Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 MLB Season Thread

Re: 2020 MLB Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I just don’t see it happening. I agree that in a vacuum it’s a smart baseball decision, but it’s a bad look to sell off big free agent signings after 62 games. I don’t think it is something a team like the Reds should get in the habit of doing, players these days are savvy and will notice when a move like that is made. Which is why I asked you to put that idea aside and come up with something more realistic.
    I don't think its unrealistic at all. Teams move on from mistakes all the time. With the Reds head of baseball operations stepping down, it's the perfect opportunity.

Otherwise, I guess they should trade Winker, but he's young, under control and fits their budget and they'll never get value needed for him. In Castellanos case, they get value by simply moving the contract and using the money to replace him. In Winker's case, they will need somebody back who fits better, still replaces his bat and doesn't bust the budget. That probably means going after prospects and I think Winker is too one dimensional to command top prospects. Dealing him seems like a step backwards.

They could certainly deal Senzel, but it doesn't address the problem. It still leaves them with 5 guys for 3 positions who will compromise the team's ability to take the next step by putting them all on the field.

They could deal Suarez, but he's the one guy who might be the kind of producer who could match the main guys other teams have. Trading him would mean going back into a rebuild.

Moose is overpaid which makes dealing him difficult, and I'd rather keep him anyway. He's actually won before and is a good defender when he's not out of position and this team needs more guys who know how to win.

Votto is untradeable.

To me, trading Castellanos, and freeing those resources, is the only one who would allow them to move forward. Any of the others are either untradeable or probably wouldn't net a return or free enough resources to replace their production while providing a better fit.

So if dealing Castellanos is off the table, I kind of agree that they are stuck. The only hope is that they could package other salaries with somebody like Winker to allow them to sign what they need. Maybe something like Winker, Miley and Barnhart for prospects would allow a move, but that will require signing another starter, which would be good anyway, but now we're getting into the "sweeping changes" that most people are against and I'm not sure there is enough money to address other holes created by dealing more contracts. This team has a lot of arbitration raises to deal with. Resources are going to be tight. That's why Castellanos is the best guy to deal. If they can't dothat, they probably are stuck. If so, I wouldn't expect to be winning anything anytime soon.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think Moose, Votto, Suarez, Castellanos and Winker can fit on the same roster. They basically have three positions that they can fill 3B, 1B and LF. Hopefully we'll still have a DH to accommodate one of them, but at this point, that doesn't exist. They can't have two of Winker and Castellanos in the same OF and all three of Votto, Moose and Suarez shouldn't be in the same IF. If they don't fix that, their ceiling is limited and I'm not satisfied with hovering around .500. If they want to take the next step, that needs to be addressed and since those guys are the drivers of the offense, who ever is removed, needs to be replaced.
    I think the DH is almost a guarantee from here on out. Personally, I trade Winker for a piece that fits better. I DH Votto, and move Moose or Suarez to first and build from there. I just don't think they are many pieces away. The Braves are good and we very well could of beat them

So...the White Sox have what I'd say is a Top-5 talent system over the next 5 years and they dismissed their manager after making the playoffs only to reach out to 76 year old Tony LaRussa for the manager job?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So...the White Sox have what I'd say is a Top-5 talent system over the next 5 years and they dismissed their manager after making the playoffs only to reach out to 76 year old Tony LaRussa for the manager job?
    I’d reach out to Rentería, I’ve been a fan of his since his Cub days. Of course, it dependent on the Reds willing to move on from Bell.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    I think the DH is almost a guarantee from here on out. Personally, I trade Winker for a piece that fits better. I DH Votto, and move Moose or Suarez to first and build from there. I just don't think they are many pieces away. The Braves are good and we very well could of beat them
    I'd be open to trading Winker for a better fit, but that's taking out a lot of offense for cheap and would they be able to afford somebody to replace that offense? Also, since Winker is one dimensional, would you really get much back? He's a good cheap hitter with control, so he has a lot of value to the Reds. I'm not sure they'd get that Value back. It's why I still say Castellanos is the guy to go, just clearing his salary is enough value back. They can simply use that to go buy a better fit. Removing Winker's Salary doesn't provide that opportunity.
    Last edited by mth123; 10-14-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not sure why they are stuck with Castellanos. He won't opt out but he can still be traded. They don't need to get a ton of talent, they just need to free his money to spend on a different player. Deal him for a couple of C prospects and sign a better fit. Stick Winker Shogo and Senzel in the OF. Votto at DH (if it returns) and Suarez and Moose at the IF corners. Sign not only a SS, but a 2B as well who are well rounded players. Otherwise, move Senzel back to 2B and sign a RF who adds offense with an all around game.
    You will not get another player to sign with us if you trade Castellanos. It’s not even really an option, not sure why it’s even worth discussing.

They could barely get him in the first place, if they pull a bush league move and trade a guy they signed long term after 60 games, no one will sign here again for a long, long time.

It’s really not a hard problem to solve. Move Votto to DH if you don’t like his defense so much, although I think even that problem is overblown. Then move one of your slow DH types that are in the outfield to first base, just as teams have done as long as this sport has been played.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    You will not get another player to sign with us if you trade Castellanos. It’s not even really an option, not sure why it’s even worth discussing.

They could barely get him in the first place, if they pull a bush league move and trade a guy they signed long term after 60 games, no one will sign here again for a long, long time.
    If the Reds build a winning franchise, they will have no problem signing players, no matter what they do with Castellanos.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If the Reds build a winning franchise, they will have no problem signing players, no matter what they do with Castellanos.
    Problem is they’re not there right now, and won’t have that reputation by the time that contract is over.

Also - Castellanos is historically a pretty good hitter. The lineup needs someone like him anyway.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 10-14-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    1983 is a hell of a drug.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

westofyou (10-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    1983 is a hell of a drug.

Paging Mr. Hoyt, paging Mr. LaMarr Hoyt...

14. Likes:

757690 (10-14-2020),M2 (10-14-2020),UKFlounder (10-14-2020)

Problem is they’re not there right now, and won’t have that reputation by the time that contract is.

Also - Castellanos is historically a pretty good hitter. The lineup needs someone like him anyway.
    He was in a big rut at the end of the year, no doubt.

But I’m not buying the narrative that he all of a sudden got figured out. He’s a 6-7 year vet with a track record.

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-14-2020),Rdirtypirates (10-14-2020),Ron Madden (10-14-2020),Tom Servo (10-14-2020),Wonderful Monds (10-14-2020)

Problem is they’re not there right now, and won’t have that reputation by the time that contract is.

I am usually pessimistic about this franchise, but I can easily see them being a competitive franchise next year with the right moves.

As for Castellanos, I think he will hit. But the Reds are overloaded with guys like him, HR guys that can’t field. They need to have fewer of them. I wouldn’t rule out trading Castellanos for the right deal.

It’s really not a hard problem to solve. Move Votto to DH if you don’t like his defense so much, although I think even that problem is overblown. Then move one of your slow DH types that are in the outfield to first base, just as teams have done as long as this sport has been played.
    That's not a bad idea - just give Winker a 1B mitt and give Votto spot starts at 1B when Jesse sits. I know a lot have scoffed at that idea, but he couldn't be worse than Votto was last year, could he? I think Wink has proven to be more athletic than his reputation has predicted. That would allow the Reds to move Castellanos to LF and use some mix of Shogo/Goodwin/Aquino/Senzel for the other two OF slots.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I am usually pessimistic about this franchise, but I can easily see them being a competitive franchise next year with the right moves.

As for Castellanos, I think he will hit. But the Reds are overloaded with guys like him, HR guys that can’t field. They need to have fewer of them. I wouldn’t rule out trading Castellanos for the right deal.
    I don’t see the Reds getting “the right deal” for Castellanos.

He’s due $48 million guaranteed next three seasons. His opt outs are one-way in his favor.

He hit .225 this year, with an OBP under .300 and an OPS under .800. And OF defense is not his strong suit.

The only likely trade would be a salary dump. Reds paying some salary, unloading most of it, and getting second tier prospects back.

It’s a “sell low” situation, almost always a mistake, and unnecessary as Nick probably can still hit very well over a full season if Reds give it a shot.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-14-2020 at 05:40 PM.

20. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (10-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?