Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    But why does it have to be like that though? Why couldn’t you pay at risk people or people who live with the at risk to stay home?
    You won’t get an answer to this. Because he rolled his 100-sided die and Chuck Schumer has killed Mitch the Orc and everyone got Covid relief.

2. Likes:

Crumbley (09-16-2020),Rojo (09-17-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

But why does it have to be like that though? Why couldn’t you pay at risk people or people who live with the at risk to stay home?
    It's hard to assign the risk surgically and to keep everyone separated. I mean, you could try that. The benefit would be some people would be getting compensated. I suspect the overall net effect, especially given that we have large numbers of people walking the disease around at this moment, is the death rate wouldn't change. You'd just be swapping out a lower percentage of those in the high risk category for a larger percentage of those in the low risk category (basically Law of Large Numbers). It's what we've been seeing in Florida and Texas for 2+ months - lots of new cases, the death toll mounting at a steady rate.

Your idea strikes me as more of a transitional plan for a nation that's gotten its numbers below a certain threshold. So, I'd take it as better than nothing, but in a nation with lots of corona running around the general population, I don't think it will move the needle.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-16-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's hard to assign the risk surgically and to keep everyone separated. I mean, you could try that. The benefit would be some people would be getting compensated. I suspect the overall net effect, especially given that we have large numbers of people walking the disease around at this moment, is the death rate wouldn't change. You'd just be swapping out a lower percentage of those in the high risk category for a larger percentage of those in the low risk category (basically Law of Large Numbers). It's what we've been seeing in Florida and Texas for 2+ months - lots of new cases, the death toll mounting at a steady rate.

Your idea strikes me as more of a transitional plan for a nation that's gotten its numbers below a certain threshold. So, I'd take it as better than nothing, but in a nation with lots of corona running around the general population, I don't think it will move the needle.
    That’s fair, I can also see this perspective on it as well.

7. Likes:

M2 (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    My answer is keep granny quarantined and treat every job now as if it were essential. Because it is.
    That has less chance of happening than the government providing help to those unemployed.

You ask for realistic answers, but your answer is more fantasy than the ones you are rejecting. (Plus you answer leads to millions more deaths)
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

M2 (09-16-2020)

Because it would have to be more than just staying at home (which is hard enough, by itself).

COVID is easily transmitted, especially indoors. So no visitors for granny either.

So your question is really, "why can't we just pay Granny to stay inside her home and never have visitors, except maybe on the front driveway, 6 feet apart, no touching?"

And honestly, that question doesn't even merit a response.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That has less chance of happening than the government providing help to those unemployed.

You ask for realistic answers, but your answer is more fantasy than the ones you are rejecting. (Plus you answer leads to millions more deaths)
    First, no. Not millions. Probably not even as many as have already died worldwide. You realize that Congress has tabled a vote till after Election Day. That’s not speculation. It’s a fact. So what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Because it would have to be more than just staying at home (which is hard enough, by itself).

COVID is easily transmitted, especially indoors. So no visitors for granny either.

So your question is really, "why can't we just pay Granny to stay inside her home and never have visitors, except maybe on the front driveway, 6 feet apart, no touching?"

And honestly, that question doesn't even merit a response.
    I mean we’re already asking Gen Z to throw away their future earnings. Why stop there?

You won’t get an answer to this. Because he rolled his 100-sided die and Chuck Schumer has killed Mitch the Orc and everyone got Covid relief.
    Sorry, it seems I was posting my answer to that at the exact same moment you were posting this. Dork.

First, no. Not millions. Probably not even as many as have already died worldwide. You realize that Congress has tabled a vote till after Election Day. That’s not speculation. It’s a fact. So what to do?
    Congress isn't going to do anything. The states have opened up as far as they can, some had to roll it back when they opened up too far.

There isn't anything else to do but hope Congress does something, anything.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Looks like they're fighting over whether it's $2.2 trillion or $1.5 trillion, so of course the logical thing is for there to be $0 instead.

Sorry, it seems I was posting my answer to that at the exact same moment you were posting this. Dork.
    Which of course is the opposite of a plan. It simply extends an unsustainable status quo. More immiseration, more permanent unemployment. More inequality. More voters to be radicalized.

17. Likes:

Rojo (09-17-2020)

I mean we’re already asking Gen Z to throw away their future earnings. Why stop there?
    How is Gen Z throwing away its future earnings? Or even present earnings? My Gen Z kids are both working jobs and making money. Got way more cash in their bank accounts than I did at ages 23 and 20. One of them just moved into her own place.

How is Gen Z throwing away its future earnings? Or even present earnings? My Gen Z kids are both working jobs and making money. Got way more cash in their bank accounts than I did at ages 23 and 20. One of them just moved into her own place.
    Well done, upper middle class parent. Well done. Delayed careers—it happened in the Great Recession. But of course that fell into your neoliberal memory hole.

20. Likes:

Crumbley (09-16-2020),Rojo (09-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Congress isn't going to do anything. The states have opened up as far as they can, some had to roll it back when they opened up too far.

There isn't anything else to do but hope Congress does something, anything.
    Yep. States/cities are just going to keep opening/closing and muddling through until the feds step up.

I mean 14.6% U6. What could go wrong?

Turn Off Ads?