Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is a 60-game MLB season, shortest since 1878, legitimate?

Re: Is a 60-game MLB season, shortest since 1878, legitimate?

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    Season champion is legitimate.

If someone hits .400, not legitimate.
    That is kind of my point. The season is definitely legit. Wasn't arging against that point. But the article brings up some interesting points concerning statistical performance (records) of a 60 game schedule vs a 162 games. If someone hits .400, are they in the same league as Ted Williams?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    That is kind of my point. The season is definitely legit. Wasn't arging against that point. But the article brings up some interesting points concerning statistical performance (records) of a 60 game schedule vs a 162 games. If someone hits .400, are they in the same league as Ted Williams?
    I would say no. I think the season itself is legitimate, but records like that, if broken/reached, wouldn't be.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

4. Likes:

GAC (07-28-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

We’re over a week into the season now and multiple teams have only played 3 games.

If the Reds win the WS then yes... If not no.

7. Likes:

bm1475 (08-03-2020)

Once all stakeholders agree to something, it becomes legitimate in my mind. The only thing that would delegitimize it would be if the playoffs could not be completed.

9. Likes:

M2 (08-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Once all stakeholders agree to something, it becomes legitimate in my mind. The only thing that would delegitimize it would be if the playoffs could not be completed.
    How do you feel about the idea that winning percentage may determine things if everyone can't play the same number of games?

I was okay with a 60-game season, but there's something different about the possibility of some teams playing 53 games and others playing 59, or whatever it ends up being.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    We’re over a week into the season now and multiple teams have only played 3 games.
    The Marlins have finally figured out how to win the division, just start 2-1 and never play again

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-04-2020),Falls City Beer (08-04-2020),Kilgore_Trout (08-04-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-04-2020)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bm1475 View Post
    How do you feel about the idea that winning percentage may determine things if everyone can't play the same number of games?

I was okay with a 60-game season, but there's something different about the possibility of some teams playing 53 games and others playing 59, or whatever it ends up being.
    I would be good with winning percentage being the determining factor under 1 condition. If a team played let's say 4 games less than another team, split those 4 games up 2 wins and 2 losses. If they still have a better winning percentage then they win the division/wild card. I guess kind of like they do the batting title if you fall short of the minimum AB's.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by bm1475 View Post

That would be a problem. I suggest they come with a solution.

Turn Off Ads?