Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: We Might Have “It”

Re: We Might Have “It”

I don't think this Reds team has the "best" of any one thing, but it looks like a really well-rounded and deep team that is solid at each facet of the game.

And anybody can look this way against a bottom-feeding foe, or against anybody in one game...but they look like a team that really wants to win and really thinks that they can win.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    but they look like a team that really wants to win and really thinks that they can win.
    In watching some of the post game interviews this is something that stuck out to me. Someone talked about how the environment around the team was different this year. He said there is constant chatter about winning. It seems to me like there is a real sense of confidence and urgency to win.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think bringing in Moose and Castellanos was the Reds doing what they need to do. Adding Miley and Shogo helps even more. I think the offense is going to be real good. The rotation has two top guys in Gray and Castillo, upside in Bauer and a strong back end in Disco and Miley. The bullpen has a ton of potential but I'm still skeptical of almost all of them. Hopefully all the main guys come back strong.

The team has what it takes as long as Bauer and the bullpen perform. Now they just need to stay healthy.
    If Disco pitches like he did in the 2nd half last year, he's more than a back of the rotation guy. Don't forget that this guy was our ace for awhile and while he wasn't a typical ace, he certainly would've fit as a 2 or 3. If Castillo takes that next step forward and cuts down on walks, this team is going to be very strong.

I think Moose is so valuable as he is as clutch as there is. Seems last season, when the Brewers needed a big hit late in the game, Moose stepped up just about every time. If Shogo becomes the effective lead-off man I think he will, this team will roll and roll and roll.

I'm thrilled but one thing is concerning me, Senzel. Yesterday his at bats looked tentative, as if he's got two guys in the box (himself and himself "The Watcher"). I hope I'm wrong, or maybe he catches some breaks that loosen him up.

This is the strongest Reds team in many years, and they do seem to have “it.” However, the last Reds team that I thought had “it” was the 2012 Reds. And this year’s playoffs is even more of a crap shoot.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    I'm thrilled but one thing is concerning me, Senzel. Yesterday his at bats looked tentative, as if he's got two guys in the box (himself and himself "The Watcher"). I hope I'm wrong, or maybe he catches some breaks that loosen him up.
    I did drive one hard but right at the left fielder.

First and foremost, baseball is back and I couldnt have been more excited. As far as the Reds having the "It" factor, I think time will tell. But here is one thing I noticed yesterday, this Reds lineup doesn't have a spot in it where I cringe. Folks, when Senzel and Galvis are your #7 and #8 hitters, your lineup is stacked. I realize Senzel had a rough game at the plate, but when Moose, Nick and Votto are sluggin, we can afford that. The only thing holding me back from saying the Reds have "It", is the bullpen. I think that is going to be our kryptonite, if we have one.

Let's not overlook Votto's day. He hit the ball hard with authority 3 times off a left hander and hit one out. 2017 Votto instead of 2019 Votto will turn this team into the 2nd best offense in the national league.

10. Likes:

M2 (07-25-2020),vaticanplum (07-25-2020)

I think the best part about this team is it’s depth in hitting. There is not one hole in the lineup. Just like Bell showed us yesterday he is not afraid to start Ervin against a lefty and later in the game pinch hit with the likes of Shogo, Winker, Jankowski. It’s a good feeling when the guys who come off the bench give you the same confidence as the guys who started the game.
    Another telling stat from yesterday was that we had 9 hits and 7 runs. I cannot tell you how many games there were last year where we hit 10+ and only scored 2-3. Really tells me that everyone in the lineup has the ability to strike and get into scoring position. Hell even Suarez and Senzel (who hit in an important part of the line up) didn’t have a good game yesterday but we made due without.
    I understand that this is game 1 and a game against a horrifyingly bad Tigers team but the reds did what the best teams last year would do (Dodgers, Astros, Yankees)... they did not play down to their competition and showed exactly who was boss.
    Like someone said earlier in the thread... I’m giddy.

Just to add some levity to the gushing.... Jose Pereza went 4-5 last night in the BoSox win.

13. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-25-2020),Ron Madden (07-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Just to add some levity to the gushing.... Jose Pereza went 4-5 last night in the BoSox win.
    2 Doubles and 3 for 3 with Runners in scoring position....4 RBI's
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

15. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    2 Doubles and 3 for 3 with Runners in scoring position....4 RBI's
    The first three batters of the Red Sox lineup saw a combined 73 pitches, Pereza saw eight

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The first three batters of the Red Sox lineup saw a combined 73 pitches, Pereza saw eight
    He hitting 5th in today's batting order

Happy we won but the Tigers could be the worst team in baseball. Need to crush these bad teams.

19. Likes:

mth123 (07-25-2020)

Welp

Turn Off Ads?