Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 65 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    That's the joke.
    I guess I missed it McBain.

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-24-2020),mole44 (07-24-2020),Rdirtypirates (07-24-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Also maybe cultural?
    Could be. Don’t know. Capitalist, plural, international, democratic. No state religion. But there certainly are differences. Just don’t which ones are relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Could be. Don’t know. Capitalist, plural, international, democratic. No state religion. But there certainly are differences. Just don’t which ones are relevant.
    But you have questions about why Bangladeshis and the Vietnamese have responded differently because they both live in jungles?

Cool.

Yeah I don’t think we’ve done a good job handling things. But where did things go wrong?

No masks?
    Opening up early/shutting down late?
    Testing/tracing issues? (We do test more than anyone)
    Other?

I am just genuinely curious where things went wrong. One can say “well it’s all of the above” but I suspect some things are more important than others.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Yeah I don’t think we’ve done a good job handling things. But where did things go wrong?

No masks?
    Opening up early/shutting down late?
    Testing/tracing issues? (We do test more than anyone)
    Other?

I am just genuinely curious where things went wrong. One can say “well it’s all of the above” but I suspect some things are more important than others.
    Didn't coordinate a country wide shutdown. Initial testing kits were flawed.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

757690 (07-23-2020),Bob Sheed (07-24-2020),Revering4Blue (07-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Agreeing with you and adding more detail.

It’s been shown with data a few times in every incarnation of this thread.

Places that took it seriously, instituted a national plan (plans vary by place) that emphasized testing and contract tracing, overall did much better than those that didn’t. With anything, a few exceptions on both sides, but the evidence is rather clear on this.

I am sure after this is over, we will learn more and be able to provide more detail, more nuance, but right now, we really don’t need to go much deeper than that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Given the constitutional limitations, a coordinated national shutdown was never going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Given the constitutional limitations, a coordinated national shutdown was never going to happen.
    I agree. It had to be done state by state. But we saw for around a month every state shut down in someway. With national direction, it could have been stronger and better coordinated.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I agree. It had to be done state by state. But we saw for around a month every state shut down in someway. With national direction, it could have been stronger and better coordinated.
    The first time the feds tried to unilaterally put in place a hardline national policy, they were told (correctly) they had no say in the matter. You couldn't have gotten 10 states on the same page, let alone 50. Frankly, I think national input could only make things worse given the partisan nature of these things.

One of the big issues was the NY subway system never being shut down. Various studies suggest a majority of the country's cases may be directly traced back there.

Going forward, it just comes down to personal responsibility and common courtesy. We can't realistically shut down again as most of the population won't comply.

The thing I worry about more than anything is young kids. They need to be in school, not only for learning but socializing.

14. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-24-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    That's why I chose the word "coordinated." It couldn't be imposed.

That said, perhaps we've found a flaw in federalism. A Constitutional Amendment might be needed for situations like this in the future.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

16. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-24-2020)

Y’all are a deeply incurious bunch.
    It's like we got to the end of the Scooby-Doo episode, they've pulled the mask off the supposed ghost to reveal it was the creepy groundskeeper and you're still wondering where the ghost went.

Public health is a real and important function inside of government. We rely on people to do it well. We're getting a lesson in what happens when we don't. Every success story on this disease has identified where it has spread, taken measures to stop its transmission and kept those measures in place until the numbers got extremely low. We've fallen down miserably on those last two points.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

Hypnotoad (07-24-2020),mth123 (07-24-2020),westofyou (07-24-2020)

That said, perhaps we've found a flaw in federalism. A Constitutional Amendment might be needed for situations like this in the future.
    I think that would be opening up a huge can of worms. I don't think you'd see any support for that politically, but if it somehow passed, we all know it would be exploited.

One of the things some Asian countries have going for them are social norms (ie: cleanliness, obedience). Then of course there are other countries where they can shut down regions by force and pretty much eliminate your rights.

Honestly, the thing that hurts us the most is our freedom to do almost anything we want. That includes the freedom to be stupid/selfish, which is on full display right now. This morning, all I had on my twitter timeline was photos of mass protests with most people wearing masks incorrectly or not wearing them at all.

20. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-24-2020),mth123 (07-24-2020)

Even in 1918 there were anti-mask protesters. So yeah it could be something baked into the culture.

1. Greed
    2. Stupidity
    3. Selfishness
    4. Malevolence
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    1. Greed
    2. Stupidity
    3. Selfishness
    4. Malevolence
    The four horseman of US Politics.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?