Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Can’t The Reds Develop Quality Relievers?

Re: Why Can’t The Reds Develop Quality Relievers?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    On the flip side, I have always wondered how San Diego always has such a great pen. It seems like every year they produce a number of great and successful relievers even after they move a few of them at the trade deadline. Even with turnover, the next year they have a bunch of great arms.
    Their park helps make some guys look better than they are.

(podgejeff_ said it better)
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It’s economics. Very expensive to sign MLB starters. Very costly to trade for MLB starters. So Reds have been heavily focused on drafting and developing MLB starting pitching. With limited success, yes, but that’s their priority.

Bullpen? Seems like a secondary priority. You can always sign a Jared Hughes, a David Hernandez, a Pedro Strop. Decent guys, inexpensive, maybe they have a good year or two.

Like anything else, if Reds prioritize finding, drafting, and developing relievers they will get a better yield. As you sow, so shall you reap.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-29-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    How quickly we forget Aroldis Chapman.

But yeah, Jim Bowden used to develop nasty bullpens and awful starters. Some teams develop major league relievers. The Reds try to develop major league starters, and the relievers are the ones who couldn’t be major league starters.
    Ehh, I don't really consider the Reds as developing Chapman. He was ready from day 1. He's awesome as a reliever, but he also could have been one of the best starters ever. Wish they would have given the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by adampad View Post
    Ehh, I don't really consider the Reds as developing Chapman. He was ready from day 1. He's awesome as a reliever, but he also could have been one of the best starters ever. Wish they would have given the chance.
    IMO the Reds would never have paid for Chapman or Iglesias as relievers. Circumstances put them in that role. Certainly true with Iglesias who began as a starter.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-29-2020 at 02:34 PM.

It's really early, but with the money they said they've spent overhauling development, all of the new hires from replacing Buckley to hiring Boddy/Zinter, and the somewhat different draft approach to the HS power bats and polished college pitchers, things seem to be changing.

I'm hoping this is the start of us becoming a developmental powerhouse like Tampa Bay or St. Louis.

Turn Off Ads?