Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Well done, upper middle class parent. Well done. Delayed careers—it happened in the Great Recession. But of course that fell into your neoliberal memory hole.
    You're on dumb pills. Read the ages. My 20-year-old daughter is working in a restaurant with a booming takeout business (she the one who just moved). Explain to me what that's got to with being upper middle class. My son just graduated and is making his money in the glitzy hardware game. He'll probably get on a career track in the next year or so, but he's just filling up his bank account at a generic job at the moment.

And "delayed careers"? You mean like us 30 years ago? Maybe that's your own neoliberal memory hole you're staring into.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You're on dumb pills. Read the ages. My 20-year-old daughter is working in a restaurant with a booming takeout business (she the one who just moved). Explain to me what that's got to with being upper middle class. My son just graduated and is making his money in the glitzy hardware game. He'll probably get on a career track in the next year or so, but he's just filling up his bank account at a generic job at the moment.

And "delayed careers"? You mean like us 30 years ago? Maybe that's your own neoliberal memory hole you're staring into.
    When the hell did you and I start our careers during a recession the likes of 2007-2011 (and the aftermath)?

When the hell did you and I start our careers during a recession the likes of 2007-2011 (and the aftermath)?
    Gen Z refers to 2007-11 as their K-8 years. Perhaps Prevagen would restore your cognitive function.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Because it would have to be more than just staying at home (which is hard enough, by itself).

COVID is easily transmitted, especially indoors. So no visitors for granny either.

So your question is really, "why can't we just pay Granny to stay inside her home and never have visitors, except maybe on the front driveway, 6 feet apart, no touching?"

And honestly, that question doesn't even merit a response.
    I mean, it’s still widespread enough that nobody should be visiting the elderly right now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I mean, it’s still widespread enough that nobody should be visiting the elderly right now anyway.
    Sucks to be old then, but f em, I guess?

Isolation is torture, after a while.

The cruelty in suggesting that we should just get back to it and let the chips fall where they may with granny, is... it's something.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Gen Z refers to 2007-11 as their K-8 years. Perhaps Prevagen would restore your cognitive function.
    Ace. Keep up. Millennials had their careers delayed in the Great Recession. Gen Z is getting their own private recession on steroids right now. Good lord.

Anyway, I went on the market in 93 and got hired in 94. I’ve had it eaaaaaasy. Unlike the two generations that have followed me.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-16-2020 at 05:46 PM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Sucks to be old then, but f em, I guess?

Isolation is torture, after a while.

The cruelty in suggesting that we should just get back to it and let the chips fall where they may with granny, is... it's something.
    And I am saying that’s what most people are already doing. I mean yeah it sucks, what sucks more making everybody do that or making some people do that? Especially when you factor in the economic impact, deciding not to take a potentially beneficial course of action on the pandemic because it’s kind of a temporary bummer for a small portion of people seems like a pretty bad idea (especially when it’s something that those people are probably already doing anyway.)
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 09-16-2020 at 05:50 PM.

9. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-16-2020),Rojo (09-17-2020)

I don't know where you're getting the idea that things used to be better, but it really sucked in the 70's and 80's too.

There is plenty of work right out there now, assuming a person studied something of value. But even a kid who just graduated high school can pull down a grand a week if he shows up to work.

11. Likes:

mth123 (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I don't know where you're getting the idea that things used to be better, but it really sucked in the 70's and 80's too.

There is plenty of work right out there now, assuming a person studied something of value. But even a kid who just graduated high school can pull down a grand a week if he shows up to work.
    Yes. I’m 53. I remember the 80’s. Thank you. And you don’t know what you’re talking about. Comparing the late 80’s and 92 recessions to the Great Recession is like comparing the Reds to the Yankees. You don’t think it was bad because you were ensconced and safe in your career. The numbers about the GR do not lie. And they are ugly, particularly for millennials.

Yes. I’m 53. I remember the 80’s. Thank you. And you don’t know what you’re talking about. Comparing the late 80’s and 92 recessions to the Great Recession is like comparing the Reds to the Yankees. You don’t think it was bad because you were ensconced and safe in your career. The numbers about the GR do not lie. And they are ugly, particularly for millennials.
    Well, I had to deal with the "great recession" like everyone else, and I know where you got the idea that it was safe. It didn't only affect millennials.

I'm just saying that if someone wants to work now, there is plenty of work.

Ace. Keep up. Millennials had their careers delayed in the Great Recession. Gen Z is getting their own private recession on steroids right now. Good lord.
    Keep up? Like how Millennials who were on the career path arc (aka college educated) did just fine getting onto a career path. Or maybe how I don't know much of anyone who didn't have a 3+ year career delay at the front edge of Gen X and they eventually did fine too. You might want to ask some Boomers what the job market was like in the mid-70s (hint: crap). But Gen Z is ruined forever?

I don't mean to come between you and your cherished Club for Growth talking points, but you maybe ought to devote a moment's thought to this stuff before you parrot it.

Well, I had to deal with the "great recession" like everyone else, and I know where you got the idea that it was safe. It didn't only affect millennials.

I'm just saying that if someone wants to work now, there is plenty of work.
    14.6% U6 says otherwise. I’m thinking you’re thinking that super-skilled labor has openings. Yeah it always does. That’s called visa caps. These 30 million people were doing all kinds of lower skilled jobs and they’re gone. Many of them forever. Just because they aren’t super-skilled, they deserve to eat.

Keep up? Like how Millennials who were on the career path arc (aka college educated) did just fine getting onto a career path. Or maybe how I don't know much of anyone who didn't have a 3+ year career delay at the front edge of Gen X and they eventually did fine too. You might want to ask some Boomers what the job market was like in the mid-70s (hint: crap). But Gen Z is ruined forever?

I don't mean to come between you and your cherished Club for Growth talking points, but you maybe ought to devote a moment's thought to this stuff before you parrot it.
    You have nothing to back your argument up. Nothing. The vast majority of millennials who didn’t attend college are doing much worse than Gen Xers or Boomers in the same cohort. Yes, Millennials with degrees are earning plenty now but they’re also saddled with massive debt. This is inarguable. You don’t know what you’re talking about on this issue. At all.

https://money.com/millenials-poorer-generation-x/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/11/polit...-us/index.html

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/essa...r-generations/
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-16-2020 at 06:23 PM.

17. Likes:

Rojo (09-17-2020)

The supermarkets around me are hiring full-time with benes starting at $20 an hour.

14.6% U6 says otherwise. I’m thinking you’re thinking that super-skilled labor has openings. Yeah it always does. That’s called visa caps. These 30 million people were doing all kinds of lower skilled jobs and they’re gone. Many of them forever. Just because they aren’t super-skilled, they deserve to eat.
    No, I'm not talking about the super killed. Heck, my 17 year old averaged $1200-$1500 a week this summer by working construction. My nephew make a grand a week at a distribution center. Those are two unskilled jobs where the only requirement is to show up on time and not be a drug addict. And if someone at least has a trade, the sky is the limit.

But yeah, it sucks if someone wants to get rich working at Waffle House or Home Depot, but it's always been that way.

Turn Off Ads?