3 4.23%
  • Cody Reed

5 7.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which relievers do you trust?

Re: Which relievers do you trust?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    With rare exception, any reliever I can trust should probably be a starter.
    Greene, Lodolo, Mahle, Sims
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

2. Turn Off Ads?

to be honset none of them... i am willing to bet it is the worst bullpen in the majors.. i am a converted mets fan... it is all about pitching and we have some solid starters but they will need to pitch all 9 innings or our chance to win is not very good at all.. i was the guy that want bauer as a closer... we need that attitude in the bullpen with the useless gum chewers. he'd wake them up i bet

With a 2-5 record and only 53 games left and going 1-3 so far against the hopeless Tigers, Bell needs to play every game like it's part of a 7 game playoff series. If the Reds have a small lead and the starter needs to sit down, they should go with Sims, Strop, and Garrett. Give Sims 2 innings if he looks good. Throw Antone for a couple innings if Sims is unavailable. Defend that lead as best you can. Don't give Lorenzen and Iglesias a chance to work out their struggles in games when they have a small lead to protect. Those two will get better but don't let them risk a lead right now.

In the interest of fairness, Iglesias defenders may be feeling justified after the past couple of days.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-04-2020),Coopdaddy67 (08-04-2020),DocRed (08-04-2020),Edd Roush (08-04-2020),Rojo Rijo (08-04-2020)

Guessing Strop is up today...seems like he hasn't pitched for a week. AG too

Interested to see if Iglesias de-emphasizes the fastball this year. Wouldn’t be surprised if Reds pitching coaches have him spin the ball more. And maybe use the change more. His fastball value declined last two seasons.

So far, very small sample, Fangraphs indicates small decline in fastball use by Iggy.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-04-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Interested to see if Iglesias de-emphasizes the fastball this year. Wouldn’t be surprised if Reds pitching coaches have him spin the ball more. And maybe use the change more. His fastball value declined last two seasons.

So far, very small sample, Fangraphs indicates small decline in fastball use by Iggy.
    I know the pitch values indicate a problem with his fastball, but his splits indicate a problem with LHBs. That probably means his slider's not fooling them and they can sit on heater.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Guessing Strop is up today...seems like he hasn't pitched for a week. AG too
    AG's problem is that everyone but Zimmer in the starting line-up hit lefties well. I think I go Mahle for five innings, then go to Strop. Strop hasn't gone more than inning since last April. Not sure if he can go for a second, but I think it should be considered if he rolls through the sixth.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    AG's problem is that everyone but Zimmer in the starting line-up hit lefties well. I think I go Mahle for five innings, then go to Strop. Strop hasn't gone more than inning since last April. Not sure if he can go for a second, but I think it should be considered if he rolls through the sixth.
    I think we will see Antone after Mahle and then Strop or AG.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I think we will see Antone after Mahle and then Strop or AG.
    Antone hasn't pitched since July 27. Strop hasn't pitched since July 28, nor has Garrett.

All of them, IMO, need work.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Antone hasn't pitched since July 27. Strop hasn't pitched since July 28, nor has Garrett.

All of them, IMO, need work.
    I mean there is a chance that Bieber shuts down the Reds' offense to the point where we can "just get guys work." However, if the Reds scratch a couple runs out and have kept it close or take the lead, I think they should stick with their best pitchers to do really try to maximize the chances of winning today. I would love to see Strop face 1 - 4 that third time through, and then maybe you can go Sims or Antone until you get to Lindor again. Not sure if Jones can go two days in a row, but he looked lights out vs. them yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I mean there is a chance that Bieber shuts down the Reds' offense to the point where we can "just get guys work." However, if the Reds scratch a couple runs out and have kept it close or take the lead, I think they should stick with their best pitchers to do really try to maximize the chances of winning today. I would love to see Strop face 1 - 4 that third time through, and then maybe you can go Sims or Antone until you get to Lindor again. Not sure if Jones can go two days in a row, but he looked lights out vs. them yesterday.
    I really like what Antone showed in his last/ first game. He was dominant in the spring and summer camps as well. He offers a different look than Mahle too.

I'd go with a short hook for Mahle (two times through the order, max), then Antone one time through.

If it's not a perfect game, I'd then go Garrett for an inning and Strop to close.

How about Greene, to close?

Which relievers do you trust?

Na
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 08-04-2020 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

17. Likes:

marcshoe (08-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Na
    I think he should resign. Or re-sign.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?