Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 MLB Season Thread

Re: 2020 MLB Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Indians option Oscar Mercado. Interesting....I've always liked him. Good centerfielder and decent bat. Still young too. With our latest uncertainty....Trade candidate?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...r-mercado.html
    Indians fans can’t stand him but his speed is elite and he’s an excellent outfielder

2. Turn Off Ads?

Indians option Oscar Mercado. Interesting....I've always liked him. Good centerfielder and decent bat. Still young too. With our latest uncertainty....Trade candidate?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...r-mercado.html
    I'm not sure what there is to like?

.254 .321 .357 .678 in MiLB
    for context, Billy Hamilton hit
    .280 .351 .377 .728 in MiLB

Looks to me like a guy who just fluked into some HR and is now crashing back to earth

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    I'm not sure what there is to like?

.254 .321 .357 .678 in MiLB
    for context, Billy Hamilton hit
    .280 .351 .377 .728 in MiLB

Looks to me like a guy who just fluked into some HR and is now crashing back to earth
    Well he's a very good defender at the very least and it looks like our regular CF is gonna be out for quite some time. At the very least he gives us some rotational options if you slide Akiyama in there. I certainly don't want to start playing Winker in the OF.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Well he's a very good defender at the very least and it looks like our regular CF is gonna be out for quite some time. At the very least he gives us some rotational options if you slide Akiyama in there. I certainly don't want to start playing Winker in the OF.
    Winker played CF last year lol

(Not that I endorse the idea but it is funny to remember that)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Winker played CF last year lol

(Not that I endorse the idea but it is funny to remember that)
    He was actually better at CF....less walls to run into and ricochets.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

He was actually better at CF....less walls to run into and ricochets.
    I thought he was too, I felt like he got a Wily Mo Pena-esque boost from not having to read balls hooking and slicing.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Fernando Tatis Jr. rebuked by both managers for hitting 3-0 pitch grand slam

But Padres manager Jayce Tingler, making his Texas homecoming as a former Rangers employee, was less than thrilled about the milestone or, more specifically, Tatis’ decision to swing at a 3-0 pitch. Up seven runs in the top of the eighth inning, the 21-year-old had missed a “take” sign. Instead, he again proved his fearsome power with a 407-foot home run to right field.

Upon returning to his dugout, Tatis received a quizzical look from Tingler. After the game, the manager described the moment as a “learning opportunity.”

“Just to make sure we get the signs 3-0 in that game,” Tingler said. “He’s young, a free spirit and focused and all these things, and that’s the last thing we’ll ever take away. But that’s a learning opportunity, that’s it and he’ll grow from it.
    FTR, this is what JB had to say about it...

Johnny Bench
    @JohnnyBench_5

So you take a pitch...now you're 3-1. Then the pitcher comes back with a great setup pitch...3-2. Now you're ready to groundout into a double play. Everyone should hit 3-0. Grand Slams are a huge stat. @tatis_jr
    The Athletic MLB @TheAthleticMLB

Fernando Tatis Jr. smacked a grand slam on a 3-0 count with a big lead, leading to criticism from both managers.

What do you think about this unwritten rule in baseball?

�� @MLB #PadresTwitter

pic.twitter.com/55rX1bL4Qm

Show this thread
    7:00am · 18 Aug 2020
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-18-2020),Old school 1983 (08-18-2020),RED VAN HOT (08-18-2020),Ron Madden (08-18-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Someone is going to have to explain this. I mean I play sports with unwritten rules, but those are generally sensible, like in rugby you won't get into trouble if you punch someone for a high tackle as long as you are face to face or cricket where you don't bowl a 90mph high bouncer aimed at taking a guy batting 10 or 11's head off because they can't bat and you probably will hit them in the head. But where do you draw the line with this? They had a big lead but what if it was 1 or 2 runs, top of the 9th, with the other teams best hitters due up.....?? Personally if I'm Tatis jr and the pitcher is throwing me something I can hit out of the yard, i'm swinging....and my defence is if a rule is important it wouldn't be unwritten....
    Last edited by EnglishRed; 08-18-2020 at 11:06 AM.

12. Likes:

Chip R (08-28-2020),RedsfaninMT (08-18-2020)

At least there are some relevant NL games to watch tonight...

3PM Rockies vs Astros MLBN
    4PM Giants vs Angels ESPN
    7PM Indians vs Pirates STO
    8PM Cards vs Cubs FS1
    Last edited by DocRed; 08-18-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    Matt Harvey is being called up to the Royals

I think we've found the cure to the Reds offensive woes!

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-18-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

David O'Brien
    @DOBrienATL
    #Braves are about to promote top OF prospect Cristian Pache, working on getting him to the game tonight, source confirms.
    Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    Reason for Pache promotion…

Atlanta Braves
    @Braves
    · 1h
    OF Nick Markakis has been potentially exposed to COVID-19. He has tested negative for the virus, but out of an abundance of caution, Markakis has been placed on the injured list.

Kent Maeda (Twins) has allowed just a walk and nothing else through 7.

Turn Off Ads?