Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 65 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    But your kids can bring it home and give it to you.
    And society
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

But your kids can bring it home and give it to you.
    That's a risk. But I'm certainly glad the kids aren't likely to get sick.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That's a risk. But I'm certainly glad the kids aren't likely to get sick.
    How do you imagine your kid would feel for the rest of their life if they brought it home to you and you died or suffered permanent debilitation?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    There's not going to be "second wave". The "Pandemic" is over.
    You should go out to a street corner and shout that at strangers.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-12-2020),Larkin Fan (09-12-2020),NachoMan (09-13-2020),RedTeamGo! (09-12-2020),Revering4Blue (09-12-2020),RFS62 (09-12-2020),Roy Tucker (09-12-2020),SteelSD (09-12-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-12-2020)

November is going to be rough.

I hate being right. Absolutely no payoff in that regard.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

How do you imagine your kid would feel for the rest of their life if they brought it home to you and you died or suffered permanent debilitation?
    Probably not great, but that doesn't have anything to do with being glad they won't get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    The indefinite future is going to be rough
    FTFY. We done ruined the planet. I weep for our children.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-12-2020)

Probably not great, but that doesn't have anything to do with being glad they won't get sick.
    I'm glad they won't get sick either, but there seems to a sentiment (not saying that you have personally have expressed this particular sentiment) that since many people are at low risk of serious complications, it's OK to ignore precautions and let the chips fall. I'm saying it's not OK for anyone to get it. It still keeps spreading to around 40,000 people per day and around a thousand deaths. getting it and spreading it is not OK no matter what the personal risk is. This needs to be viewed at the macro level, not the micro.

The primary risk of getting covid is that you can give it to some one else (who also gives it to some one else, and so on). What happens to any specific individual is secondary. We need to do whatever we can, while still functioning as a society, to reduce the macro risk. Going to work is a risk, but it's essential for society to function. Having a party on campus, OTOH, is a risk that isn't really essential to anything.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-12-2020 at 01:28 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-12-2020),Revering4Blue (09-12-2020)

Because kids aren't likely to get super sick or die. Maybe not important to you, but as a dad of three, that's pretty important to me.
    The study I linked didn’t say anything about children. It only looked at young adults, people age 18-34.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

This pandemic ain't crap if you live here in Oregon. It's the last thing anyone is thinking about right now. It's child's play compared to the smoke and fire here. It's seriously the last thing on anyone's mind.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

15. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-12-2020),Rojo (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    This pandemic ain't crap if you live here in Oregon. It's the last thing anyone is thinking about right now. It's child's play compared to the smoke and fire here. It's seriously the last thing on anyone's mind.
    I feel horrible about what is happening there. What part of the state is threatened. I'm hearing Portland now. I always thought Portland got a lot of rain.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The study I linked didn’t say anything about children. It only looked at young adults, people age 18-34.
    Gotcha. The article was paywalled, and the portion you copied into the thread wasn't clear. Though, looking again it does say young "adults".

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I feel horrible about what is happening there. What part of the state is threatened. I'm hearing Portland now. I always thought Portland got a lot of rain.
    https://fire.airnow.gov/

Supposed to "maybe" get some rain this coming week, but the Governor stopped funding money towards the Forest Fire Management team early in the year even though it was inevitable that fighting the fires would be necessary, so it spread quickly as there were no fighters and no state-wide coordinating team to prepare and manage the problem. Trump is sending as much as we need money-wise and that is going to pay for a Managment Team to come in from Florida along with some fire-fighters to come in from other States like Utah, for example, to help contain the fires. The entire time, local community fire personnel have had to be used with their ill-equipped urban fire-fighting vehicles to combat the blaze (leaving almost no fire personnel to do what they normally would be doing in urban areas). Of course, the police aren't able to help them around Portland because all of their hours have been used up dealing with the protestors who have the full support of City and Multnomah County and State officials.

The wind shifted 48 hours ago to a calm state to where it didn't continue to help spread the fires in a Westerly direction (towards denser populations), and it will shift again tomorrow to push the smoke over the Cascades into Eastern Oregon (as it has been doing for the last 48 hours enough to where Bend, The Dalles, and Hood River, Oregon, for example, as Air Quality Indexes of between 300 and 500 on a regular basis (300 is hazardous). Currently, my house by the University has an AQI in the 300's (there's a monitoring station about 10 blocks away), while my Sister's house in Gresham (eastern suburb of Portland, and 15 miles north of a 150,000 acre fire in Clackamas County, one of two that size in Clackamas County) has an AQI in the 300's. This bad air quality has been going on since Tuesday. Cities in the South, like Roseburg, Medford, Cottage Grove and dozens of other cities had had regular AQI's over 500 for days, while many of those places have burned. Cities like Silverton, Oregon, where my original family is from, has had AQI's in the 700's. They are evacuated there, of course, along with 50,000 others with another 450,000 on "get out" evacuation notice, when they get the message if things change (such as the two large fires in Clackamas County merging together where they can then create their own weather system because of their size...they are separated by less than five miles).

One Million acres are burning, about four times the size of Multnomah County (where Portland and other cities are located).

Portland won't burn, but it's economy is already destroyed thanks to decisions by Officials.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Just curious- where can I get a test in Ohio that is reliable and I get results in a day or two? I don't want that fast test that the governor had- it has to be right. I want to go see my dad, and want to go there with a clean slate.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Just curious- where can I get a test in Ohio that is reliable and I get results in a day or two? I don't want that fast test that the governor had- it has to be right. I want to go see my dad, and want to go there with a clean slate.
    You’re around Cincinnati right, St. Elizabeth supposedly has a place in Erlanger where you can get a free test with a turnaround of about 24-36 hours

Turn Off Ads?