Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    For all the accusations i've taken about my heartlessness, I think the Covid panic mongers are missing this. We're arguing about schools where nobody gets sick and masks that probably do little to nothing. Meanwhile almost all the deaths are of the elderly, half of them in care homes.
    Regarding masks, the false security is really coming to light. At one of my customers, they are extremely anal about screening and masks and sanitizing. I work there about three days a week, and one time I lowered my mask slightly to drink from a bottle of water, and a safety engineer came running up and said "You have to wear you mask at all times, no exceptions! If you need to eat or drink, you have to go outside or to one of the controlled break rooms".

Anyway, all was good until last week when five engineers turned up positive. They were not partying at bars, they don't hang out after work, and it was determined that it had to have come from the workplace. They all wore mask 100% of the time and social distancing was a minimum of 10 feet where they work and it was well ventilated. But even a quality medical mask lets 30% of particles through, and these particles will be the ones that are light and float around. People who are vulnerable and go out to eat and shop in public are kidding themselves. Of course a mask helps, but it's just common sense that anything but a respirator is going to let the virus out, as it did at this plant. If I was overweight or diabetic or had underlying respiratory issues, I wouldn't leave the house.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Regarding masks, the false security is really coming to light. At one of my customers, they are extremely anal about screening and masks and sanitizing. I work there about three days a week, and one time I lowered my mask slightly to drink from a bottle of water, and a safety engineer came running up and said "You have to wear you mask at all times, no exceptions! If you need to eat or drink, you have to go outside or to one of the controlled break rooms".

Anyway, all was good until last week when five engineers turned up positive. They were not partying at bars, they don't hang out after work, and it was determined that it had to have come from the workplace. They all wore mask 100% of the time and social distancing was a minimum of 10 feet where they work and it was well ventilated. But even a quality medical mask lets 30% of particles through, and these particles will be the ones that are light and float around.
    If everyone was staying ten feet away from each other, wearing masks, washing their hands and there was quality ventilation, there is no way an outbreak would happen. One person gets it, a definite possibility, but not five at once. I am guessing protocol was broken. I would bet on it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4. Likes:

dabvu2498 (08-10-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If everyone was staying ten feet away from each other, wearing masks, washing their hands and there was quality ventilation, there is no way an outbreak would happen. One person gets it, a definite possibility, but not five at once. I am guessing protocol was broken. I would bet on it.
    Of course you would say that.

No, protocol was not broken. I didn't say it was five at once- it could have been over a number of days, but they were in the same general area. These are professionals that are trying like hell to keep the plant open.

Masks let 30% of the particulates through. It's quite simple.

Of course a mask helps, but it's just common sense that anything but a respirator is going to let the virus out, as it did at this plant. If I was overweight or diabetic or had underlying respiratory issues, I wouldn't leave the house.
    Honesty, I'm not even sure a mask helps a little. It might. But I don't want to fight over it because I don't think it hurts to wear one (although it might actually might -- but in the short-run).

You fight viruses on the inside.

The protocols are wishcraft.

Of course you would say that.

No, protocol was not broken. I didn't say it was five at once- it could have been over a number of days, but they were in the same general area. These are professionals that are trying like hell to keep the plant open.

Masks let 30% of the particulates through. It's quite simple.
    The farthest droplets from your mouth travel is 10 feet, and that is only with a very big sneeze. If you are wearing a mask while sneezing, that drops to around 3 feet. So protocol was broken, which happens, even if everyone is trying to safe.

Anyway, now that your story has changed, that does make more sense, and is more believable. Five different people in a large company over a period of time isn’t that unordinary, even if people are doing their best to follow the rules. This is a highly contagious disease. But that does mean that someone or someone’s didn’t follow protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Honesty, I'm not even sure a mask helps a little. It might. But I don't want to fight over it because I don't think it hurts to wear one (although it might actually might -- but in the short-run).

You fight viruses on the inside.
    It has to help, because like most cold viruses, it is airborne. But for someone who is vulnerable who thinks that a mask makes it safe to eat a rice pilaf on the patio or shop for his favorite yummies at Kroger is kidding himself.

The farthest droplets from your mouth travel is 10 feet, and that is only with a very big sneeze. If you are wearing a mask while sneezing, that drops to around 3 feet. So protocol was broken, which happens, even if everyone is trying to safe.

Anyway, now that your story has changed, that does make more sense, and is more believable. Five different people in a large company over a period of time isn’t that unordinary, even if people are doing their best to follow the rules. This is a highly contagious disease. But that does mean that someone or someone’s didn’t follow protocol.
    My story didn't change, and protocol was not broken. I said five people tested positive, and they were in an engineering group in one area of the plant. I didn't say how large the plant was, but in this case there were approximately 30 people in that area, which allowed about 1000 sqft per person. The only time they even came within 10 feet of each other is when they were near the 3d printing area.

You are ignoring physics. The smallest particles can float in the air, and if you could actually see the air flow, you would see how far these particles float. Take an OSHA class sometime and you'll see why respirators are required when it really matters.

11. Likes:

Rojo (08-10-2020)

It has to help, because like most cold viruses, it is airborne.
    Doubtful. Have we just discovered how helpful mask are for cold and flu spread in the last four months.

No. Because most of the studies show it does nothing.

My story didn't change, and protocol was not broken. I said five people tested positive, and they were in an engineering group in one area of the plant. I didn't say how large the plant was, but in this case there were approximately 30 people in that area, which allowed about 1000 sqft per person. The only time they even came within 10 feet of each other is when they were near the 3d printing area.

You are ignoring physics. The smallest particles can float in the air, and if you could actually see the air flow, you would see how far these particles float. Take an OSHA class sometime and you'll see why respirators are required when it really matters.
    As I mentioned in other threads, I am in charge of a project and had to develop and implement a Covid prevention plan for the project. I know much more about this than you, trust me. I have to, I am responsible for the health of all my employees.

Anyway, we agree now that the full story has been told.

As I mentioned in other threads, I am in charge of a project and had to develop and implement a Covid prevention plan for the project. I know much more about this than you, trust me. I have to, I am responsible for the health of all my employees.

It didn't come from Cuomo did it?

Oh, you are in charge of a project? And that makes you an expert now? Please. You want to guess how much planning businesses that employ thousands have to go through and what they've done? If you really knew anything, you would understand the limitations of masks. This has been known for decades, and is why there is even a standard for the various levels of masks. I told the full story right from the beginning, but you had to manufacture your own little story around it, as you usually do.

There are only two explanations- One, they are getting together and having little maskless orgies in the janitor's closet and didn't tell anyone, or two, since 30% of the particles get out, they were floating around the air and eventually infected people even though they were following protocol. None of them even had a clue they were infected, and the ones that tested negative don't know if they already had it.

The

16. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-10-2020)

Oh, you are in charge of a project? And that makes you an expert now? Please. You want to guess how much planning businesses that employ thousands have to go through and what they've done? If you really knew anything, you would understand the limitations of masks. This has been known for decades, and is why there is even a standard for the various levels of masks. I told the full story right from the beginning, but you had to manufacture your own little story around it, as you usually do.

There are only two explanations- One, they are getting together and having little maskless orgies in the janitor's closet and didn't tell anyone, or two, since 30% of the particles get out, they were floating around the air and eventually infected people even though they were following protocol. None of them even had a clue they were infected, and the ones that tested negative don't know if they already had it.

The
    I agree with you on the masks. If all they were doing was wearing masks, then an outbreak is likely. Masks are not a panacea. I said we agree.

However, you said that they were staying ten feet away from each other at all time and the ventilation was good. If that was the case, and they were wearing masks, then an outbreak is nearly impossible. One person may get it through random chance, but not five at once.

For five at once to get it, some protocol had to be broken, mostly likely that they weren’t staying ten feet away from each other at all times.

But your story changed to include that five did not get it at once, and that the weren’t staying ten feet apart at all times, since they were close together whenever using the 3D printer. Once that information was revealed, then the story was believable. It is quite possible for five people to get it at different times over time, especially if they are not staying ten feet away from each at all times.

Again, we agree once all the facts were revealed.

The
    I’ve never encountered an ego quite like 7578309’s before. He revels and delights in being both constantly wrong and arrogant about it.

19. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (08-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I’ve never encountered an ego quite like 7578309’s before. He revels and delights in being both constantly wrong and arrogant about it.
    Please point out what I am wrong about. Thank you.

Turn Off Ads?