Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: Cubs @ Reds 7/28/2020 6:40 PM

Re: Cubs @ Reds 7/28/2020 6:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by wvreds View Post
    Right, but that’s all moot when here we are in a season where every game is “weighted” and he has given up moon shots in every single outing
    Sure but I'm just speaking the tendency to backfill Lorenzen clearly killing us right now with "he was actually always bad".
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's an interesting quote for many reasons...mostly that it's coming from Castellanos.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    That's an interesting quote for many reasons...mostly that it's coming from Castellanos.
    He was pissed about the MLB rule that won't let Moose and Senzel play until Thursday even though they have both tested negative for covid19

5. Likes:

NebraskaRed (07-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I'm guessing he wasn't supposed to say that...I hope he's right about Thursday but I have a feeling he isn't. MLB has held out Travis D'Arnaud and Tyler Flowers of the Brave for longer despite pretty much the same situation. Both had symptoms and both have tested negative. Both have yet to play this year.

7. Likes:

NebraskaRed (07-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    1-4 is not the end o the world, but you can see it from here.

I hope for better times soon. The Cubs are not that much better.
    Like losing 10 in a row during normal season.

9. Likes:

mth123 (07-29-2020),REDREAD (07-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Sure but I'm just speaking the tendency to backfill Lorenzen clearly killing us right now with "he was actually always bad".
    He was actually always bad, though.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He was actually always bad, though.
    He quite literally was not, though.

I've never even been a huge Lorenzen fan myself, until last year his lack of strikeouts very much concerned me, but he's yet to have a truly bad season as a reliever. Seems well on track to put an end to that this year though.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

Red Raindog (07-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He quite literally was not, though.

I've never even been a huge Lorenzen fan myself, until last year his lack of strikeouts very much concerned me, but he's yet to have a truly bad season as a reliever. Seems well on track to put an end to that this year though.
    Yeah, I know, but it just seems like every time I watch him he either blows up or squeaks by, Ive never been impressed with him.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

Red Raindog (07-29-2020)

I guess Castellanos just went ahead and gave the update on Senzel and Moose that Bell wasn't allowed to.

16. Likes:

DocRed (07-28-2020),REDREAD (07-29-2020),Reds (07-29-2020),Ron Madden (07-28-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds keep relying on relievers having numerous good years in a row. That almost never happens. You need to keep turning over your pen year after year.
    So, is the secret getting rid of relievers who have good years in favour of relievers who have bad seasons?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    So, is the secret getting rid of relievers who have good years in favour of relievers who have bad seasons?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lol. The secret is to keep getting new ones, ones the league hasn’t seen yet. But the Reds have had a problem developing them, which is the real problem.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Lol. The secret is to keep getting new ones, ones the league hasn’t seen yet. But the Reds have had a problem developing them, which is the real problem.
    Yea, but that's not a viable long term strategy.. I know other posters say this too.
    The idea that half the bullpen should be either kids, bounceback candidates, or relievers from AL and then
    cross your fingers because relievers are volatile.. that's leaving too much to chance.

Every team counts on the relievers that were good the previous year being good the next. Or they trade those guys coming off good years to another team that thinks they will have a good year.

It's hard to have a good bullpen, I give you that. The Reds should have brought in more depth in the offseason. However, it was reasonable to expect that Garret and Lorenzen would perform similar to the year before. I don't remember anyone calling to dump Lorenzen over the winter while his value was high or because he just came off a good year. Likewise, it was reasonable to expect that Inglesis was going to continue to be erratic at best and to have a better contingency plan in place.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?