Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlins have Covid outbreak

Re: Marlins have Covid outbreak

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    This is why the 60 man squad should be mostly guys on the 40 and AAAA guys like Colon. If they add guys to the 40 to replace guys on Covid IL, you have to cut guys from 40 when IL guys are cleared. You want guys who are replaceable. Guys you can cut without worry.
    MLB's planning for this has been laughable. Do we even know what happens with the Marlins now?

Hopefully the NFL is googling "bubble locations"

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Man. This sucks. I saw there being cases and maybe a few small outbreaks here and there, but not like this, and not this soon. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop...

In the meantime, hoping these players and their families (some will definitely be infected) recover quickly and with minimal symptoms.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

5. Likes:

wolfboy (07-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I don't think this "season" will be completed.
    You may be right. I doubt they will pull the season very easily or soon. They did “prepare” for this with the 60-player pool. We may just see some teams with make shift rosters.

The owners will fight to get to a playoff round, even with make shift rosters. The players, of course, may just all refuse to play at some point - and that would be the end.

Hindsight, the NBA’s “bubble” idea may have been the best. Although with MLB it’s more personnel, a longer “season,” it would be more difficult to accomplish. But it would have, for example, eliminated travel.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-27-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NachoMan View Post
    MLB's planning for this has been laughable. Do we even know what happens with the Marlins now?

Hopefully the NFL is googling "bubble locations"
    The other leagues kept their teams in strict bubbles, no traveling, no mixing with the public. MLB thought they could avoid doing that. It seems MLB was wrong.

If they continue the season, it will be a joke of a season. Even if it’s just the Marlins, having one team made up of mostly minor leaguers, takes any legitimacy out of the equation.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-27-2020),Wonderful Monds (07-27-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I know I don’t want a big team of people traveling to Cincinnati from hotspots and doing god knows what here in the city, just as an average person who doesn’t want a worse outbreak here.

10. Likes:

757690 (07-27-2020),Revering4Blue (07-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The other leagues kept their teams in strict bubbles, no traveling, no mixing with the public. MLB thought they could avoid doing that. It seems MLB was wrong.

If they continue the season, it will be a joke of a season. Even if it’s just the Marlins, having one team made up of mostly minor leaguers, takes any legitimacy out of the equation.
    I almost prefer the “joke of a season.” Just watch some games for fun. It’s certainly not a representative season, whatever happens.

I wonder if MLB could convert to a “bubble” for September and the playoffs. Would have to be two or three bubbles, but agree in hindsight that seems like a better plan.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-27-2020),Wonderful Monds (07-27-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I thought there was also supposed to be some kind of protocol about players not being able to leave their hotels, did that not end up happening either? And players sitting in the stands instead of the dugout, and no high fives and group celebrations? Did they just end up implementing literally zero safety precautions?

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-27-2020)

Miami - home to one of the largest hotspots for covid - produced the first team with a widespread outbreak. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

16. Likes:

Chip R (07-28-2020),redsmetz (07-27-2020)

I felt like it made more sense when they were talking about doing isolated Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues and keeping teams at their own facilities. Obviously not ideal, but would have been easier to prevent this from happening. Not that it was ever TOTALLY preventable unless they were going totally bubble/compound like the NHL has.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I almost prefer the “joke of a season.” Just watch some games for fun. It’s certainly not a representative season, whatever happens.

I wonder if MLB could convert to a “bubble” for September and the playoffs. Would have to be two or three bubbles, but agree in hindsight that seems like a better plan.
    Oh, I’m watching either way. I mean, who has anything better to do. But care about who wins? Not any more.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    Tonight’s Yankees-Phillies game is cancelled, source tells The Athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Miami - home to one of the largest hotspots for covid - produced the first team with a widespread outbreak. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.
    yes, it's very likely that one (or more) miami players already had the virus before they traveled to philly. didn't realize he was carrying the virus ... and ended up passing it along to his teammates. there's also a chance a marlins player got the virus after landing in philly, but i would say it's much more likely they brought it with them.

regardless, a very bad sign. not even four games into the season and a game has already been canceled due to covid. eff 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

It’s a thought but I don’t see how they can put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point.

Having managed groups and people (and had a family), it works better to be strict at first and then soften things up as time and events allow. Doing the opposite (like MLB) doesn’t work very well.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-28-2020)

oh boy. [responding to ron's info about the yankees-phillies game being called off]

and are these games really canceled or postponed?

Turn Off Ads?