Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals-Brewers game postponed due to Cardinals' players testing positive

Re: Cardinals-Brewers game postponed due to Cardinals' players testing positive

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    Arizona was an initial bubble proposal because of all the facilities and infrastructure to accommodate all teams. But its July and its crazy hot in the Phoenix area. Plus its a hot spot for Covid so its good the bubble is not here in Phoenix. Much the same for Florida. I give MLB and the players a pass on the bubble idea as it was too hard to predict the best place(s).
    If it's truly a bubble I don't think it matters that much where it's located, but the union was never going to accept being quarantined for potentially that much time. When they were talking about doing the Cactus/Grapefruit split rather than divisions, they were talking about possibly playing three games per day at Chase Field, but that leaves two more games that would have to be outdoors and it was 117 degrees when I looked yesterday afternoon. Plus I don't know if they wanted that many weekday afternoon games for TV purposes (the scheduling post-restart has been awful, it would have been great to have more afternoon games for the work from home crowd, but all night games, all the time has been the rule of the day).

2. Likes:

DocRed (07-31-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And yet there have been zero positive tests in the NBA. That's why it's a bubble. It doesn't matter where the bubble is located as long as it is done correctly.

5. Likes:

DocRed (07-31-2020),JFLegal (07-31-2020),Revering4Blue (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    And yet there have been zero positive tests in the NBA. That's why it's a bubble. It doesn't matter where the bubble is located as long as it is done correctly.
    BIO DOME!!

7. Likes:

Chip R (07-31-2020),DocRed (07-31-2020),NebraskaRed (07-31-2020),Revering4Blue (07-31-2020),StRedlegs900 (07-31-2020)

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I don't know about that. Sure, every player wouldn't sit at home all day. But there wouldn't be 30 teams traveling around, cramped in a clubhouse, staying in hotels on the road with 50 other players, coaches, and staff. And then taking all that exposure back into their homes. I'm not suggesting the season should be shut down at this point, but I think it's hard to argue there's less risk by playing this season.
    But they are also doing that under VERY strict protocols. Not commercial flights, constant testing, major precautions at work, etc. If they all split and go separate ways, those guys then head for commercial flights and back to “normal” life. And “normal” life for a good number of these players I can guarantee you carries more risk taking than perhaps other segments of the population. So right now, their movements are being very closely monitored, tracked, and tested. Once they split, it’s every man for himself. If players were willing to hit the strip club on the road WITH these measures in place it doesn’t take a major stretch to think they could be even more willing to do those things without work oversight/ramifications.

I’m not really arguing playing is MORE safe; just that it’s probably about the same.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-31-2020)

BIO DOME!!

But that would mean living with Pauley Shore and Stephen Baldwin, which would negate any benefits

Attachment 16329
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

camisadelgolf (07-31-2020),M2 (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    But that would mean living with Pauley Shore and Stephen Baldwin, which would negate any benefits

Attachment 16329
    I see that and raise you Kylie Minogue

Name:  1923.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  111.5 KB
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

13. Likes:

camisadelgolf (07-31-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

A baseball bubble is so much more difficult than a hockey or NBA bubble.

First, the ice and the court don't get destroyed by playing on it like a field does. Unless you have multiple artificial turf fields you're going to be playing on dirt before long at every position. Nowhere really have that situation available.

When MLB went against the bubble idea it was April. The players weren't going to go for a bubble for 6 months. That's very different than the NHL/NBA bubble of a few weeks if you are eliminated, or 2 months if you're playing for a title.

Baseball simply has things working against a bubble plan that the other two sports doing a bubble plan don't.

If you all think MLB is a train wreck, just wait for the NFL, my prediction is that MLB is to train wreck as NFL is to nuclear explosion.

16. Likes:

757690 (07-31-2020),BoxingRed (08-02-2020),Griffey012 (07-31-2020),KYExtemper (08-01-2020),M2 (07-31-2020),Revering4Blue (07-31-2020),Roy Tucker (07-31-2020)

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    If you all think MLB is a train wreck, just wait for the NFL, my prediction is that MLB is to train wreck as NFL is to nuclear explosion.
    Depends on what role travel plays in the transmission. NFL is doing daily testing and the players will only make 8 trips for the whole season with one hotel night per trip; I also imagine teams might be allowed this year to do some same-day travel for super short trips like Philly to DC etc. Now, roster size and the number of people is way bigger in NFL, but they also break the team up into position groups a lot more- sidelines are huge, etc. So I’m not sure football will THAT much more of a risk than baseball. Again, depends on what matters more, and I’m certainly not an expert on that.

18. Likes:

CrackerJack (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Depends on what role travel plays in the transmission. NFL is doing daily testing and the players will only make 8 trips for the whole season with one hotel night per trip; I also imagine teams might be allowed this year to do some same-day travel for super short trips like Philly to DC etc. Now, roster size and the number of people is way bigger in NFL, but they also break the team up into position groups a lot more- sidelines are huge, etc. So I’m not sure football will THAT much more of a risk than baseball. Again, depends on what matters more, and I’m certainly not an expert on that.
    Travel and game limitation help.

The huge rosters, touching, grabbing, sweat, spit, vomit, blood, weight rooms, whirlpools, trainers rooms...say watch out.

The trainers will be wearing hazmat suits

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-31-2020)

Enjoy the games this weekend as Manfred is threatening to shut down the season as early as next week if this continues

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ng-coronavirus

Why we can't have nice things

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ng-coronavirus

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred told MLB Players Association executive director Tony Clark on Friday that if the sport doesn't do a better job of managing the coronavirus, it could shut down for the season, sources familiar with the conversation told ESPN.

Maybe they should just adopt the MLB The Show 20 Conquest Map model with 3 inning games and elimination
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Maybe they should just adopt the MLB The Show 20 Conquest Map model with 3 inning games and elimination
    Don't they have a single pitch mode, too? Could go with that.

Worth The Wait

Travel and game limitation help.

The huge rosters, touching, grabbing, sweat, spit, vomit, blood, weight rooms, whirlpools, trainers rooms...say watch out.

The trainers will be wearing hazmat suits
    I’d also say the fact that they are going to have about 6 weeks between the arrival at camp and the first games helps as well. Each team will have a lot of time to work on their protocols and how they handle positives. If they can make it through camp without any major calamities then things won’t change THAT much once the games start. Teams all stay where they are already, only play one game per week and travel if far less than MLB. Also less idle time. Lots of hanging out in baseball— each road trip represents a lot of time to kill on the road. NFL road trips are all business, in and out. Even in a normal year any time away from the hotel is discouraged.

One thing I think the NFL should consider is revamping the schedule. Maybe too late for that, but I’d do something similar to what MLB has done. I’d even consider a one-year total geographic division relocation. Try to keep each team in its own “bubble” as much as possible and ONLY venture outside of your bubble for those 8 road games.

Turn Off Ads?