Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Re: Covid-19, Part VII - Staying On Topic...

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    You can use getting a haircut if grandpa takes his son and daughter and five or six grandkids in the salon with him and they all sit together around the chair.

And people are using common sense, but it is unrealistic to expect mass compliance. Even if 90% comply, that leaves millions of people that aren't. I've been working in Kentucky for a few weeks, and each time I went to Speedway, no one, including employees, were wearing masks. Then I went to the BMV in Ohio to get my truck registered, and no employees and maybe 2 customers were wearing masks. If someone who is high risk wants to take their chances on that, have at it. I really don't care either way because I'm more likely to die from pancreatic cancer than covid.
    Other countries and parts of this county have enough compliance that it's safe for anyone to go out. Some countries are almost completely re-opened.

But if think people won't comply with these simple guidelines, what makes you think those at risk will comply with a lockdown for them? That seem much harder to enforce.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Other countries and parts of this county have enough compliance that it's safe for anyone to go out. Some countries are almost completely re-opened.

But if think people won't comply with these simple guidelines, what makes you think those at risk will comply with a lockdown for them? That seem much harder to enforce.
    If someone is high risk, it's up to them to comply or not, I don't care. Maybe that old man has stage four bone cancer and wanted to go out with his family one more time, who knows. I'm just saying it's stupid for them to assume it's safe to go out, because they are taking nearly 100% of the fatalities in this.

If someone is high risk, it's up to them to comply or not, I don't care. Maybe that old man has stage four bone cancer and wanted to go out with his family one more time, who knows. I'm just saying it's stupid for them to assume it's safe to go out, because they are taking nearly 100% of the fatalities in this.
    If enough people wore masks, stayed six feet away from each other, and washed their hands, it would be safe for high risk people to go out.

As I said, I am high risk, and I go out everyday. I even go to outside sitting restaurants. I feel safe because where I live, everyone is practicing common sense and taking this seriously. If I see anyone not doing that, I stay far away.

If enough people wore masks, stayed six feet away from each other, and washed their hands, it would be safe for high risk people to go out.

As I said, I am high risk, and I go out everyday. I even go to outside sitting restaurants. I feel safe because where I live, everyone is practicing common sense and taking this seriously. If I see anyone not doing that, I stay far away.
    No, everyone doesn’t practice common sense. There are never absolutes. I mean, do what you want, but if you think everybody you’re hanging out with at an outdoor patio has been following the rules everywhere, you are delusional.

No, everyone doesn’t practice common sense. There are never absolutes. I mean, do what you want, but if you think everybody you’re hanging out with at an outdoor patio has been following the rules everywhere, you are delusional.
    Outdoor is key. And six feet away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Outdoor is key. And six feet away.
    I’ve been outdoors before. There are still people walking back-and-forth, wearing cloth masks, plus we don’t even know how it spreads. Even medical masks allow about 30% of particles out, and ironically, those particles are the ones that float around the furthest.

I mean, I’m not afraid at all, and if there was a coronavirus cocktail sitting in front of me right now, I‘d chug it just to get the whole thing over with. But if I was high risk, I wouldn’t be sitting at an outdoor restaurant. It’s a dumb thing to do if you understand science

Dude, you keep deflecting. No one except you thinks I am talking in absolutes.

It is quite easy for me to stay away from people who are being dumb when I’m out. I can practice common sense, even if everyone else isn’t. And around me, nearly everyone else is. If I lived in the situation you describe, I wouldn’t go out, at least not to those places. Common sense.

I’ve been outdoors before. There are still people walking back-and-forth, wearing cloth masks, plus we don’t even know how it spreads. Even medical masks allow about 30% of particles out, and ironically, those particles are the ones that float around the furthest.

I mean, I’m not afraid at all, and if there was a coronavirus cocktail sitting in front of me right now, I‘d chug it just to get the whole thing over with. But if I was high risk, I wouldn’t be sitting at an outdoor restaurant. It’s a dumb thing to do if you understand science
    My doctors, all of them, disagree strongly with everything you just posted, especially your desire to get Covid.

I guess like everyone else, they don’t understand things like you, my doctors don’t understand science as well as you do. Oh, to be as magnificent as Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's not just an answer. It's the answer. You seem to be trying extra hard to ignore it. No idea why (and no need to delve into it).

Nations with a coordinated public health response knocked this down. It's still the only way we're going to knock it down.
    The truly incredible, nigh-unbelievable thing about this pandemic is that because of the lack of a coordinated response, the only thing we can really hope for is that more and more businesses join major retailers like Walmart/Sams, Best Buy, Target, Costco, etc. in requiring masks.

I actually visited a Best Buy earlier this week. A gal tried to walk in behind me sans mask. She was immediately stopped by the guys at the front door and told she could not enter unless she had a mask. She quickly apologized, pulled a mask from her pocket, and put it on. I heart Best Buy.

At this point, due to the complete lack of a public health response, it's pretty much up to the private sector to make anywhere someone would want to go someplace they can't be unless they're willing to mask up.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

11. Likes:

M2 (07-24-2020),Revering4Blue (07-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    The truly incredible, nigh-unbelievable thing about this pandemic is that because of the lack of a coordinated response, the only thing we can really hope for is that more and more businesses join major retailers like Walmart/Sams, Best Buy, Target, Costco, etc. in requiring masks.

I actually visited a Best Buy earlier this week. A gal tried to walk in behind me sans mask. She was immediately stopped by the guys at the front door and told she could not enter unless she had a mask. She quickly apologized, pulled a mask from her pocket, and put it on. I heart Best Buy.

At this point, due to the complete lack of a public health response, it's pretty much up to the private sector to make anywhere someone would want to go someplace they can't be unless they're willing to mask up.
    Businesses have a financial interest in making this work and preventing another shut-down. Its why so many are coming out with those mandates.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

757690 (07-23-2020),Revering4Blue (07-23-2020),SteelSD (07-23-2020)

My doctors, all of them, disagree strongly with everything you just posted, especially your desire to get Covid.

I guess like everyone else, they don’t understand things like you, my doctors don’t understand science as well as you do. Oh, to be as magnificent as Bernie.
    Well, if you are as high risk as you say, and your doctor says it’s OK to sit at an outdoor restaurant, then you need a new doctor.

I‘ve discussed this thoroughly with some advisers fron a couple of the customers I work at. They have come up with a system that has been working very well. They recommend that the plant air is circulated past infrared lights, temperature checks at the door, medical masks, and distancing as far as possible. The result? Zero positive cases in the last seven weeks with over 1200 employees. 6 feet is just a number, and it depends on so many variables, and if you think you’re safe at 6 feet and not 5 foot 11, you don’t get it. I asked one of them if they would feel safe if their elderly parents were walking about and he said that he told him to just stay home. Period.

As for my desire, it is more indifference. So far in my county of 240000 not a single person who is not health compromised has died. I do want to protect others and I follow all the rules, but you are delusional if you think everybody does, even where you hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Businesses have a financial interest in making this work and preventing another shut-down. Its why so many are coming out with those mandates.
    Yup. It's almost as if a bunch of folks got together and decided that protecting people is actually the best way to protect their economy.

What a novel concept, eh?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Yep. Dewine can’t even get his own BMV to wear them, because what are you going to do, fire them?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

Corporations are people in the US. They/We only care because there is a financial/social cost for not caring. I wouldn't heart them more than usual based on that interaction.

I think its a partial answer. I think a lot of the answer is that Americans as a people are spoiled and can't sacrifice anything for the greater good. They want it all at their fingertips and don't want to be bothered with things like keeping their distance and wearing masks.

The US is less densely populated than a lot of places and has more wealth and a better overall environment to handle something like this, yet densely populated 3rd world countries did a much better job than we did. Somebody screwed the pooch and that's a big part of why we are where we are.

Sorry to go where you don't want, but the Task Force came out with guidelines on how to safely reopen. The president, who assembled the task force quickly came out and lobbied Governors around the country to ignore those guidelines. The ones who did are places like Florida, Arizona, Texas, Georgia... and those are the places out of control today. That's just one example of the pooch screwing that was going on in the March through May time period. The other side was guilty as well in this lack of cohesive response. We're just a country lead by a bunch of bickering fools who can't see past t heir own self interests. I don't like either party much.
    Densely populated countries like India, Brazil, Mexico, and Bangladesh are really struggling. Less densely populated countries like the US and Nigeria and Pakistan are struggling. Why is Bangladesh struggling while it’s near-neighbor Vietnam not struggling in the least?

There’s so much more mystery to this than great man theories of history can explain. After January 20 this is Uncle Joe’s football to carry. Should be an interesting test. Remember the last time Democrats tried to score on a goal line stand they fumbled with the ACA rollout. We’ll see if Big Joe can loft one to an open man. We shall see. We shall see. Or maybe it’s structural, which is my guess.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-23-2020 at 09:39 PM.

Turn Off Ads?