Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Political Ads

Political Ads

Been here for over 20 years. From the beginning we have a strict policy on political post outside a specific forum. I pay annual fee to avoid ads. Despite me paying that since thee was a fee, the last two seasons I have had ads. I've raised this a few times and have been told is my settings. I have Ad Block through PC Matic and they say it's on the site's end that maybe I wasn't credited with my membership. The last two days, my feed has many political ads from the same candidate. No way should this happen.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Likes:

redsfandan (07-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Political Ads

Yeah, I'm not a paying member so I've seen all kinds of ads. lol. But, c'mon, it's like 'duh'. There's a specific forum for anything political. Making everyone have to see those ads kinda seems like it goes contrary to that one point.

And to anyone that brings up the kneeling, there are ways people can tune that out (don't watch until the first pitch, etc). The political ads can't be tuned out as easily. Yeah, paying might help (if technology works like it should). But, the economy is in the tank. Asking for people to pay money (when they might be a paycheck to paycheck person/family) to enjoy a site (an escape) like the site says they can (no politics unless they go in that forum) . . .

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I can't speak directly for this site because I'm not 100% sure how they are generating their ads, but assuming that it's through one of many, many options - it's not always possible to just turn off "political ads". And even when you can, there are bad actors out there who submit ads that get approved and then they change the code for those ads on their end after approval and it shows and links to things that weren't approved. Then there's also some situations where a company sells their own ads, but if they don't have enough to serve, they buy google ads to fill the amount that they can't fill and sometimes things sneak in that way that are "blocked" by the site.

It's an issue I've run into before with a few different companies. Unfortunately, it sucks from the website operator perspective if you do have things blocked and they still get by.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can't speak directly for this site because I'm not 100% sure how they are generating their ads, but assuming that it's through one of many, many options - it's not always possible to just turn off "political ads". And even when you can, there are bad actors out there who submit ads that get approved and then they change the code for those ads on their end after approval and it shows and links to things that weren't approved. Then there's also some situations where a company sells their own ads, but if they don't have enough to serve, they buy google ads to fill the amount that they can't fill and sometimes things sneak in that way that are "blocked" by the site.

It's an issue I've run into before with a few different companies. Unfortunately, it sucks from the website operator perspective if you do have things blocked and they still get by.
    So, basically, another reason why the internet is so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Been here for over 20 years. From the beginning we have a strict policy on political post outside a specific forum. I pay annual fee to avoid ads. Despite me paying that since thee was a fee, the last two seasons I have had ads. I've raised this a few times and have been told is my settings. I have Ad Block through PC Matic and they say it's on the site's end that maybe I wasn't credited with my membership. The last two days, my feed has many political ads from the same candidate. No way should this happen.
    Your subscription ran from 6/2/2017 ‐ 6/2/2019 and was not renewed. The reason you're currently seeing ads is that we show ads to everyone but current subscribers, and your subscription ended last June. I don't recall you raising this issue to me before, or I'd have told you this at that point.

As far as the content, in addition to what Doug said, we can't selectively only show certain ad types in select forums. I agree that it's not ideal to show political ads outside the specific area, but short of turning that ad type off completely, there's not much we can do. Even if we were to turn it off, there's no guarantee that change would prevent anything remotely political from being shown.

Lastly, we've not really asked anyone to pay for a membership during the pandemic; in fact, we slashed the annual rate in half for over a month. Our revenue is significantly down this year, presumambly due to the pandemic, but we're not trying to recoup that lost money by charging everyone or charging more or anything like that.

8. Likes:

dfs (07-26-2020)

No political ads for me but I just got a “Boobs deserve better” ad for “Cupp?” bras.

Rock on!

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-28-2020),savafan (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Your subscription ran from 6/2/2017 ‐ 6/2/2019 and was not renewed. The reason you're currently seeing ads is that we show ads to everyone but current subscribers, and your subscription ended last June. I don't recall you raising this issue to me before, or I'd have told you this at that point.

As far as the content, in addition to what Doug said, we can't selectively only show certain ad types in select forums. I agree that it's not ideal to show political ads outside the specific area, but short of turning that ad type off completely, there's not much we can do. Even if we were to turn it off, there's no guarantee that change would prevent anything remotely political from being shown.

Lastly, we've not really asked anyone to pay for a membership during the pandemic; in fact, we slashed the annual rate in half for over a month. Our revenue is significantly down this year, presumambly due to the pandemic, but we're not trying to recoup that lost money by charging everyone or charging more or anything like that.
    No problem. I'm embarrassed. I truly didn't know it had expired. I'll pay tonight. Sorry. It's been a rough 2020. I'm broke, but not so broke I can't afford to renew.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

12. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    No political ads for me but I just got a “Boobs deserve better” ad for “Cupp?” bras.

Rock on!
    I keep getting the "See Vintage Naked Kylie Jenner Pics" ad, which is nerve wracking when I'm scrolling through the site on my lunch break
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I keep getting the "See Vintage Naked Kylie Jenner Pics" ad, which is nerve wracking when I'm scrolling through the site on my lunch break
    You're sure that's coming from this site/our ad network? I was able to block the "boobs deserve better" ad to keep in line with the spirit of the site, but I don't see anything in our ad inventory that matches any of those major keywords. We've always had the "References to Sex & Sexuality" category of ads blocked, but as I was mentioning before with regards to political ads, it's definitely not fool proof.

You're sure that's coming from this site/our ad network? I was able to block the "boobs deserve better" ad to keep in line with the spirit of the site, but I don't see anything in our ad inventory that matches any of those major keywords. We've always had the "References to Sex & Sexuality" category of ads blocked, but as I was mentioning before with regards to political ads, it's definitely not fool proof.
    Yeah, it's something about Vintage Photos from the 90's, and then there's images of various famous females in stages of undress or transparent clothing.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

16. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Yeah, it's something about Vintage Photos from the 90's, and then there's images of various famous females in stages of undress or transparent clothing.
    I wasn't able to locate that ad, but I've blocked ads from that advertiser, so let me know if you still see it (or anything else along those lines).

18. Likes:

savafan (08-01-2020)

I wasn't able to locate that ad, but I've blocked ads from that advertiser, so let me know if you still see it (or anything else along those lines).
    Will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn Off Ads?