Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Because grandparents want to see their grandkids?
    Well, maybe they can't right now? A lot of people have had to put things on hold.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, maybe they can't right now? A lot of people have had to put things on hold.
    Or they can, but they have to know they're taking their chances.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I agree. That's one of many reasons we're talking about trying to actually squash the virus rather than a strategy of just "rope off the elderly."
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I agree. That's one of many reasons we're talking about trying to actually squash the virus rather than a strategy of just "rope off the elderly."
    We have to do both. The vulnerable simply cannot mingle with society right now unless they want to take a chance on dying. I mean, that's fine if they don't care, and honestly I don't blame them, but the ones who don't want to die can't see their grandchildren or go shopping or whatever right now. So, yeah, that's why they need to be roped off until there is a vaccine.

We will never be able to "squash" the virus because this is not an authoritarian government and we can't force people to stay in their homes for months while the army drops off food. The best we can hope for is to slow it down.

We have to do both. The vulnerable simply cannot mingle with society right now unless they want to take a chance on dying. I mean, that's fine if they don't care, and honestly I don't blame them, but the ones who don't want to die can't see their grandchildren or go shopping or whatever right now. So, yeah, that's why they need to be roped off until there is a vaccine.

We will never be able to "squash" the virus because this is not an authoritarian government and we can't force people to stay in their homes for months while the army drops off food. The best we can hope for is to slow it down.
    I think if all the vulnerable stayed home to not mingle with society, there wouldn't be enough people left to actually have a society. I'd guess the people who are overweight, have high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney issues, respiratory issues, weakened immune systems and anyone else over 65 is a significant percentage of the US population. Asking that many people to stay home indefinitely is no more realistic than locking things down long term.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-23-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

757690 (07-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think if all the vulnerable stayed home to not mingle with society, there wouldn't be enough people left to actually have a society. I'd guess the people who are overweight, have high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney issues, respiratory issues, weakened immune systems and anyone else over 65 is a significant percentage of the US population. Asking that many people to stay home indefinitely is no more realistic than locking things down long term.
    Well, as I said before, that’s a real problem in the United States, and now the chickens have come home to roost. But even with the most vulnerable staying isolated, there are plenty of people left to keep the country going, because they are the most productive anyway.

Well, as I said before, that’s a real problem in the United States, and now the chickens have come home to roost. But even with the most vulnerable staying isolated, there are plenty of people left to keep the country going, because they are the most productive anyway.
    I don't know. I'd guess somewhere between 50 to 100 Million people in the US fall into one of those categories. That's only counting the ones who are significantly overweight. If you count everybody who is overweight. probably more than 60% of the country qualifies. Those people need to work and support their families as much as everyone else does. This is everybody's problem and everybody needs to do what they can to keep it as safe as possible for everyone.

If the country is open, vulnerable people are going to be out and participating. It can't be avoided.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't know. I'd guess somewhere between 50 to 100 Million people in the US fall into one of those categories. That's only counting the ones who are significantly overweight. If you count everybody who is overweight. probably more than 60% of the country qualifies. Those people need to work and support their families as much as everyone else does. This is everybody's problem and everybody needs to do what they can to keep it as safe as possible for everyone.

If the country is open, vulnerable people are going to be out and participating. It can't be avoided.
    If they are out and working and supporting their families, fine. But if grandma and grandpa and the kids and grandkids are all going to Graeters or the local Applebee’s, that’s probably not necessary. I mean, I really don’t care. If they don’t care if they get sick and die, that’s fine. But if they aren’t even making an effort, I’m not going to go to extraordinary lengths either.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I still don’t think it’s sufficient to blame the Covid numbers on people “disobeying” Fauci and MSNBC’s hosts. There has to be reasons not rooted in individual psychology.
    It's a failure at the national response level. We didn't put together a cohesive, coordinated response and we've got a mess. It's the obvious, glaring thing right in front of us. It's like you're peeking around the elephant trying to figure out what ate the peanuts.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-23-2020),RFS62 (07-25-2020),westofyou (07-23-2020)

Some of these regulations are a bit strict.

Name:  109501470_2932873080157081_3432430323486891023_n.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  56.1 KB
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

Boston Red (07-23-2020),Edd Roush (07-23-2020),Revering4Blue (07-23-2020),WildcatFan (07-23-2020)

If they are out and working and supporting their families, fine. But if grandma and grandpa and the kids and grandkids are all going to Graeters or the local Applebee’s, that’s probably not necessary. I mean, I really don’t care. If they don’t care if they get sick and die, that’s fine. But if they aren’t even making an effort, I’m not going to go to extraordinary lengths either.
    There are probably a lot out working. There are so many reasons some one can have a weak immune system. Diabetes and high blood pressure are pretty common. Are those people not supposed to work?

What do you consider extraordinary lengths? I just want people to act responsibly. Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Keep your distance and stay out of large crowds so if you do end up with it your contacts can be tested and traced to contain the spread. If you are a parent with kids in school, they are out of your control for several hours each day with a lot of others you have no control over and you need to make sure they also aren't spreading things when you take them out in public. No running around near a bunch of other people. No loud talking. Wear a mask properly and keep it on in public.

I don't consider any of that extraordinary. Most of it, other than wearing the mask and staying out of large crowds is basically just good manners.

Because grandparents want to see their grandkids?
    Hell, more than that, there are a lot of grandparents who provide necessary child care for their grandchildren, outside of the school day.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

17. Likes:

mth123 (07-23-2020),Revering4Blue (07-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's a failure at the national response level. We didn't put together a cohesive, coordinated response and we've got a mess. It's the obvious, glaring thing right in front of us. It's like you're peeking around the elephant trying to figure out what ate the peanuts.
    But that’s the equivalent of saying the government did a bad job. It’s not an answer.

There are probably a lot out working. There are so many reasons some one can have a weak immune system. Diabetes and high blood pressure are pretty common. Are those people not supposed to work?
    Probably not if contracting the virus would kill them.

What do you consider extraordinary lengths? I just want people to act responsibly. Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Keep your distance and stay out of large crowds so if you do end up with it your contacts can be tested and traced to contain the spread. If you are a parent with kids in school, they are out of your control for several hours each day with a lot of others you have no control over and you need to make sure they also aren't spreading things when you take them out in public. No running around near a bunch of other people. No loud talking. Wear a mask properly and keep it on in public.

I don't consider any of that extraordinary. Most of it, other than wearing the mask and staying out of large crowds is basically just good manners.
    No, those aren't extraordinary lengths. I was talking about being forced to stay home like Vietnam and China did. Because we can't do that, the only way they the vulnerable will be safe is if they quarantine. The masks will help, but it only takes one exposure. Going to Applebees isn't worth risking your life over.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Hell, more than that, there are a lot of grandparents who provide necessary child care for their grandchildren, outside of the school day.
    Well, either the kids have to quarantine with grandma, or grandma might die. It's really that simple, and that's what a lot of people are doing.

Turn Off Ads?