Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Reds News, Notes And Discussion

Re: 2020 Reds News, Notes And Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    With the number of starters who are injured around baseball, Miley might bring a solid return. There was a rule about not trading guys signed as free agents until so far into the season. I think the date was June 15th. Since the season was delayed, I wonder if/when he can be traded. A solid middle reliever and maybe a lefty bench bat would be gfreat. The Reds could throw in any of a number of guys (Reed, Ervin, Van Meter, etc). I like the idea.
    No way, Reds need the SP depth and can always use the odd man out in the pen if all guys are healthy. They'll need to replace Disco and possibly Bauer as well in 2021.

I'm not a huge fan of Wade Miley but he's a solid swingman with upside and it's not like his deal is breaking the bank.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    No way, Reds need the SP depth and can always use the odd man out in the pen if all guys are healthy. They'll need to replace Disco and possibly Bauer as well in 2021.

I'm not a huge fan of Wade Miley but he's a solid swingman with upside and it's not like his deal is breaking the bank.
    I get that logic. My logic is that it's a short season and the chance of needing him is less important than fixing the gawd awful bullpen and bench. The Reds have a lot of quantity but quality is lacking. They need somebody better than Van Meter and a reliable reliever, preferably left handed. Too much faith in comebacks and guys who have had years to establish themselves and never could. Guys like Cody Reed are pyrite. There isn't one pitcher in the bullpen that I really like all that much. Even Garrett is a one inning guy. Whenever he comes in, once the side is retired and he sits down in the dugout, he's awful when he goes back out there. Even if he only pitches to one batter. I'd take a chance on trying to win this year. Mahle can take that spot with Antone as the 6th starter.

If they aren't going to deal for a reliever, I'd give Hunter Greene a look.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-05-2020)

I get that logic. My logic is that it's a short season and the chance of needing him is less important than fixing the gawd awful bullpen and bench. The Reds have a lot of quantity but quality is lacking. They need somebody better than Van Meter and a reliable reliever, preferably left handed. Too much faith in comebacks and guys who have had years to establish themselves and never could. Guys like Cody Reed are pyrite. There isn't one pitcher in the bullpen that I really like all that much. Even Garrett is a one inning guy. Whenever he comes in, once the side is retired and he sits down in the dugout, he's awful when he goes back out there. Even if he only pitches to one batter. I'd take a chance on trying to win this year. Mahle can take that spot with Antone as the 6th starter.

But maybe Miley is the answer? I'm not ready to give up on him after a single bad outing. One of Miley/Mahle will help the pen. Hell, I'd make Mahle the closer as soon as he gets pushed to the pen. I'm not sure the Reds are ready to bring Hunter up this year, but I'd love to see it. Maybe they start with Jose De Leon. They'll need to make some moves Thursday morning, why not shake up the bullpen a bit?

And when it comes to improving the bench, why not consider bringing up Garcia and moving Galvis to the bench? That would render Colon and Van Meter obsolete in a single move.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-05-2020),Tom Servo (08-05-2020)

But maybe Miley is the answer? I'm not ready to give up on him after a single bad outing. One of Miley/Mahle will help the pen. Hell, I'd make Mahle the closer as soon as he gets pushed to the pen. I'm not sure the Reds are ready to bring Hunter up this year, but I'd love to see it. Maybe they start with Jose De Leon. They'll need to make some moves Thursday morning, why not shake up the bullpen a bit?

And when it comes to improving the bench, why not consider bringing up Garcia and moving Galvis to the bench? That would render Colon and Van Meter obsolete in a single move.
    If Reds want to add to the bench it needs to be a left handed hitter.

Most pitchers are right handed. Van Meter is the major LH bat on the bench. If a change is made, it should upgrade that.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-05-2020 at 01:26 PM.

I think you would get a lot for T-Bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Reds want to add to the bench it needs to be a left handed hitter.

Most pitchers are right handed. Van Meter is the major LH bat on the bench. If a change is made, it should upgrade that.
    I think the Reds LHH bench improvement options don't move the needle. Maybe there's a trade out there, but I doubt it. They need something bigger. Garcia is the bold move. That would push Galvis to backup SS/2B and lefty PH option. They could keep Jankowski or JVM as the alternative lefty bench guy. I'd lean toward Jankowski as he's the one true CF backup plan. Then it's Ervin vs. AA as your backup RH OF. Davidson, JVM and Colon would be out.

I’ve been checking this thread for days to see if this sentiment is gaining traction.

Greene, Lodolo ....

They’ll have to do something if things don’t turn around very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds
    The #Reds and Cubs will make up last Thursday's rainout as part of a traditional doubleheader at GABP with two 7-inning games on Saturday, August 29 at 4:10 p.m. ET.

But maybe Miley is the answer? I'm not ready to give up on him after a single bad outing. One of Miley/Mahle will help the pen.
    Yeah obviously the last start for both men weighs on everyone's minds but over the last two years it isn't particularly close as to who has been the better starter and it's almost entirely due to HR prevention.

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

13. Likes:

Mitri (08-05-2020),Ron Madden (08-05-2020)

I'd be up for Garcia.

I'm not giving up on Miley. I just think the Rotation seems to be where the depth is. If I couldn't get an established reliable middle reliever, I'd probably try Mahle or Miley out there, but I'd rather get somebody who isn't an experiment or question mark. Garrett coming off a bad second half. Iglesias turning into Phil Dumatrait, Strop had a 5ish ERA last year, Reed debuted in 2016 and is still trying to establish himself and seems to only be there because of options. Stephenson injured. Sims was a failed prospect in Atlanta that they dealt for. A reliable arm to help settle things down is needed amongst all that uncertainty. Moving a starter out there is just more uncertainty. Greene would be as well, but its a huge upside play at least.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

DocRed (08-05-2020)

Teams can add different players to the taxi squad for each road trip.

C. トレント・ローズクランズ
    @ctrent
    From #Reds: The Reds today assigned to the Taxi Squad RHP José De León (#87) and non-roster C Francisco Peña (#4).

thats exciting news let me know when they decided to play an outfielder who hit 16 homers in one month

Zero timely hitting...offense is bad. Sugarcoat it however you want...this team doesn't have it
    Last edited by DocRed; 08-05-2020 at 10:10 PM.

I think the Reds LHH bench improvement options don't move the needle. Maybe there's a trade out there, but I doubt it. They need something bigger. Garcia is the bold move. That would push Galvis to backup SS/2B and lefty PH option. They could keep Jankowski or JVM as the alternative lefty bench guy. I'd lean toward Jankowski as he's the one true CF backup plan. Then it's Ervin vs. AA as your backup RH OF. Davidson, JVM and Colon would be out.
    Garcia never even played AA ball. The bold move for Garcia would be Louisville. Or the Arizona Fall League.

If you want to shake up the offense put Aquino in LF full time; move Shogo to the bench; and get rid of Van Meter and/or Ervin.

Senzel, Votto, Castellanos, Moustakas, Suarez, Aquino, Winker, Galvis, Barnhart. That’s a power laden lineup.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-05-2020 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Garcia never even played AA ball. The bold move for Garcia would be Louisville. Or the Arizona Fall League.
    In a regular season Garcia would be tearing up AA and headed to a promotion to AAA. It's not hard to envision a scenario where he's knocking on the door for Galvis' job. Stop trying to bend your conservative approach into reality. If you don't think burning an option on Garcia in the pandemic season is a good move, fine, I can buy that. But Garcia has flashed enough talent to give us at least what we're seeing from Galvis, with a boatload more upside. It's probably the easiest single move the Reds could make to truly shake up the roster. Might not work, but could pay off massively.

I agree that Aquino deserves a shot. I think Shogo deserves more of a leash than Winker, Jesse has looked absolutely awful.

Turn Off Ads?