news.

23. Likes:

Rojo (09-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Agree. Banks have been exploiting the working class with high interest loans that the banks know take a lifetime to payback since banks have existed. This isn’t a new problem.
    Actually, it is a problem that started in the mid 90's. With the advent of credit card company roping in college students, and stores offering their branded cards, the debt was set in motion. Before that, there was layaway.

Anyway, no one is holding a gun to a college kid's head to rack up a bunch of debt at the pizza parlor, or a young couple to rack up ten grand at Home Depot. But we've had this discussion before, and you were of the opinion that not having a new washer and dryer is paramount to being sent to an internment camp.

25. Likes:

westofyou (09-16-2020)

I'm closing the thread; as it's near enough to 1K.

If you folks want to actually discuss COVID, then by all means start another thread, though I can't see how any of you still have it in you to continue trying to persuade anyone's minds on anything related to this virus.

27. Likes:

Boss-Hog (09-16-2020),redhawkfish (09-16-2020),RiverRat13 (09-17-2020),WildcatFan (09-17-2020)

Turn Off Ads?