Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Olivia de Haviland, R.I.P.

Olivia de Haviland, R.I.P.

Two time best actress Oscar winner and the last surviving star of Hollywood's Golden Age, Olivia de Haviland has died, age 104. She is perhaps best remembered as "Melanie Wilkes" in Gone With The Wind.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-27-2020),Kingspoint (07-27-2020),Roy Tucker (07-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Olivia de Haviland, R.I.P.

Melly, always will be Melly to me.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-27-2020),RedsBaron (07-27-2020),RFS62 (07-29-2020),Roy Tucker (07-27-2020)

The door can close and lock and the key thrown away now on the Golden Age of Hollywood (but, I'm sure I'm forgetting someone really important).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-27-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

RedsBaron (07-27-2020)

I just realized that I misspelled her name! I should have spelled her last name with two "l"-Olivia de Havilland.
    From what I have read, she was a courageous lady but also sadly estranged from her sister, another Oscar winning actress, Joan Fontaine.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-27-2020),Kingspoint (07-27-2020),Roy Tucker (07-27-2020)

She became famous playing Errol Flynn's love interest in black-and-white films. I was stunned to hear she was still alive. She was born before all of my grandparents. Also dated Howard Hughes.

Arguably, she and her sister Joan Fontaine are the finest pair of acting siblings in movie history (only pair to have won best actress/actor awards).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The door can close and lock and the key thrown away now on the Golden Age of Hollywood (but, I'm sure I'm forgetting someone really important).
    Yeah, I had de Havliand and Kirk Douglas in my mind as the last of that era.

Although not Hollywood, I did just learn that Doc Severinsen is still alive. (Look it up, kids!).

Sad to see but a life well-lived.

I’d watch GWTW every couple years or so and it would remind me she was still walking the planet.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Yeah, I had de Havliand and Kirk Douglas in my mind as the last of that era.

Although not Hollywood, I did just learn that Doc Severinsen is still alive. (Look it up, kids!).
    Not as big a name as some others, but I've been checking in on Norman Lloyd:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Lloyd

Poor guy had to give up tennis at age 100.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

15. Likes:

M2 (08-06-2020),marcshoe (07-28-2020),Rojo (08-01-2020)

She made her film debut as Joe E Brown's fiancee in the 1935 movie Alibi Ike (which I have a copy of). Enjoyable movie!

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?