Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Probably not if contracting the virus would kill them.

No, those aren't extraordinary lengths. I was talking about being forced to stay home like Vietnam and China did. Because we can't do that, the only way they the vulnerable will be safe is if they quarantine. The masks will help, but it only takes one exposure. Going to Applebees isn't worth risking your life over.
    I don't think the high risk should go to Appelbees either, but there are necessary things they must do and the risk should be as mitigated as it can be by everyone. Kids going to school increases my risk of getting sick when I go to the store. They aren't my kids, but their behavior impacts me. I think they should go, but they should probably stay out of other public places until this is over. I'd say kids, because they are less likely to follow guidelines than anyone are likely to have a lot of asymptomatic carriers among them and once they contract it increase the risk of transmission to others.

There are a whole lot of people who think they should just do whatever they want and if they give some one the disease who dies from it, it's just some sick or old person who would die in year or two anyway and nothing could be further from the truth.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-23-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Probably not if contracting the virus would kill them.

No, those aren't extraordinary lengths. I was talking about being forced to stay home like Vietnam and China did. Because we can't do that, the only way they the vulnerable will be safe is if they quarantine. The masks will help, but it only takes one exposure. Going to Applebees isn't worth risking your life over.
    So going to Applebee’s is the new “getting a haircut” meme?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I’m very high risk. I had a transplant so I am on immune suppression drugs.

My doctors told me I don’t need to quarantine, as long as I use common sense. This means stay six feet away from people, always wear a mask and wash my hands frequently.

If everyone took these simple steps, no one except those with a COVID would need to quarantine. I think asking everyone to use pardoned these three steps is far better than locking in tens of millions of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    But that’s the equivalent of saying the government did a bad job. It’s not an answer.
    I think its a partial answer. I think a lot of the answer is that Americans as a people are spoiled and can't sacrifice anything for the greater good. They want it all at their fingertips and don't want to be bothered with things like keeping their distance and wearing masks.

The US is less densely populated than a lot of places and has more wealth and a better overall environment to handle something like this, yet densely populated 3rd world countries did a much better job than we did. Somebody screwed the pooch and that's a big part of why we are where we are.

Sorry to go where you don't want, but the Task Force came out with guidelines on how to safely reopen. The president, who assembled the task force quickly came out and lobbied Governors around the country to ignore those guidelines. The ones who did are places like Florida, Arizona, Texas, Georgia... and those are the places out of control today. That's just one example of the pooch screwing that was going on in the March through May time period. The other side was guilty as well in this lack of cohesive response. We're just a country lead by a bunch of bickering fools who can't see past t heir own self interests. I don't like either party much.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-23-2020 at 04:18 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    So going to Applebee’s is the new “getting a haircut” meme?
    You tell me. It’s the first time I used it. Just going by what I saw the other day.

Then substitute any other place that you want. When I see grandpa with a walker going in a restaurant with a bunch of kids and other adults and nobody’s wearing a mask, I’m guessing he just doesn’t care. And I don’t think the economy should stop to accommodate him.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think the high risk should go to Appelbees either, but there are necessary things they must do and the risk should be as mitigated as it can be by everyone. Kids going to school increases my risk of getting sick when I go to the store. They aren't my kids, but their behavior impacts me. I think they should go, but they should probably stay out of other public places until this is over. I'd say kids, because they are less likely to follow guidelines than anyone are likely to have a lot of asymptomatic carriers among them and once they contract it increase the risk of transmission to others.

There are a whole lot of people who think they should just do whatever they want and if they give some one the disease who dies from it, it's just some sick or old person who would die in year or two anyway and nothing could be further from the truth.
    Sure, and you should expect to run into somebody who doesn’t care about you. It’s going to happen. And anybody who is very high risk just shouldn’t go out. It’s really that simple. Or, take your chances.

You tell me. It’s the first time I used it. Just going by what I saw the other day.

Then substitute any other place that you want. When I see grandpa with a walker going in a restaurant with a bunch of kids and other adults and nobody’s wearing a mask, I’m guessing he just doesn’t care. And I don’t think the economy should stop to accommodate him.
    Okay, I will substitute “getting a haircut.”

The point is the economy doesn’t have to stop to accommodate them. People just need to use common sense and follow three basic, easy to follow guidelines.

9. Likes:

mth123 (07-23-2020),Revering4Blue (07-23-2020)

The point is the economy doesn’t have to stop to accommodate them. People just need to use common sense and follow three basic, easy to follow guidelines.
    Which I why I’ve asked many times, where are all these cases coming from? I’m sure anecdotally we all know people who have gotten COVID who practiced model behavior, but out of the 70k cases a day, are many of them from (directly or indirectly) reckless behavior? Cause frankly, if we knew that they were, it would be encouraging to me in that if we corrected “bad” behavior we could tamp down this thing. (I know “model” behavior will help but at 70k/day will it be enough at this point? - without further interventions)

Applebees eh?

Hard pass

You can use getting a haircut if grandpa takes his son and daughter and five or six grandkids in the salon with him and they all sit together around the chair.

And people are using common sense, but it is unrealistic to expect mass compliance. Even if 90% comply, that leaves millions of people that aren't. I've been working in Kentucky for a few weeks, and each time I went to Speedway, no one, including employees, were wearing masks. Then I went to the BMV in Ohio to get my truck registered, and no employees and maybe 2 customers were wearing masks. If someone who is high risk wants to take their chances on that, have at it. I really don't care either way because I'm more likely to die from pancreatic cancer than covid.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Applebees eh?

Hard pass
    I wasn't going there, but saw it from my car. Only Bob Evans surpasses it with the senior crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    But that’s the equivalent of saying the government did a bad job. It’s not an answer.
    It's not just an answer. It's the answer. You seem to be trying extra hard to ignore it. No idea why (and no need to delve into it).

Nations with a coordinated public health response knocked this down. It's still the only way we're going to knock it down.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Applebees eh?

Hard pass
    On cue, the “Welcome Back” Applebees commercial featuring the maskless family plays on MLBN.

Didn't we already know that people who eat at Applebee's make bad choices?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

dabvu2498 (07-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Which I why I’ve asked many times, where are all these cases coming from? I’m sure anecdotally we all know people who have gotten COVID who practiced model behavior, but out of the 70k cases a day, are many of them from (directly or indirectly) reckless behavior? Cause frankly, if we knew that they were, it would be encouraging to me in that if we corrected “bad” behavior we could tamp down this thing. (I know “model” behavior will help but at 70k/day will it be enough at this point? - without further interventions)
    Ok, this is timely. After four months, I finally know someone who tested positive. She's the first one.

About three weeks ago, she started showing symptoms and got tested. So, her husband, little girl, mother and father all got tested and they all came back negative. How is it possible that none of them caught it? As for where she got it, and this is unbelievable, it turns out that her best friend has an 18 year old son who has gone to Florida four times since March, including twice during the lockdown. Not only that, but this woman is a teacher, and she said she didn't want to tell anyone because she didn't want to be criticized online. She also tested negative, but the woman I know can't think of any other place she could have gotten it. I know people beat up on Rojo, but he posted some pretty interesting links on t-cells(?), so it would be great if Larkin showed up and explained if/how some people can apparently become immune like this without every catching it. I mean, even in times of polio and smallpox, not everyone caught it. I got scarlet fever once, but my sisters and brother didn't get it.

Turn Off Ads?