Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm so tired of reading stuff like this. Tobacco use doesn't kill you 3 weeks after you first try it. You also can't give someone else tobacco use simply by sneezing. Same for diabetes. At the end of the day, bringing up this stuff is ridiculous.
    But he takes this very seriously.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm so tired of reading stuff like this. Tobacco use doesn't kill you 3 weeks after you first try it. You also can't give someone else tobacco use simply by sneezing. Same for diabetes. At the end of the day, bringing up this stuff is ridiculous.
    Well, your analysis is ridiculous. Who cares if it takes 30 years or thee weeks? The point is that most people won’t know someone who dies and doesn’t view it as a threat. Apparently the governor feels the same way. I’m just explaining why people feel safe trying to get back to business as usual.

And this is probably not something you have to deal with, but if you went to work you would see that things are taken seriously there. Most of the places I go take your temperature, screen you, and mandate masks 100% of the time. Two of them have installed UV filters in the duct work. One has an outside company on call to isolate and sanitize with hand-cleaning and misting if anyone is even suspected of testing positive. They have hired engineers and scientists as advisors to develop real plans. Not everyone works from home or live’s in mom’s basement, and they are going to great expense to deal with this and survive at the same time. But hey, let’s have high school football and grandma in the stands!

4. Likes:

Sea Ray (09-08-2020)

Comparing an indoor environment where you spend 40+ hours a week to an outdoor recreational activity where you might spend 2-3 hours is almost like comparing conditions caused by lifestyle choices to infectious diseases.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

6. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-06-2020),M2 (09-06-2020),paintmered (09-06-2020),Revering4Blue (09-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, your analysis is ridiculous. Who cares if it takes 30 years or thee weeks? The point is that most people won’t know someone who dies and doesn’t view it as a threat. Apparently the governor feels the same way. I’m just explaining why people feel safe trying to get back to business as usual.

And this is probably not something you have to deal with, but if you went to work you would see that things are taken seriously there. Most of the places I go take your temperature, screen you, and mandate masks 100% of the time. Two of them have installed UV filters in the duct work. One has an outside company on call to isolate and sanitize with hand-cleaning and misting if anyone is even suspected of testing positive. They have hired engineers and scientists as advisors to develop real plans. Not everyone works from home or live’s in mom’s basement, and they are going to great expense to deal with this and survive at the same time. But hey, let’s have high school football and grandma in the stands!
    Tobacco, obesity and other lifestyle influenced diseases are absolutely a threat, but it's a threat I have a choice to avoid. I don't smoke, so tobacco isn't a threat to me. With Covid, my chances of getting it are directly influenced by somebody else's choice. If you want to compare it to something, it's more like being killed by a drunk driver and we do all kinds of things to try to limit that and people who negligently harm some one by driving drunk are severely penalized both in civil and criminal court.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

757690 (09-06-2020),Revering4Blue (09-06-2020),WrongVerb (09-07-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

And I'm telling you that anyone who tries to make the comparison of COVID-19 to obesity or using tobacco is an absolute moron with zero critical thinking skills.

And I'm telling you that anyone who tries to make the comparison of COVID-19 to obesity or using tobacco is an absolute moron with zero critical thinking skills.
    Well, you should take your awesome critical thinking skills somewhere and get a job.

Anyway, I wasn't making a comparison of the two. I was explaining that when you live in a county of 230,000 and about five people of the general population have died from covid, then you can't blame a couple for not freaking out at the suggestion that maybe it would be nice to sit out at the Bravo's patio and have a nice Sauvignon Blanc and that delicious bread with the spiced dipping oil. It really is scrumptious! But you come off as a Denny's guy, although they have those around here somewhere too.

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-08-2020),Sea Ray (09-08-2020)

When you live in a county of 230,000, that's going to be our national death total soon enough.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Well, you should take your awesome critical thinking skills somewhere and get a job.

Anyway, I wasn't making a comparison of the two. I was explaining that when you live in a county of 230,000 and about five people of the general population have died from covid, then you can't blame a couple for not freaking out at the suggestion that maybe it would be nice to sit out at the Bravo's patio and have a nice Sauvignon Blanc and that delicious bread with the spiced dipping oil. It really is scrumptious! But you come off as a Denny's guy, although they have those around here somewhere too.
    I never said YOU were making the comparison. I said those who do, and those people actually exist, are absolute morons with zero critical thinking skills.

I have not read through this thread since Tom Seaver passed. Will this be considered a Covid-19 death statistic?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

https://www.thedailybeast.com/worker...cases?ref=home

Maybe the happiest but not the safest place on earth

Workers Reveal Disney Is Covering Up Its COVID Cases

Workers and their worried spouses reveal to The Daily Beast that Disney is not only underreporting its COVID cases but clearing COVID-positive employees to return to work.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

A virus in China translates into reportedly unsafe conditions for cast members and guests at Disney World a few months later?

It’s a small world after all.

17. Likes:

RFS62 (09-07-2020)

https://nypost.com/2020/09/02/number...ZvP7BNLfn0EdII

This was re-posted from the Wall St. Journal. Could be more noise, idk.

Comparing an infectious disease to these other things isn't apple-apples, agreed.

But there's a larger point here about the utility of using a running tally for an infectious disease. Shouldn't we be looking at what's happening right now?

We went to garage sale this weekend. They had a sign that said, Face Masks Appreciated and had a smiley face attached to it. We respectfully put on our face masks. We go in and the people having the garage sale were NOT wearing a mask.

LOL !
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I try to be patient of the nitwit/bedwetters, but then I'm reminded of the damage done to our kids and I get very angry.

Check yourself into a clean room already, don't make the rest of us pay for your neuroticism.

Name:  cfd3975c3c83200c8f24793fa9c76b82 (1).jpeg
Views: 116
Size:  46.0 KB

Turn Off Ads?