Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    Turn the TV off. The sky hasnt fallen Chicken Little. Sorry, not sorry you find actual data from the WHO and CDC to be dumb as hell.
    If you combine those two charts, it will tell you that COVID is extremely serious and needs to be taken seriously.

The two charts tell us that the flu is highly contagious, but has an extremely low mortality rate, and that SARS and Ebola had a high mortality rate but were not very contagios.

Covid is both highly contagious and has a high mortality rate. The one it is most similar with is the 1918 flu pandemic and that is considered one of the worst pandemics in recent history.

One extremely important issue that the charts are leaving out is that the COVID numbers are for a world under lockdown, and are just for a few months. There was no world lockdown for SARS or H1N1 and their numbers after years of dealing with each one. So it’s really comparing apples to oranges and not a fair comparison at all. Your assertion that SARS and H1N1 were much worse is factually wrong and proven wrong by the very charts you presented.

This disease, with a strict lockdown, in just a few months, has killed over half a million people worldwide. I consider that serious, and something that needs to be taken seriously. I really hope for your sake and the sake of your loved ones, that you do to.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Those are confirmed cases. 4 months into this and people still don’t get it. Amazing.

Your president told you to wear a mask yesterday. Even he finally admits it. Why can’t people just wear a mask when they go pick up their dinner or to go the store? Why is this so difficult for Americans?
    I do. My point had nothing to do with that and everything to so with this absurd shaming when the data shows that this has been ridiculously overblown. People aren't dropping like flies. It isnt the second coming of the black death.

1/3 of people who have caught it have already recovered totally fine. Sure, 145K (which is still a highly dubious figure) is ridiculous. Ive already shown other pandemics weve had in RECENT years where the fatality total faaaaar exceeded that, and no one batted an eye.

Again....less than 1% of the US population even has it. And again......apx 3% of that percentage even die from it, the majority of which are elderly folks or otherwise compromised people. Youre talking about an EXTREME minority of people.

So no, I didnt say people are losing their GD minds for wearing masks
    I said you people who cant critically look at these numbers and acknowledge that maybe we all shouldnt be this over the top insane about things have lost your minds. We're at rhe point now were actual data cant even be discussed rationally. Youre free to look at it and decide that it totally warrants extreme panic on your end, thats your prerogative. But when I view it and compare it to other events that have happened in just recent years that were FAR FAR FAR worse, yeah, sane people in an isated and non politicized climate are generally going to conclude it isnt as egregious or dangerous because, duh.

Now then, yall can go back to your unchecked Chicken Little bubble thread. Someone needed to speak up for reason.

I do. My point had nothing to do with that and everything to so with this absurd shaming when the data shows that this has been ridiculously overblown. People aren't dropping like flies. It isnt the second coming of the black death.

1/3 of people who have caught it have already recovered totally fine. Sure, 145K (which is still a highly dubious figure) is ridiculous. Ive already shown other pandemics weve had in RECENT years where the fatality total faaaaar exceeded that, and no one batted an eye.

Again....less than 1% of the US population even has it. And again......apx 3% of that percentage even die from it, the majority of which are elderly folks or otherwise compromised people. Youre talking about an EXTREME minority of people.

I said you people who cant critically look at these numbers and acknowledge that maybe we all shouldnt be this over the top insane about things have lost your minds. We're at rhe point now were actual data cant even be discussed rationally. Youre free to look at it and decide that it totally warrants extreme panic on your end, thats your prerogative. But when I view it and compare it to other events that have happened in just recent years that were FAR FAR FAR worse, yeah, sane people in an isated and non politicized climate are generally going to conclude it isnt as egregious or dangerous because, duh.

Now then, yall can go back to your unchecked Chicken Little bubble thread. Someone needed to speak up for reason.
    You posted a chart of cases before we had really started testing for cases.

You posted a chart of mortality rate, which tells you something I suppose, but doesn't really mean anything without context of how a disease spreads. Ebola for example has a horrible mortality rate, but is also really hard to spread, which is why there wasn't the measures taken that we are seeing now with something that is certainly not as deadly, but also spreads much much much easier.

This is not accurate.

Your chart shows that the mortality rate was higher for SARS and Ebola, but the actual death total was significantly lower, since they were far less contagious.

Again, this is the first pandemic since 1918 that is both contagious and deadly. It needs to be taken extremely seriously or else we will see deaths in the millions world wide. We may still see eventually in a few years, even with massive lockdowns.
    Last edited by 757690; 07-22-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

You keep pointing out the cases. Again, these are cofirmed cases. Not total cases.

Also, what pandemic in recent years FAR FARRRRR exceeded 145,000 American deaths? What are you talking about? And we aren’t even close to done with this pandemic, we are in the middle of it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You keep pointing out the cases. Again, these are cofirmed cases. Not total cases.

Also, what pandemic in recent years FAR FARRRRR exceeded 145,000 American deaths? What are you talking about? And we aren’t even close to done with this pandemic, we are in the middle of it.
    I think at least part of the disconnect is the first chart that was posted was from March 2020. While current at that time, a lot has obviously changed since that time.

8. Likes:

BoxingRed (08-02-2020),Revering4Blue (07-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Positivity rates stabilized (stopped going up steeply, kind of plateaued) about 21 days ago. That is usually the first sign. Leading indicator
    Thanks. Not sure I completely buy the logic on a small sample, but it least there is some logic there.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Looks like a weekend reporting spike. If you click on the 7 day average chart, it does kind of show their trajectory heading downwards. For Arizona anyway, Texas looks like maybe they’ve kind of plateaued or something.
    So today, Wednesday, so far at just around noon, Florida is showing 9785 new cases and 140 deaths and the day is only half over.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

They call me "chef"

I wonder why he posted a graphic from March?

If he had posted one from last April, it'd show coronavirus doesn't even exist and all of you sheep would look even more stupid.

12. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (07-22-2020),Edd Roush (07-22-2020),RedTeamGo! (07-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So today, Wednesday, so far at just around noon, Florida is showing 9785 new cases and 140 deaths and the day is only half over.
    Florida usually drops all their numbers at once. The “day is half over” is irrelevant. That is simply going to be the death count they release today. (Slight adjustments are always possible)

14. Likes:

mth123 (07-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I wonder why he posted a graphic from March?

If he had posted one from last April, it'd show coronavirus doesn't even exist and all of you sheep would look even more stupid.
    0 COVID deaths in April 2019 and no one was wearing masks. What's that tell you?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    0 COVID deaths in April 2019 and no one was wearing masks. What's that tell you?
    Tells me we were all locked down and the streets were like ghost towns.

Pretty hard to catch anything through walls doors and windows.

EDIT: didn't pay attention to the date. Thought it was about the lockdown earlier this year - Sorry
    Last edited by jup; 07-22-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Being dumb and not reading carefully enough

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Tells me we were all locked down and the streets were like ghost towns.

Pretty hard to catch anything through walls doors and windows.
    I don't remember this April 2019 lockdown.

Ohio statewide mandatory mask policy goes into effect tomorrow evening.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I don't remember this April 2019 lockdown.
    Stay woke.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?