Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is a 60-game MLB season, shortest since 1878, legitimate?

Re: Is a 60-game MLB season, shortest since 1878, legitimate?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Technically it's 3.1 PA/g, so for 60 games, a qualifying number of PAs is 186.

That said, any records set this season will certainly come with some sort of disclaimer. Heck, look at Gwynn in '94 when he was batting nearly .400. Even that seems like an incomplete season and they played more than twice as many games.
    So Suarez 74 HR won't count as the record?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

M2 (07-22-2020),mgbrown66 (07-22-2020),RedsBaron (07-23-2020),texasdave (07-23-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If they play it's a real season.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    That's not how it works. It is 3.1 plate appearance times the number of game's the team plays. In 1994, they list Tony Gwynn as the batting champ. He only had 475 PA. In 1981, they list Bill Madlock as the batting champ. He only went to the plate 320 times. The Pirates played 102 games in '81. 102 * 3.1 = 316. And so Madlock qualified. If the 502 PA are set in stone, Ozzie Smith (509 PA) led the N.L. in batting with a .222 average.
    I know that is not how it works for the batting title but it is a good guide.for what a record should require for an average based mark.
    Last edited by klw; 07-22-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Baseball’s return: Why we care

I feel moved at the prospect of baseball’s return. Why do I care? Why does it matter if baseball goes on?

For my father, the answer was simple: The “why” isn’t important. We should be “concerned with how it is done, not why,”

“The why comes of itself.”

It would be kind of cool if someone took down Hugh Duffy's .440 BA in 1894.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

westofyou (07-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Does t need an asterisk?
    of course....unless we win.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So Suarez 74 HR won't count as the record?
    I so want that to happen.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I know that is not how it works for the batting title but it is a good guide.for what a record should require for an average based mark.
    If they are recognizing an asterisk-free world championship, then it seems like they should be recognizing asterisk-free batting records. If you look at any list of the highest season batting averages, Tony Gwynn's .394 is on all of them. He didn't reach 502 PA.

So is a 3 game season legitimate?

But seriously, with what is happening to the Marlins, there is no way to see this season as legitimate. It will always be remembered as a joke of a season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (07-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

But seriously, with what is happening to the Marlins, there is no way to see this season as legitimate. It will always be remembered as a joke of a season.
    Due to the war and roster fluctuations the 1943 Phillies went to camp with 17 players. While the war years are hardly lauded as normal they have always been seen as legitimate, albeit with a stink eye

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Yeah with game cancellations and half of a roster going on the plague IL for a couple weeks at a time, it was never going to be a season whose results people take seriously compared to any other. If it even ends up happening now at all.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Due to the war and roster fluctuations the 1943 Phillies went to camp with 17 players. While the war years are hardly lauded as normal they have always been seen as legitimate, albeit with a stink eye
    The war years are a good comparison. They may be considered “legitimate” but with air quotes. We’re talking semantics at this point. This season will at best be considered similarly to the war years. “Legitimate” but with a stink eye.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Just taking a look - assuming these 12 Marlins players are out for a minimum of two weeks, that's almost 22% of their schedule without 12 players. Kind of hard to argue that's legitimate.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

The length of the season doesn’t bother me, but a couple outbreaks that turn contenders into AAAA squads for weeks at a time would make the season a total joke. Not looking good on that front so far.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If the 502 PA are set in stone, Ozzie Smith (509 PA) led the N.L. in batting with a .222 average.
    I believe, at least back then, not sure about now, but it should be, that if a player doesn't reach the minimum number of PA, if they can add the amount needed to ABs to reach it without adding any hits and he still would have the highest average, he wins title. Point being, I doubt if the minimum was 502, Ozzie would've won the batting title.

So if player A has 500 PAs and leads league with.350 BA and player B has 502 ABs is 2nd in league with .340 BA, if adding 2 ABs to player A without adding any hits puts him at .341 or above, he wins title.

20. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-28-2020)

Turn Off Ads?