• Brooks Raley

3 4.23%
  • Cody Reed

5 7.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which relievers do you trust?

Re: Which relievers do you trust?

With rare exception, any reliever I can trust should probably be a starter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Likes:

mth123 (07-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Garrett. But mostly to just have my back at a bar. And slam dunks.

5. Likes:

M2 (07-30-2020)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Going by the back of the baseball card: Lorenzen, Strop, Jones, and Raisel. If you think last year is their true skill level and are willing to disregard previous years, Garrett and Stephenson, too.

Raisel seems to come with the caveat that you can only put him in for Save situations (34 out of 37 last year, but an absolute trainwreck in other outings, including his only one this year). And Jones has spent three years continuing to be good at run prevention, but a look at his peripherals? Oy vey, how has he kept his ERA steady while his WHIP goes through the roof? [I'm too lazy, but: is the answer "inherited runners score then he gets out of the inning before he's credited with any runs of his own"?]

Things have been frustrating so far, and maybe in a short season we can't afford even a handful of hiccups, but there's nothing fundamentally flawed about a bullpen that has between 4-6 high leverage arms.

I am guessing the 3 people that selected Brooks Raley made their selection before the 7th inning tonight?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

8. Likes:

757690 (07-30-2020),CarolinaRedleg (07-31-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I am guessing the 3 people that selected Brooks Raley made their selection before the 7th inning tonight?
    Friends and Family for Brooks Raley.

It's a charitable organization.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The bullpen is even more of a mess than I thought, and I was an extreme skeptic. Once Disco is back, assuming the other starters are healthy, Mahle will be pushed to the pen. He will help tremendously, and should be used in critical situations. In a playoff hypothetical, a guy like Miley will be utilized in a similar role as a lefty version of Mahle. Sims is another guy who can swing between starter and reliever. I like Sims, especially if he has figured out how to keep the ball in the yard.

I have no faith whatsoever in Reed, Stephenson or Raley. They should be slop guys. I literally don't know who Nate Jones is.

My official selections were Garrett and Strop. I like them okay, but I don't think either are elite relievers. I do think we'll get something resembling stability from Lorenzen and Iglesias. You have to remember these guys came into a season cold and are now suddenly pitching in the Cincinnati heat.

I wonder where a reinforcement could come from. Is Santillan ready for the call? Lodolo? De Leon could be interesting in the bullpen. Kuhnel is a guy I was high on last year, what is his status? He could help. They could make a trade too, but the Reds need to fix this quickly and I don't see the trade market moving the needle too much.

Here’s how I’d organize this pen for now. It requires one trade.

1. Closer is Iglesias but don’t use him in ties. I don’t know why he can’t pitch in ties, but I’m sick of watching him try.

2. RH setup is Strop and Sims. Lorenzen had a knee problem earlier and isn’t right. Bob Steve is on IL. Sims has taken well to short relief, I’d give him the shot right now.

3. LH setup is Garrett and trade. Neither Reed nor Raley are prime time guys. I’d give Reed time if possible, he missed most of last year, but only low leverage. Surely they can find a veteran lefty reliever in a smaller trade.

4. Long men Antone and Mahle. When Disco returns both should be free for this duty. In this type of season having some length in the pen is good idea. Both young starters can provide length and can swing into emergency starts.

5. Middle innings. Lorenzen main guy for now. Then add in one or two guys from among Reed (if a lefty), Jones (if Reds still like him), Bob Steve (when healthy).
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-30-2020 at 09:34 AM.

My country for a David Weathers type.

That's the sad state right now. Weathers would be a vast improvement over almost all of them.

Good news is that they can't this bad....Right?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

13. Likes:

M2 (07-30-2020),Mitri (07-30-2020)

I would shed tears of joy for David Weathers. Maybe Mahle could be our version of Weathers?

With the new 3 man rule I am less worried about which arm they pitch with and more focused on if they can get both lefties and righties out generally well. I agree with kc that the Reds do need another lefty unless they decide to do something drastic like move Miley to the pen or bring up Lodolo. It's pretty grim outside of those 2 guys and Garrett..

15. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (07-31-2020),wheels (07-30-2020)

Clay Carroll.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

17. Likes:

Red Raindog (07-30-2020),RedForLife (07-30-2020)

I only voted for 4 - and I voted for Iglesias because I do trust him, if he is in the game with a lead. If the game is tied, no I do not trust him. I know that wasn't the question, but I'm going with how a manager with his head not up his xxx would use him.

Arthur Rhodes and his 40 consecutive appearances without giving up a run, but in reality I'd even take JJ Hoover right about now.

I think the wise Thom said it last night....but it is actually true; this team is not going anywhere unless Iglesias and Lorenzen get right.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by jhowdy54 View Post
    Arthur Rhodes and his 40 consecutive appearances without giving up a run, but in reality I'd even take JJ Hoover right about now.
    Let's not get crazy.

Hoover was like Lorenzen's first few appearances over an entire career, and I'm only being slightly hyperbolic for effect.

I have never seen anything like it.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

22. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-31-2020)

Lorenzen: Looks like Tarzan, pitches like Jane.

24. Likes:

wheels (07-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?