Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Tyler Stephenson Thread

Re: The Tyler Stephenson Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Has his clock been started already this year?
    Yes. If you're called up, it automatically starts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I honestly don't get why the Reds are holding guy like this back. Bring him up and say goodbye to Kyle freaking Farmer. Casali moves to Farmer's role.

Bring up Garcia. Say goodbye to Colon. Galvis moves to the backup MI role.

Even if the Reds don't make the playoffs, they aren't going to blow this team up. Worst case is Castellanos walks. Might as well bring in the new regime and get them work. It's not like there's anyone blocking them of real long-term (or short-term, though Tucker's looked solid behind the plate) significance.

4. Likes:

DocRed (08-06-2020),REDREAD (08-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yes. If you're called up, it automatically starts.
    Ya, I was hoping there was some exception in this crazy year.

This year in particular they're being more "lenient" with handing out service time. It was a necessity for the start of negotiations between MLB and the MLBPA (and rightfully so). However there's still logic for teams to keep players on optional assignments for just barely long enough to maintain the rights to their contracts for an additional year.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 08-07-2020 at 01:48 AM.

His clock is off again now that he's no longer on the MLB roster. If he stays in Prasco, his service time accumulation will be negligible.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

DocRed (08-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    His clock is off again now that he's no longer on the MLB roster. If he stays in Prasco, his service time accumulation will be negligible.
    As long as the 2020 season doesn't get cancelled and the Reds keep offering Stephenson contracts, the soonest he can become a free agent is after the 2026 season. He has plenty of time to figure things out. They have a lot of money invested in him, so they're going to give him every chance they can.

10. Likes:

M2 (08-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    As long as the 2020 season doesn't get cancelled and the Reds keep offering Stephenson contracts, the soonest he can become a free agent is after the 2026 season. He has plenty of time to figure things out. They have a lot of money invested in him, so they're going to give him every chance they can.
    And it won't be a heavy lift to extend that control through 2027 if they choose to go that route. Mind you, the Reds have done just fine in extending catchers in recent times, so I wouldn't get particularly hung up on his service time. My assumption is if he's someone they want to keep around, they'll find a way to do that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-07-2020),REDREAD (08-07-2020)

Assuming he doesn't get much action for the Reds this season do you feel comfortable with him on the roster for 2021?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Assuming he doesn't get much action for the Reds this season do you feel comfortable with him on the roster for 2021?
    On the roster? Absolutely. He's already better than some backup catchers imo. The nice thing is that he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. I would absolutely feel comfortable with rostering him next year. However there's no need to rush it, and only Barnhart and Casali are in his way. It's better to see him earn it.

Turn Off Ads?