Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals-Brewers game postponed due to Cardinals' players testing positive

Re: Cardinals-Brewers game postponed due to Cardinals' players testing positive

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    would love to hear their rationale now for rejecting the bubble. especially since we see it working in other sports.
    I’d love to hear how an MLB bubble would possibly work. It’s probably been addressed but I haven’t read that far yet.

Nvm. It hasn’t been addressed. The bubble works for the NBA because it’s at Disney. Which is as close as you can get to a real bubble. A bubble inside of an open city doesn’t really work.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 07-31-2020 at 09:10 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Worth The Wait

No way a true “bubble” would have worked in MLB. It’s a non-starter. The NBA Orlando set up is a legit bubble—no one in, no one out, massive ramifications for a breach, and all activities self contained inside bubble. There is no realistic way to do that in baseball. You’d basically have to create entire cities walled off from the rest of the world with a bunch of MLB ready facilities/fields inside. Not happening.

I think what MLB COULD have done was deploy a partial bubble (which wouldn’t be a bubble at all, so let’s call it an Umbrella instead.

Every team already has a ST facility that is worthy of MLB. It’s also split evenly between AZ and FL. Yes, both hotspots but that’s where the umbrella comes into play. Each team strongly encourages players to only travel between work and home. They aren’t stuck in hotel rooms because they can stay at their Airbnb’s or condos or whatever that they’d normally stay in for ST. So it’s a more home-like setting where they have their own kitchens, etc. Set rules like take out dining only, no nightclubs, etc. Impose fines or suspension for violations. Of course this relies on personal responsibility, but that’s going to be the case anyway. As far as games go, the teams closest to you are the ones you play the most. For a lot of games both teams could just drive in and drive home. Buses for longer trips. Might have to set up at a hotel for certain series where the travel is too long to drive back and forth. Basically eliminates air travel, never cross a state line, and by having most players sleep “at home” most nights probably helps resist the temptation to get out and about.

Now, that’s a lot to ask to be away from their real homes for three+ months but a lot of guys don’t raise permanently in their home city anyway. I also think it would be fine for family to stay with the players; remember it’s an umbrella, not a bubble. In other words, there was probably a middle ground here that could have been explored.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I’d love to hear how an MLB bubble would possibly work. It’s probably been addressed but I haven’t read that far yet.

Nvm. It hasn’t been addressed. The bubble works for the NBA because it’s at Disney. Which is as close as you can get to a real bubble. A bubble inside of an open city doesn’t really work.
    cool, then have "baseball island" like the UFC.

Haunted by walks

Baseball needs a guy named The Turk to check curfew every night.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Fight Island was not just some island only for UFC. It was a cool, catchy name - but Fight Island was on Yas Island, which has three - yes, THREE different amusement parks, an airport, seven hotels, a golf course, and an arena. Not exactly a bubble.

Four new Cards have tested positive, three staff, one player. Today’s game has been postponed.

From Rosenthal Twitter:

Source confirms: Brewers-Cardinals postponed, as @JonHeyman said.
    Between four and six additional Cardinals have tested positive, a source tells The Athletic. Another postponement tonight would appear likely. On it: @CraigMish.
    From Mark Saxon Twitter:

Of the four new positives on the #Cardinals that I can confirm, three are staff. One is a player.
    Last edited by 757690; 08-01-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Rob Manfred reportedly told networks to have alternate programming available this week in case they have to postpone/cancel the season - first reported by Keith Olbermann..... so, hold onto your butts.

Is the UFC having 15 3-Hour long fights every day? With roughly 1000 fighters involved?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Stupid Cardinals!!!

the only good news about the reds crapping the bed to start this "season" is i won't be upset at all when it is canceled. now, if they were sitting here at 5-2 and it got canceled, i would think a great opportunity was ripped away from us. but this unmotivated team isn't going anywhere. so, put us all out of our misery and just cancel the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Is the UFC having 15 3-Hour long fights every day? With roughly 1000 fighters involved?
    i was being sarcastic about "baseball island."

the only good news about the reds crapping the bed to start this "season" is i won't be upset at all when it is canceled. now, if they were sitting here at 5-2 and it got canceled, i would think a great opportunity was ripped away from us. but this unmotivated team isn't going anywhere. so, put us all out of our misery and just cancel the season.
    Was just thinking the same thing, crazy to think that the Reds just might be worse than last season. Shows how overrated the acquisitions were. So yes I wouldn’t mind the season being cancelled because this was another 0 season for Cincinnati

of the new positive tests for the cardinals, only one is a player and three are support staff members? these support staff members need to do a better job of staying home and following protocols.

It will be interesting to read where this all went wrong - did a few of the players just fail to social distance per the protocols? Was there a gap in the testing? Was it player's family and friends who gave it to them?

The MLBPA did not want the bubble or strict distancing guidelines including not showering in groups. Don’t even go there.
    And they still don’t wear the masks as much as they should and forget about distancing outside. I am glad Manfred called them out.

17. Likes:

DocRed (08-01-2020),KYExtemper (08-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?