Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-Out Astros Attack

Re: All-Out Astros Attack

I don’t understand the dichotomy of the umps didn’t throw Kelly out of the game yet Manfred suspends him 8 games.

Manfred is trying to now make a strong stand but it’s way too late for that. I think he looks foolish.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

64red (07-31-2020),Always Red (07-31-2020),M2 (07-30-2020),paintmered (07-30-2020),RFS62 (07-31-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think he looks foolish.
    Haven't you figured it out by now? That's Manfred's secret. He always looks foolish.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

5. Likes:

RedsBaron (07-31-2020)

I don’t have any answers. I agree that you don’t throw at anyone’s head or other body parts. But I know I was outraged by Manfred’s relatively slap on the wrist punishment to the Astros. And I’m just a fan. I shake my fist in the air but then go get a beer from the fridge and change channels to MASH reruns (no, not really).

I think the players and managers and teams are beyond outraged by Manfred’s decision and now handling of this. And I think he made a poor decision and now is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He made the mess. He has to clean it up but he’s making an even bigger mess.

7. Likes:

DocRed (07-30-2020),paintmered (07-30-2020),RedsBaron (07-31-2020)

I don’t have any answers. I agree that you don’t throw at anyone’s head or other body parts. But I know I was outraged by Manfred’s relatively slap on the wrist punishment to the Astros. And I’m just a fan. I shake my fist in the air but then go get a beer from the fridge and change channels to MASH reruns (no, not really).

I think the players and managers and teams are beyond outraged by Manfred’s decision and now handling of this. And I think he made a poor decision and now is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He made the mess. He has to clean it up but he’s making an even bigger mess.
    I think a lot of people overlook the fact that the Astros' players got immunity for the information they provided about the cheating. It may well have been a situation where they couldn't go after the bigwigs unless they gave the players immunity to speak freely.

It's not ideal, but it happens in court all the time. If this was instigated and largely executed by managers and coaches, then I don't know that it was a bad decision to make sure they were the ones MLB could punish.

None of this changes the fact that Manfred is an overwhelming moron.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

9. Likes:

757690 (07-30-2020),M2 (07-30-2020),Revering4Blue (07-31-2020),RFS62 (07-31-2020),Roy Tucker (07-30-2020)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    He was also on the Red Sox team that cheated their way to a win in 2018, resulting in suspensions to staff and immunity for players, just like the Astros. So. there's that.
    Good catch!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Ray Chapman Was killed. Tony Conigliaro lost an eye. I'm sure others have had careers altered.

Would it be OK if some one threw a ball at some one's head at that speed outside of a baseball game setting? If not, it's not OK inside a baseball game setting either.
    Brandon McCarthy had that pretty serious skull injury from being hit in the head by a ball

I think a lot of people overlook the fact that the Astros' players got immunity for the information they provided about the cheating. It may well have been a situation where they couldn't go after the bigwigs unless they gave the players immunity to speak freely.

It's not ideal, but it happens in court all the time. If this was instigated and largely executed by managers and coaches, then I don't know that it was a bad decision to make sure they were the ones MLB could punish.

None of this changes the fact that Manfred is an overwhelming moron.
    That’s a kind look at it and I mean that sincerely. I’m more of a hardass and I think the Astros that turned states evidence should be glad they were able to not get suspended for big blocks of games if not a season and be able to play out their big buck contracts.

The Astros didn’t do a Gaylord Perry slippery elm spitball kind of transgression. It was a deep seated, systematic, well conceived and well thought out, analytic, deliberate, blatant, and team-wide breaking of very fundamental baseball rules. Organization wide. The Astros are the biggest cheaters in the history of baseball. I thought they deserved vacating their WS championship and suspended the team for a year. At least.

“They are hypocrites, they are cheaters, they’ve stolen from a lot of other people and the game itself was completely unfair,” Reds Pitcher, Trevor Bauer said. “You guys think you are better than everyone and you don’t have to abide by the rules? **** you.”

Couldn’t have said it any better. I thought they need taught a very direct lesson.

</old guy ends shaking his fist at the sky>

13. Likes:

RedsBaron (07-31-2020),savafan (07-30-2020)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think Kelly got off easy. In addition to this being near the head, this isn't Kelly's first suspension. https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/04/...l-fenway-park/
    Stick to your guns.

15. Likes:

mth123 (07-31-2020)

I certainly agree that the Astro players got off with a hand slap. But I do not agree with any pitcher "targeting" them simply because they're pee'd off about it, and that justice wasn't served. We're talking about throwing a baseball 100MPH at someone's head, and possibly seriously injuring someone. If that were to occur, how could any pitcher feel right about that, or say "They got what they deserved!" while they're laying a crumbled mess in the batter's box? IMO, it's a cowardly act regardless of who the recipient is. JMO.

Is it OK then for that player, or some other player, to then relataliate and run out to the mound with a bat?

If you're that upset about it, then meet them at their favorite watering hole and settle it like men! LOL

PLAY BALL!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

17. Likes:

mth123 (07-31-2020),Revering4Blue (07-31-2020),Roy Tucker (08-01-2020)

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/07/31...want-us-to-do/

Astros owner Jim Crane sat for an interview with Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Most of the talk was about the Astros sign-stealing scandal and its fallout. It also touched on the Brandon Taubman incident and the team’s acquisition of reliever Roberto Osuna, both of which created tremendous controversy of their own.

Crane’s take on most of it seems to be that he and the Astros are the real victims here, and everyone else should leave them alone already. Really. That’s the vibe he gives off on all of this.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

That’s a kind look at it and I mean that sincerely. I’m more of a hardass and I think the Astros that turned states evidence should be glad they were able to not get suspended for big blocks of games if not a season and be able to play out their big buck contracts.

The Astros didn’t do a Gaylord Perry slippery elm spitball kind of transgression. It was a deep seated, systematic, well conceived and well thought out, analytic, deliberate, blatant, and team-wide breaking of very fundamental baseball rules. Organization wide. The Astros are the biggest cheaters in the history of baseball. I thought they deserved vacating their WS championship and suspended the team for a year. At least.

“They are hypocrites, they are cheaters, they’ve stolen from a lot of other people and the game itself was completely unfair,” Reds Pitcher, Trevor Bauer said. “You guys think you are better than everyone and you don’t have to abide by the rules? **** you.”

Couldn’t have said it any better. I thought they need taught a very direct lesson.

</old guy ends shaking his fist at the sky>
    I hear you and I'm not saying I disagree. Like GAC, I'm just saying there's no connection between the Astros getting a light punishment and a player--an unrelated player in this case, but any player--deciding to scare injury into a player while putting his team in the hole to boot.

You lose the game and land somebody in the hospital, that's "punishment"? That's toddler logic.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

20. Likes:

mth123 (07-31-2020),Revering4Blue (08-03-2020),RFS62 (07-31-2020),Roy Tucker (07-31-2020)

How about this as a modest proposal:
    Pitchers can throw at Astros hitters but only if they signal them first.

22. Likes:

Boston Red (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    How about this as a modest proposal:
    I would approve that swiftly.

24. Likes:

klw (07-31-2020)

I hear you and I'm not saying I disagree. Like GAC, I'm just saying there's no connection between the Astros getting a light punishment and a player--an unrelated player in this case, but any player--deciding to scare injury into a player while putting his team in the hole to boot.

You lose the game and land somebody in the hospital, that's "punishment"? That's toddler logic.
    I get it and I know. At the end of the day, you can’t allow teams to throw at the Astros all season. It’s just not acceptable. Entirely too much risk and danger. It can’t be allowed.

There is the issue of how Manfred handled the situation. I disagree with it, but that ship has sailed and there is no reversing the call. The realities are what they are now. Punishments have been handed down and meted out, the commish has said what’s done is done and let’s move on. Sometimes life just sucks and you have to accept it and move on. However, MLB players are not know for their strong emotional maturity so this process may have its ups and downs and bumps in the road Before coming to a conclusion. I just don’t think the Astros are going to be a very well liked team for a while.

26. Likes:

M2 (07-31-2020)

I get it and I know. At the end of the day, you can’t allow teams to throw at the Astros all season. It’s just not acceptable. Entirely too much risk and danger. It can’t be allowed.

There is the issue of how Manfred handled the situation. I disagree with it, but that ship has sailed and there is no reversing the call. The realities are what they are now. Punishments have been handed down and meted out, the commish has said what’s done is done and let’s move on. Sometimes life just sucks and you have to accept it and move on. However, MLB players are not know for their strong emotional maturity so this process may have its ups and downs and bumps in the road Before coming to a conclusion. I just don’t think the Astros are going to be a very well liked team for a while.
    They can't allow it, but they also can't stop it. That's sort of the bind they're in. Opposing players are going to seek to dish out the punishment they feel MLB should have levied. The Astros have only begun getting beaned.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?