Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds should send down Stephenson and Antone

Reds should send down Stephenson and Antone

If I remember correctly, if the season gets cancelled for Covid, players on the active roster get credit for a full year of service. Tyler Stephenson and Antone look to be long term pieces for us. We can;t afford to lose a year of service.

I'd be thinking of sending them down ASAP before anything gets out of control.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

marcshoe (07-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds should send down Stephenson and Antone

The season isn't in trouble yet. It's just the Marlins (and a game against the Orioles). Something involving the Yankees or Dodgers will need to happen to put the season in peril.

5. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-28-2020)

I agree with Jax. This season could crumble as early as today IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The season isn't in trouble yet. It's just the Marlins (and a game against the Orioles). Something involving the Yankees or Dodgers will need to happen to put the season in peril.

The whole idea of the 60-man player pool is to allow for these outbreaks. That’s why the season shouldn’t be taken too seriously. Some teams will be playing with make shift rosters. I doubt they throw in the towel this soon.

As to the concern in this thread, full service time for cancellation was in the March agreement. I’m not sure of the current rule. There have been several rule clarifications and revisions. Generally service time is being pro-rated, but cancellation could be different.

But if this is a problem, it impacts Nick Senzel, Amir Garrett, Aquino, Mahle, virtually all young players with years of control remaining.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-27-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Except for Aquino, all those players were "supposed" to be on the club. Antone and Stephenson are up temporarily. I'd send them down ASAP. Let Farmer be the backup and bring up Blandino. And I'd bring up Kuhnel or DeLeon for Antone.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    well, the yankees game tonight is now postponed. this ain't good.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Service time manipulation sucks and we should not encourage or root for it.

11. Likes:

1990worldchamps (07-28-2020),adkindo (07-28-2020),Falls City Beer (07-28-2020),MrRedSkull (07-30-2020),New Fever (07-28-2020),REDREAD (07-28-2020),westofyou (07-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Normally I agree because a team should value putting the best team on the field over a player’s contract status.

But Jax has a point about this season likely to be meaningless so it really doesn’t matter if the Reds put the best players on the field this year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (07-28-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Normally I agree because a team should value putting the best team on the field over a player’s contract status.

But Jax has a point about this season likely to be meaningless so it really doesn’t matter if the Reds put the best players on the field this year.
    It's not meaningless.

15. Likes:

Roy Tucker (07-28-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Normally I agree, but I don’t want a valuable prospect like Stephenson to get a full year of service for being on the roster for a whole day or two, as it were proposed when this thread was originally made. At that point it’s more of a weird fluke than anything Stephenson has actually earned.

If Reds had sent out Stephenson and Antone to save service time, each would have missed last night. Both players took big steps in that game.

This year, with likely many absences, gives young guys a chance to play big league ball.

I’d rather see them get that opportunity. It’s one of the few benefits of this season. I’m less concerned about a year of service time.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-28-2020 at 11:35 AM.

18. Likes:

Chip R (07-28-2020),Falls City Beer (07-28-2020),Old school 1983 (07-28-2020),REDREAD (07-28-2020),Roy Tucker (07-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Reds had sent out Stephenson and Antone to save service time, each would have missed last night. Big steps for both players.

This year, with likely many absences, gives young guys a chance to play big league ball.

I’d rather see them get that opportunity. It’s one of the few benefits of this season. I’m less concerned about a year of service time.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Reds had sent out Stephenson and Antone to save service time, each would have missed last night. Both players took big steps in that game.

I agree Stephenson needs to be the everyday catcher see what he can do. He has skills in his game that barnhart could never dream of having.
    Crazy Reds Fan

Anotone might be the guy that helps salvage the Reds' bullpen this year.
    He sure looked good last night.
    I know, small sample size, but I liked what I saw. He's potentially one of the top 4 or 5 relievers on the roster right now.
    I will gladly eat a year of service time on that.

If Stephenson is not on the MLB team this year, he's just in camp, not seeing any live action and just getting a year older. I think that due to this weird season, keep him on the roster as the 3rd catcher and bat off the bench. Let him face MLB pitching. Who knows, maybe it frees up Barhhart or Casalli for a trade.

Looks like the Reds are going to need all the help they can get to make the playoffs this year. The two kids have had a good start. I would keep them on the roster all year if possible.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

22. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-28-2020)

Should we bring up Garcia then if Moose and Senzel are out indefinitely? Part of me says yes....part of me says no.

Turn Off Ads?