Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Reds News, Notes And Discussion

Re: 2020 Reds News, Notes And Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I always liked him as a utility guy but seems like hes on a downward spiral.
    He had a decent year last year. I was kinda surprised we didn't see him more when we played the Tigers but I guess they know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Deleon should be sent down tomorrow. Better yet just release him he has no future at the major league level.

Ditto for Cody Reed I'm afraid
    Last edited by DocRed; 08-06-2020 at 08:42 PM.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (08-06-2020),reds77 (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Deleon should be sent down tomorrow. Better yet just release him he has no future at the major league level.

Ditto for Cody Reed I'm afraid
    Well he probably will be sent down after that 50 pitch outing. He looked like a potential key piece of the pen his first inning. The second inning was the polar opposite. I’d hang onto him for a bit.

I’ve been a big Reed supporter and thought he would bring it this year. I wouldn’t suggest it, but I wouldn’t be upset if he was jettisoned. But as long as Brooks Raley is here, Reed has a roster spot.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Well he probably will be sent down after that 50 pitch outing. He looked like a potential key piece of the pen his first inning. The second inning was the polar opposite. I’d hang onto him for a bit.

I’ve been a big Reed supporter and thought he would bring it this year. I wouldn’t suggest it, but I wouldn’t be upset if he was jettisoned. But as long as Brooks Raley is here, Reed has a roster spot.
    Raley was DFA today

7. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Raley was DFA today
    Didn’t catch that one. Thanks.

That puts Reed on the chopping block.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-06-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Didn’t catch that one. Thanks.

That puts Reed on the chopping block.
    Isn't it the opposite? Now that Raley is gone, Reed's spot seems to be pretty secure.

Marlins won again last night and are now 6-1, best record in baseball. That team has every excuse to be horrible yet they are getting it done with over half their team on the IL. We could learn something from them....

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Marlins won again last night and are now 6-1, best record in baseball. That team has every excuse to be horrible yet they are getting it done with over half their team on the IL. We could learn something from them....
    I guess the lesson is that maybe there is still hope and the Reds can put together a nice winning streak?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    I guess the lesson is that maybe there is still hope and the Reds can put together a nice winning streak?
    Or that covid exposure correlates strongly with winning baseball?
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Isn't it the opposite? Now that Raley is gone, Reed's spot seems to be pretty secure.
    Who are the next two guys to go when Miley and Stephenson return? If Reed isn't one of those two names, performance isn't the criteria. I'm pretty sure Deleon will be first, but I think Reed is clearly the worst pitcher on the roster. If he does survive, I wonder how long they will keep Antone down.

Reed had chances to stick since 2016. Time to move on IMO. Hopefully they can deal him for something.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

DocRed (08-07-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Who are the next two guys to go when Miley and Stephenson return? If Reed isn't one of those two names, performance isn't the criteria. I'm pretty sure Deleon will be first, but I think Reed is clearly the worst pitcher on the roster. If he does survive, I wonder how long they will keep Antone down.

Reed had chances to stick since 2016. Time to move on IMO. Hopefully they can deal him for something.
    I'm not the one who thinks the Reds need to have multiple quality lefties in the 'pen, but many this off-season have stated it as if it were a fact. If so, there are no other lefties to really even given Reed competition at this point.

Reed has been very bad in a very small sample this year. He was much better in another very small sample in the bigs last year. He was also very good in a much larger sample in 2018. So has had chances to stick, and the last two of them, he showed very well. My patience is running thin with this squad, but I believe Reed can be a valuable piece in this pen. He has never been very good about getting out righties, but he could still help in a situation where there are multiple lefties coming up out of the next few hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I'm not the one who thinks the Reds need to have multiple quality lefties in the 'pen, but many this off-season have stated it as if it were a fact. If so, there are no other lefties to really even given Reed competition at this point.

Reed has been very bad in a very small sample this year. He was much better in another very small sample in the bigs last year. He was also very good in a much larger sample in 2018. So has had chances to stick, and the last two of them, he showed very well. My patience is running thin with this squad, but I believe Reed can be a valuable piece in this pen. He has never been very good about getting out righties, but he could still help in a situation where there are multiple lefties coming up out of the next few hitters.
    I hear you and he might stick because he's left handed, but every other pitcher in the pen has a legitimate case that they should stay and he should go. Reed doesn't really have a case other than he's a lefty and out of options. If he was a one time failure, I might let the out of options thing sway me to prevent losing him, but he's had how many years now? Time to move on. If he goes somewhere else and figures it out, good for him. I don't think it's going to happen in Cincy.

BTW, in 43 IP in relief with all the match-ups in his favor in 2018 he had a 3.90 FIP. That's not "very good" that's a fringe guy who you keep around because he's cheap. Relievers have a lot of advantages starters don't. Hitters don't see them multiple times in a season let alone multiple times in a game and they usually have hand picked match-ups going for them. Anything above 3.25 isn;t really all that impressive under those conditions.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-07-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Lance McAlister
    @LanceMcAlister

Per
    @fangraphs

#Reds odds of making playoffs
    50.4%

19. Likes:

DocRed (08-07-2020)

https://twitter.com/baseball_ref/sta...20173750657029
    Baseball Reference
    @baseball_ref
    The #Reds have the best starting pitchers by WAR; their rotation has racked up 2.5 wins above replacement so far this year.

That advantage has been almost entirely erased by their bullpen, which is the worst in MLB by WAR and has been 2 wins WORSE than replacement level

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    BTW, in 43 IP in relief with all the match-ups in his favor in 2018 he had a 3.90 FIP. That's not "very good" that's a fringe guy who you keep around because he's cheap. Relievers have a lot of advantages starters don't. Hitters don't see them multiple times in a season let alone multiple times in a game and they usually have hand picked match-ups going for them. Anything above 3.25 isn;t really all that impressive under those conditions.
    My hunch is that these are outdated assumptions from the days when relievers didn't throw so many innings, not to mention the scoring environment in the MLB the last few seasons. I'm thinking any reliever FIP under 4.00 is pretty useful and your quality relievers are closer to a 3.50 FIP. I'm sure somebody like RMR might chime in to set me straight and I'm potentially being pedantic but I think a lefty capable of a 3.90 FIP is a valued commodity...

Turn Off Ads?