Where do people get this?
    Umm, last season...?

11.27 K/9
    Nearly 1.0 fWAR as a relief arm

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-24-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2020 Reds News, Notes And Discussion

i'm just over the moon here with how the reds have put themselves into a good position to make the playoffs. i'm also nervous as hell given the history of pro sports in this city, post-1990.

maybe we're due. would be the most 2020 thing if the reds barely made the playoffs ... then won the whole damn thing.

this minnesota series does concern me though. for the obvious reasons of course (twins are very good). but in addition to that, we have an offense that relies on the home-run ball headed to a park that is quite pitcher-friendly for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post

this minnesota series does concern me though. for the obvious reasons of course (twins are very good). but in addition to that, we have an offense that relies on the home-run ball headed to a park that is quite pitcher-friendly for the most part.
    Missing Kenta Maeda helps. They never seemed to be able to hit him and his #'s are very good this year. But Berrios, Pineda, Hill are no slouches!

6. Likes:

JFLegal (09-25-2020),Ron Madden (09-24-2020)

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds
    1h
    Transaction: #Reds release RHP Nate Jones.

So who pitches Sunday now? Antone? And do the Reds seriously limit Castillo tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    So who pitches Sunday now? Antone? And do the Reds seriously limit Castillo tomorrow?
    So long as he's on regular rest, you pitch Castillo within reason tomorrow...eh, 90 pitch limit?

Sunday, hell, throw Big Sal out there. Let the mop-up guys deal with it. That's their job.

The question will be, who makes the playoff roster.

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So long as he's on regular rest, you pitch Castillo within reason tomorrow...eh, 90 pitch limit?

Sunday, hell, throw Big Sal out there. Let the mop-up guys deal with it. That's their job.

The question will be, who makes the playoff roster.
    I think you gotta start Gray on Sunday to keep him on regular rest, especially since he's missed some time. I wouldn't throw him any more than 5 innings, but he likely won't pitch until at least next Thursday or Friday.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

12. Likes:

Boss-Hog (09-26-2020),SirFelixCat (09-26-2020)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Sonny Gray will start vs. #MNTwins on Sunday. Trevor Bauer in Game 1 in playoffs; Luis Castillo in Game 2; Gray in a potential Game 3. #Reds

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-26-2020)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    David Bell said Archie Bradley had some soreness earlier this week, so he wasn't available for a couple days. He's healthy and good to go now. He may have pitched in the 9th last night if #Reds didn't score add-on runs.

So deGrom didn't have the best go of it today. Gave up 3 earned over 5 IP, only got .1 fWAR and finishes the year with a 2.38 ERA, over a half run higher than Bauers 1.77

Since he and Darvish have one more start, they nip Bauer in a category hear and there, but over all, for one less start, Bauer matches them or beats them in the stuff that counts. If Bauer doesn't win it, it will be a travesty.

I think the Reds have their first Cy Young winner.

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    So deGrom didn't have the best go of it today. Gave up 3 earned over 5 IP, only got .1 fWAR and finishes the year with a 2.38 ERA, over a half run higher than Bauers 1.77

Since he and Darvish have one more start, they nip Bauer in a category hear and there, but over all, for one less start, Bauer matches them or beats them in the stuff that counts. If Bauer doesn't win it, it will be a travesty.

I think the Reds have their first Cy Young winner.
    I love your optimism, but you are ignoring the love affair that the writers have with the Cubs. Darvish could be a half a run worse than Bauer in ERA and FIP and still win the Cy Young. It sucks, but that’s the way it’s been my entire life as a baseball fan.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

18. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I love your optimism, but you are ignoring the love affair that the writers have with the Cubs. Darvish could be a half a run worse than Bauer in ERA and FIP and still win the Cy Young. It sucks, but that’s the way it’s been my entire life as a baseball fan.
    The Reds qualifying for the playoffs has to help.

Whenever you take a losing team and help them start winning, it adds a little chutzpah to what you have accomplished, and that carries a little weight with some voters. Although the name and brand recognition is with the Cubs and Darvish, Bauer has a very good shot. It will be he or Darvish and I think he is going to get it.

The main argument most pundits were making for deGrom was strength of schedule, because supposedly the central has all the worst offenses. But that really doesn't fly with Darvish.
    Last edited by jup; 09-27-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    #Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson said Michael Lorenzen could be a starter next year. "He's put himself in that conversation. Where we need to go depends on who is going to come back, who we're going to get."

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-27-2020)

Lance McAlister
    @LanceMcAlister
    #Reds entered their game two weeks ago today at 20-26, in danger of dropping a season low 7 under .500.

They then went 11-3 to finish the season to secure a winning season and playoff spot. That's damn impressive. Props to players, Bell, staff and front office.

23. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-27-2020),Old school 1983 (09-28-2020),Rolando (09-27-2020)

So I am not sure whether this is across the board or just for this round or just certain cities or what.

A few weeks back the MLB circulated something to have players list parents and family for two type bubbles in case they were a playoff bound team. One type bubble involved players that wanted to have their family actually in the bubble with them, since they have been able to live with them and visit them during the regular season. That group had to go into quarantine for a seven day period prior to the playoffs so there was a limited chance they could infect a playoff team, and then stay in the "player bubble" for the entire playoff run. Reds team started theirs when they traveled to Minneapolis last Thrs. So once they left Cincy, no going back to their apartments or homes or ... Only the MLB quarantined hotels no matter what city they were in.

There was another grouping. Those were family members that were not going to be "player bubbled", so they COULD NOT actually be in contact with players or family in the bubble, but were allowed to attend the playoff games, go out from the MLB sponsored hotels into public like what is "normal" for this "virus" time in whatever city they ended up in. (ie visiting teams family wouldn't be locked down and could leave the "MLB sponsored hotel" to go out site seeing or whatever in the visiting city). There was no distinction between rounds made.

Well someone tells me today that the word came down that the Red's "visiting team families", that are not in the "players bubble", will not be able to attend the games in Atlanta. That is pretty late to tell families that have purchased plane flights and arranged work/school considerations for a trip they were about to embark on, that it is no longer available to them.

Could be just ATL or could be across the board for the WC round not sure. But if I was a player, and you told me to put together a list because they were going to allow attendance for certain groups at all playoff games, to then turn around and say NO GO for at least this round, I would not be very thrilled with whomever is coordinating this thing in the commissioner's office, given they have had a months to figure this thing out.

It will be interesting to see if the home cities "not player bubblized" family list is allowed to attend. If so, I would be a mad as hell visiting team player.

Turn Off Ads?