3 4.23%
  • Cody Reed

5 7.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Which relievers do you trust?

Re: Which relievers do you trust?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I'd rather have Amir pitching against anyone, LHH or RHH, than anyone else in the bullpen, at least last night. And Ramirez hits better vs. RHP, Lindor it's pretty much a toss-up. If Bell didn't bring in Amir to start the 7th, fine, Stop was a decent option there. But why not the 8th? When you literally have one good bullpen piece, he's rested, and the game is on line, you friggin' use him when it matters, not once it's too late.
    You're basing that on last night's results, which were aided by a bad error and a unfortunate ground ball in no man's land. Strop's two performances prior were solid and the Reds should have gotten out of that unscathed.

Until last year, Lindor's splits were significantly better from the right side. Even when factoring in last year, his career numbers are still better from the right side.

In the 8th, he would have had to to face Reyes, who kills LHP. OPS is 150+ points higher against lefties. Yes, he still ended up hitting a HR, but it was 100% the right move statistically.

I like Garrett, but some of you are forgetting that Garrett had a brutal second half last year. The Reds have a ton of guys with flaws and nobody down there you can trust regularly. For that reason, playing the percentages and the hot arms makes the most sense.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-05-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

All I'm saying is, Bell is basically trying out guys for setup and possibly even closer duties. Why not try out Amir Garrett to be the man? Stop treating him like a loogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Nobody knows the outcome for sure. But when a reliever doesn’t pitch in a game for a week, there is a risk he will be rusty and not sharp.

It’s common sense, common experience. It’s the reason managers don’t like to let relievers sit for too long. Bell said it himself about Iglesias the other day.

It was a risk that Bell took with Strop. There may have been other factors that outweighed that risk. But the denial of that risk is unpersuasive.
    This actually should be verifiable with statistics. But saying you are right or wrong. Does anybody know a study about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

All I'm saying is, Bell is basically trying out guys for setup and possibly even closer duties. Why not try out Amir Garrett to be the man? Stop treating him like a loogy.
    It's 2020, the Loogy is dead. Long live the Loogy.

And am I the only that is nervous that he's either going to hit the right handed batter or throw the ball to the backstop every time Cody Reed pitches?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    It's 2020, the Loogy is dead. Long live the Loogy.
    Exactly. You can't not bring in Amir Garrett because Franmil Reyes is on deck.

8. Likes:

M2 (08-05-2020)

It very well may have been the plan to give him the save opportunity yesterday. It didn't pan out.

Like I said, it didn't make sense in the 7th and it made even less sense in the 8th. By the time it made sense, the lead was gone.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    It very well may have been the plan to give him the save opportunity yesterday. It didn't pan out.

Like I said, it didn't make sense in the 7th and it made even less sense in the 8th. By the time it made sense, the lead was gone.
    The first line makes sense. The second makes no sense at all.

The first line makes sense. The second makes no sense at all.
    Closing games is a whole different animal. Some guys thrive in the role, others fall apart (Garrett hasn't exactly lit it up when given the opportunity either, btw). I'm good with Bell giving Lorenzen, Garrett and Strop shots when Iglesias can't go, regardless of circumstances unless there's a specific batter vs. pitcher issue or something like that.

It's pretty simple: I'm fine with Bell playing the percentages. Reyes, the only guy due up that could really hurt you, pounds lefties. Garrett is a lefty with flaws. If he's going to hit a HR, make him do it against RHP. He did it, tip your cap.

Nobody in the bullpen is trustworthy and until one or more of them step up, Bell should use statistics all day long.

Edit: Let's be honest, if Bell puts Garrett in the game for the 8th inning and he gives up a bomb to Reyes, this board goes crazy because he let Reyes face a LHP.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; 08-05-2020 at 04:39 PM.

It’s the reason managers don’t like to let relievers sit for too long.
    Which is why they throw on the side. Unless you have specific knowledge Strop spent a week twiddling his thumbs, I'm going to assume the Reds had him throwing to keep him ready. The only reason why he wouldn't is if he was nursing some sort of injury.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-05-2020)

Would be nice to get Bob Steve back sooner than later, he'd probably have gotten the call last night instead of Sims in that situation.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

M2 (08-05-2020),Red Raindog (08-06-2020),Ron Madden (08-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Would be nice to get Bob Steve back sooner than later, he'd probably have gotten the call last night instead of Sims in that situation.
    Bob Steve, Kuhnel, De Leon and Mahle could all be helpful sooner rather than later. Hopefully the Reds are as panicked as RZ is about this, because this season could slip away with another 10 games filled with meltdowns.

18. Likes:

M2 (08-05-2020),Tom Servo (08-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Which is why they throw on the side. Unless you have specific knowledge Strop spent a week twiddling his thumbs, I'm going to assume the Reds had him throwing to keep him ready. The only reason why he wouldn't is if he was nursing some sort of injury.
    Throwing on the side is no substitute for game action. Just listen to David Bell’s post-game interview after the July 31 loss to Tigers. Near the end, 3:56 minutes in.

Reds used Iggy in a one-sided loss. Bell said they had decided to pitch him “no matter what the situation”. Said Iggy needed to pitch to keep sharp. Iggy had not pitched in a game since July 25, six days earlier.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-05-2020 at 08:03 PM.

Starting to wonder if signing the Nasty Boys would be an improvement.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Starting to wonder if signing the Nasty Boys would be an improvement.
    At their current age? Yeah, probably a skoche.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

22. Likes:

M2 (08-06-2020)

Throwing on the side is no substitute for game action. Just listen to David Bell’s post-game interview after the July 31 loss to Tigers. Near the end, 3:56 minutes in.

Reds used Iggy in a one-sided loss. Bell said they had decided to pitch him “no matter what the situation”. Said Iggy needed to pitch to keep sharp. Iggy had not pitched in a game since July 25, six days earlier.
    Strop's a veteran. As long as his arm's prepared he's not going to forget what game action is like.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?