• Brooks Raley

3 4.23%
  • Cody Reed

5 7.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which relievers do you trust?

Re: Which relievers do you trust?

I wonder if they're saving Antone for a spot start? Otherwise Bauer will have to go on short rest.

2. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-04-2020),Old school 1983 (08-05-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I wonder if they're saving Antone for a spot start? Otherwise Bauer will have to go on short rest.
    That would make sense. I don’t doubt Bauer could go on short rest but he admitted he was gassed from the Saturday rainout followed by his Sunday start.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

After the bullpen costing this team multiple games, something has to be done. It is not okay to accept mediocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaReds View Post
    After the bullpen costing this team multiple games, something has to be done. It is not okay to accept mediocracy.
    The first thing I'd do is remove at least one bullpen arm from the equation when the rosters shrink.

At the end of the day, we know that Garrett, Strop, Lorenzen and Iglesias are the guys who are supposed to be the answers down there. Can't allow any of them to go a week without game action.

You called it, he’s starting tomorrow

C. トレント・ローズクランズ
    @ctrent
    Antone-Castillo-Bauer-DeSclafani-Gray is the #Reds upcoming pitching rotation

9. Likes:

Mitri (08-04-2020)

Pedro Strop and Nate Jones enter the Suspect Zone.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

Mitri (08-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Didn’t jones get us out of a jam recently? Strop walked people but he was also done in by his defense.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I remember feeling good about our chances when he came into a game as a Cub, he got us sometimes but he also had such control problems you always had a fighting chance. I admit I don’t know much about Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Didn’t jones get us out of a jam recently? Strop walked people but he was also done in by his defense.
    To the naked eye they are both suspect.

I just want to know why Bell didn't bring in Amir in the 7th, with an eye on him getting some outs in the 8th as well.

Jones and Strop just have to throw strikes but that's easier said than done. Both can be good but Strop looks like he's lost a bit of stuff as well as lacking command. I have more faith in Jones but his herky jerky mechanics make me wonder if he can ever gain command of his stuff. That motion of his is hard on hitters, disrupts but itis also hard on repeatabilty.

Lorenzen is on track to get back in form and so is Iggy. Both have looked better their last couple outings. Garrett looked good tonight. Sims has talent - he just needs better command. Common theme for the pen. Guys that throw really hard are great IF they throw strikes.

Defense is killing the pen, too, not just walks and wild pitches but sloppy fielding. That's hard on pitchers. I almost see the sense in defensive replacents late for Winker, Cast, Moose but it eviscerates the offense. Galvis is better with the glove than he's shown. Watching games highlights on youtube its not just the Reds that have some kinks, almost every game I've watched has unusual errors and guys that look lost still at the plate. Strange season already and the short stretch that we thought would be a boon is maybe a drawback instead. It's going to be a weird season because its so short - there is no time to work through it. Dropping 1 arm from the pen when the rosters shrink I actually think would help. Bell has too many guy to give work to as it stands. With out starters there is really only the need to finish 3, sometimes only 2 innings. Bell is spreading the opportunites too thin and guy lose their edge not getting in games. I think we're seeing the disadvantage of a large relief contingent wth the three batter rule - too few opportunities.

The Reds need more 7 inning DHs.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 08-05-2020 at 01:50 AM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

17. Likes:

EnglishRed (08-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Galvis, even though it was a difficult take should be making that play 99% of the time. We seem to be having quite a few fielding errors at the moment and it's something to work on. Mahle, even though in my inexperience I felt he was done for the night, should have kept going one more inning. Must be frustrating for him to see the team piss all his hard work up the wall. Offence doesn't get a free pass either. Two runs is rarely enough to win a ballgame, even if they are facing a pitcher in real form. Bit easy to blame the relievers (they deserve some) when the rest of the team also let themselves down a bit.

I think 5 of our 7 losses have been attached to a bullpen pitcher.....have to assume that is a much higher than normal ratio.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

With expanded rosters this year, Reds must be careful to get enough work for guys.

Several times so far guys have pitched with a lot of rest. Iggy one day. Strop yesterday.

Guys need to be sharp, it’s a balance. Strop was hurt by an error, but his control was off. Needs to pitch more regularly if he’s to be effective.

21. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-05-2020),Coopdaddy67 (08-05-2020),Edd Roush (08-05-2020),Old school 1983 (08-05-2020),Rantly (08-05-2020)

I just want to know why Bell didn't bring in Amir in the 7th, with an eye on him getting some outs in the 8th as well.
    You mean after Strop? They weren't going to bring in Garrett to face Ramirez and potentially Lindor right-handed. In the 8th, Bell certainly didn't want Reyes facing a LHP either.

The biggest problem yesterday was a bad error, an unfortunate swinging bunt that was perfectly placed and the fact that Strop hadn't pitched for a week. You can't have guys in the bullpen who you're counting on go that long without game action.

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-05-2020)

Turn Off Ads?