Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals-Brewers game postponed due to Cardinals' players testing positive

Cardinals-Brewers game postponed due to Cardinals' players testing positive

thought this deserved its own thread. it's "only" two players from the cardinals who have tested positive so far, but this is still obviously very bad news. each day i change my mind in regard to whether MLB will be able to finish this season. i'm back to being pessimistic.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ue-coronavirus

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cardinals-Brewers game postponed due to Cardinals' players testing positive

IF this season doesn't get shut down I think it's highly likely that it's not going to be 60 games for all teams. They may need to shorten it to 40-50 games in order for all these delays to take effect.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-31-2020)

easy to say this now, but MLB should have used the "bubble" (or bubbles, plural) plan that we are seeing in NBA, NHL and MLS.

6. Likes:

bm1475 (07-31-2020),DocRed (07-31-2020),KYExtemper (08-01-2020),ochoa30 (07-31-2020)

also, why is MLB postponing a game when only two players have tested positive? they let the reds play when they thought they had three players who tested positive?

there's just no rhyme and reason here. i thought the point of the 60 player pool was that if a couple guys tested positive for covid, they could call two other guys up. not ideal, but better than postponing games.

just unsure what MLB's protocol is now. if one guy gets it, are they going to postpone a game? does it have to be two or more?

I'm doing my best to enjoy each and every game. I know it could all end anytime.

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-01-2020),DocRed (07-31-2020),dubc47834 (07-31-2020),Edd Roush (07-31-2020),Larkin Fan (07-31-2020),M2 (07-31-2020),Mitri (07-31-2020),ochoa30 (07-31-2020),RiverRat13 (07-31-2020),Roy Tucker (07-31-2020),StRedlegs900 (07-31-2020),wolfboy (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    also, why is MLB postponing a game when only two players have tested positive? they let the reds play when they thought they had three players who tested positive?

there's just no rhyme and reason here. i thought the point of the 60 player pool was that if a couple guys tested positive for covid, they could call two other guys up. not ideal, but better than postponing games.

just unsure what MLB's protocol is now. if one guy gets it, are they going to postpone a game? does it have to be two or more?
    They've never had a protocol, they've just been crossing their fingers and wishing.

11. Likes:

757690 (07-31-2020),bm1475 (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    They've never had a protocol, they've just been crossing their fingers and wishing.
    that ... that does not sound like a good approach.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    easy to say this now, but MLB should have used the "bubble" (or bubbles, plural) plan that we are seeing in NBA, NHL and MLS.
    MLBPA rejecting the bubble proposal will likely end this season ironically.

14. Likes:

KYExtemper (08-01-2020),Spanky (07-31-2020),thatcoolguy_22 (08-02-2020),Tony Cloninger (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    I'm doing my best to enjoy each and every game. I know it could all end anytime.
    with our luck, the reds will win like 10 straight games ... then the season will get called off.

from Mark Saxon Twitter

Source informed me of the names of the two #Cardinals positives. The Athletic has a policy of not outing positive cases without their approval, so I will honor those players’ privacy. We feel comfortable sharing this: both are pitchers.
    My guess one was the Cards starting pitcher for tonight, which is why the game was cancelled and rescheduled as part of a double header on Sunday.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    MLBPA rejecting the bubble proposal will likely end this season ironically.
    would love to hear their rationale now for rejecting the bubble. especially since we see it working in other sports.

Isn’t MLB placing Covid Monitors with each team to make sure they are following protocol? A bunch of Fred Garvin’s running around trying to stop grown man babies from being sensible in their behaviors.

Joe Sheehan
    @joe_sheehan

Seeing a lot of talk of bubbles. Let’s acknowledge that the successful-to-date bubbles involved leaving some teams home and skipping most or all of the remaining season to advance to the playoffs. An MLB bubble never had those options.
    Plus once a team is done they leave the bubble

Plus the rosters in MLB are much larger than those other sports

Plus MLB has day to day action whereas the other sports spread it out more

Plus the bubble option floated was Arizona (Too hot) Florida (Yeah bad choice today)

Takeaway, NFL rosters are problematic by size alone, however one game a week helps temper outbreaks... that said the touching aspect of the game is a big what-if

This sucks

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-31-2020),BoxingRed (08-02-2020),JFLegal (07-31-2020),Revering4Blue (07-31-2020),thatcoolguy_22 (08-02-2020)

MLBPA definitely deserves the bulk of the blame, but Manfred could have insisted on the bubble. They were negotiating on the best way to do this, getting the players to agree on this just would have meant the owners giving something else up in the negotiations. The owners aren’t blame free on this.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

The NBA bubble is in Florida. Not a bad choice today.

23. Likes:

DocRed (07-31-2020),Spanky (07-31-2020)

Turn Off Ads?