Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Yep. I think we scan to discern what "side" someone's on and proceed to toss out whatever information's presented based on that.
    I’m sure all sorts of files are being drawn up on me. Closet Trump fan, conspiracy nut, libertarian. Whatever. Don’t care. This entire thing is entirely too bizarre to be neatly bundled up in a single narrative. Even if there’s some truth to that official narrative.

2. Likes:

Rojo (07-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Texas might be becoming the next New York

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/us/te...rus/index.html
    A Texas hospital overwhelmed by the coronavirus may send some patients home to die
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

I’m sure I’ll be told I’m wrong but I don’t think Starr County, Texas is “Texas.”

Starr County is extremely rural and has had 20 COVID deaths so far (worldometer- if other sources differ so be it). Per the article things are extremely dire there and my heart goes out to that area. It’s actually the highest percentage Hispanic county in the US (95%) with a heart-breaking median 16k household income. I fear it is an area being “left behind” during this crisis.

That said, I wouldn’t use this tragic example to say TX=NY.

7. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (07-27-2020),jup (07-24-2020)

Really !!!!

You want to make a rural hospital, in a border area, with only 20 some odd Covid beds sound like NY City ????

You have just stooped to a new all time low 757690

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/healt...rus/index.html

Notice in the article where it says

Officials estimate about a quarter of a million US citizens live across the border in the Mexican state of Baja California. Many work in the US and have family members there. Some regularly go to US hospitals when they need medical attention. Others decided to cross this time because Mexican hospitals were overwhelmed by a crush of coronavirus cases.
    Believe it or not, it is a problem in Mexico that is getting exported to the US, because US citizens living in Mexico, catch it in Mexico, want to get treatment in the US and come stateside. They are US citizens and have every right to do that. And statistically they are counted just as if they were living in the US.
    Last edited by jup; 07-24-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’m sure I’ll be told I’m wrong but I don’t think Starr County, Texas is “Texas.”

Starr County is extremely rural and has had 20 COVID deaths so far (worldometer- if other sources differ so be it). Per the article things are extremely dire there and my heart goes out to that area. It’s actually the highest percentage Hispanic county in the US (95%) with a heart-breaking median 16k household income. I fear it is an area being “left behind” during this crisis.

That said, I wouldn’t use this tragic example to say TX=NY.
    Never said TX=NY

I said it might be becoming Texas. The county is in Texas. This is how it starts.

I could post more, but didn’t want to look like I was piling on. Here is one about the whole state.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07...s-coronavirus/

Texas hospitals are running out of drugs, beds, ventilators and even staff

A coronavirus patient in Anahuac was flown by helicopter to a hospital in El Campo — 120 miles away — because closer facilities could not take him.

Ambulances are waiting up to 10 hours to deliver patients to packed Hidalgo County emergency rooms.

And short-staffed hospitals in Midland and Odessa have had to turn away ailing COVID-19 patients from rural West Texas facilities that can’t offer the care they need.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

K
    Never said TX=NY

I said it might be becoming Texas. The county is in Texas. This is how it starts.

I could post more, but didn’t want to look like I was piling on. Here is one about the whole state.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07...s-coronavirus/
    We could argue what “becoming” means but letting that go, I wouldn’t have initially put up the Starr County example alone as to opine that Texas might become NY. Few free to add any sources - it’s not piling on.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I’m sure all sorts of files are being drawn up on me. Closet Trump fan, conspiracy nut, libertarian. Whatever. Don’t care. This entire thing is entirely too bizarre to be neatly bundled up in a single narrative. Even if there’s some truth to that official narrative.
    I already have pigeon holed you and Rojo as really tall skeptics

12. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-25-2020),kaldaniels (07-24-2020),Rojo (07-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    AZ seems to have got their outbreak under control a few weeks back. Tx has had a stabilized positivity rate and their hospitalizations fell today for the first time in about 6 weeks after plateauing for about 10 days.

So hot spot or screw up is very debatable at the moment. Looking more like hot spots than screw ups in both TX and AZ.

Could turn around and go up with the next reporting cycle. But the testing and hospitalizations, saying they are getting their hands around the outbreak. At least with the current data there is to peruse. And pretty darn quickly at that.
    Did you by any chance read this part of your graphic?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Texas Hospitalization 07.23.20.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	16300

Wouldn't it maybe more prudent to wait on the rest of the data and days before projecting that Texas is "getting their hands around the outbreak", particularly given that the state's two highest daily death totals were reported on 07/22 and 07/24?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Did you by any chance read this part of your graphic?

Name:	Texas Hospitalization 07.23.20.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	16300

Wouldn't it maybe more prudent to wait on the rest of the data and days before projecting that Texas is "getting their hands around the outbreak", particularly given that the state's two highest daily death totals were reported on 07/22 and 07/24?
    So Steel, I was aware of that and the same for the AZ numbers. But I'm looking to the early markers, the leading indicators, and that is what I watch.

Deaths are terrible and I wish for as few as possible, but watching lagging indicators is like driving looking in the rear view mirror. My interest lies in the states getting a handle on the outbreak so we aren't driving to the morgue any more, and those numbers lie in the leading indicators.

Hospitalizations up some over yesterday's steep drop but still down from the plateau. Hope the trend continues.

Name:	Screenshot (67).png 
Views:	20 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	16301

Positivity definitely going in the right direction now. More than a blip, definitely a trend

Name:	Screenshot (69).png 
Views:	16 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	16302

Kind of interesting looking at the AZ positivity and death graphs in overlay.

Not a perfect fit and I couldn't tell you how good the correlation is at any given time for the fit. But it is pretty good by eyeball and definitely descriptive.

Would have thought there would be more lag time but it seems to be 8-ish or 10-ish days

Name:	AZ Covid overlay.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	16303

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I've been "Putin's puppet" for three plus years.

Yes, there is some truth to the official narrative, a lot of truth even. But there's a ton of noise surrounding C-19 and I find the willingness to accept a global shut-down, the berating of strangers, the callousness for the poor and the toxificattion of dissent pretty chilling.

Now I do wear a mask, but when I'm on a long hike, I usually keep it in my hands and bring it up to my mouth/nose as someone gets closer. Today, as I walked by an outdoor eatery I momentarily forgot and, well, everyone there was eating and drinking and talking without a mask. But that didn't stop some woman from shooting me a dirty look. I'm sorry how does this make sense? Everyone's probably a spit fountain while eating. Her companion and other diners were all mask-less and closer to her than I. I mean if this is truly Black Death, then clear the sidewalks, stop the protests and get serious. But this incident shows me that it's not really about public health at this point, it's about something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I've been "Putin's puppet" for three plus years.

Yes, there is some truth to the official narrative, a lot of truth even. But there's a ton of noise surrounding C-19 and I find the willingness to accept a global shut-down, the berating of strangers, the callousness for the poor and the toxificattion of dissent pretty chilling.

Now I do wear a mask, but when I'm on a long hike, I usually keep it in my hands and bring it up to my mouth/nose as someone gets closer. Today, as I walked by an outdoor eatery I momentarily forgot and, well, everyone there was eating and drinking and talking without a mask. But that didn't stop some woman from shooting me a dirty look. I'm sorry how does this make sense? Everyone's probably a spit fountain while eating. Her companion and other diners were all mask-less and closer to her than I. I mean if this is truly Black Death, then clear the sidewalks, stop the protests and get serious. But this incident shows me that it's not really about public health at this point, it's about something else.
    Extremists on both sides, which these days is just about everybody in both parties, have made it, and everything else, about something else. The real problem is that it really is about public health and its been lost in the rhetoric coming from the Politicians and the Media.

All I want is for people to stay away from me and have a mask on when we must get too close for comfort. I could care less what their politics are.

I think what you are doing on the hike is the right thing. Why do you seem to be arguing so hard against it?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Extremists on both sides, which these days is just about everybody in both parties, have made it, and everything else, about something else. The real problem is that it really is about public health and its been lost in the rhetoric coming from the Politicians and the Media.

All I want is for people to stay away from me and have a mask on when we must get too close for comfort. I could care less what their politics are.

I think what you are doing on the hike is the right thing. Why do you seem to be arguing so hard against it?
    First, wearing a mask isn't "science" while not wearing one is "politics".

I don't really care about masks per se, but I don't like people policing each other. I don't want to live in a culture of fear and distrust.

Turn Off Ads?