Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

I agree he should resign, but it has little to do with the Reds start this year.

Remember last year was supposed to be the payoff year for all the tanking too.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The bullpen is definitively awful and putting Iglesias in a key position in it is absolutely a major blunder on Williams part. He has to start getting results, it’s been quite long enough, and the team looks like complete ass yet again, just absolutely falling on their face in humiliating fashion for the - what, 7th year in a row?

4. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-01-2020),RedTeamGo! (07-31-2020)

Thing about the pen is that it was predictable. Too many bounce back situations, Iglesias in particular. I understand the economics, they spent on other things, but nobody should be too surprised at the result so far.

The spotty offense, that’s a surprise, but offenses do get off slowly sometimes.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-31-2020 at 10:27 PM.

There's a reason baseball plays so many games, it's a sport with tons of variables. Let it happen, let the damn game happen, let the season evolve as much as it can. Enjoy it before you let it ruin your taste for it. It's been one week and you're already hating it. Try and enjoy sports a bit

7. Likes:

GAC (08-01-2020),HammerTime (08-01-2020),MikeS21 (08-01-2020),Ron Madden (07-31-2020),Roy Tucker (08-01-2020),SirFelixCat (08-01-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

You can’t dig yourself into a massive pit to start the season every single year and ever expect to be a winning team. And they do it every year. I missed exactly how the math works out, but someone said in the game thread they’re at the equivalent of being 5-13 already? That’s absolutely pathetic.

Something has to change at some point with the culture of this team. There has to be more urgency and more of an expectation that they are absolutely expected to win. I don’t know if that’s the players, or Bell, or the front office or something else or all the the above, but it has to change. Enough crapping down the legs of their pants every year the season starts.

9. Likes:

OGB (08-03-2020),Powder River (08-01-2020),REDREAD (07-31-2020),RedTeamGo! (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    There's a reason baseball plays so many games, it's a sport with tons of variables. Let it happen, let the damn game happen, let the season evolve as much as it can. Enjoy it before you let it ruin your taste for it. It's been one week and you're already hating it. Try and enjoy sports a bit
    They started 1-8 Last year and were out of it before June.

Imagine being a tigers fan right now actually experiencing, what’s it called, h...h....ho...hope? Hope, that’s it. Their team is actually giving them hope for the future. The reds on the other hand start every year looking just terrible. This season is too short to allow a month long slump, that’s half the season. It’s just such a bummer. So much hype after the offseason. Now we’re looking at Bauer and Cast gone. Just a bummer.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

MR X (08-01-2020),REDREAD (07-31-2020)

You'll see Krall go first, him being the GM is a nice lighting rod to protect the executive VP's

But really nobody will be getting fired this year.
    Go Gators!

13. Likes:

757690 (07-31-2020),Falls City Beer (08-01-2020),REDREAD (07-31-2020),Roy Tucker (08-01-2020)

Saying that the Reds are always horrible against AL teams is merely pointing out a problem that is seemingly not being addressed. It isn't just bad luck, there's something there in terms of advance scouting maybe? I don't know.

Whatever the problem is with their horrible record against AL teams, their slow start, their bad bullpen, and their lack of energy (they all looked half-asleep tonight), David Bell isn't helping. At best you can only say that he's not contributing to the problem.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (07-31-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

At 2-5 we’d need to finish 28-25 to go .500.

Gotta think we’d need to be 30-23 to go 2 games over, which is probably what it’d take to make the playoffs.

This team doesn’t have 30-23 in it. Now, do you fire Bell? Dick? Krall? All of the above?

I don’t know and I’m too wiped by apathy to care.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lost 3 of 4 against one of the worst teams in the history of professional baseball. Has never fielded a winning team.

At what point does Williams get held accountable? Honest question. This team is going nowhere this year.

I agree with you. Williams got an open checkbook , yet he thought we needed more bats and the bullpen was fine. (link in one of the game threads).
    He got more money than any GM in Reds' history to build a contending team. He had some nice core players too.

I will give him until the end of the season. If the Reds don't make the playoffs, then yes, he should definitely resign out of embarrassment. Of course, if he quits tomorrow, I will be happy too.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I agree with you. Williams got an open checkbook , yet he thought we needed more bats and the bullpen was fine. (link in one of the game threads).
    He got more money than any GM in Reds' history to build a contending team. He had some nice core players too.

I will give him until the end of the season. If the Reds don't make the playoffs, then yes, he should definitely resign out of embarrassment. Of course, if he quits tomorrow, I will be happy too.
    The team did need bats, but also needed a couple bullpen arms. To quote Bob Sheed: it was a half measure.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

20. Likes:

REDREAD (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don’t know what the answer is. Maybe Williams is not done with the rebuild. But I agree that this organization in general is extremely weak on accountability. I too wonder how many more seasons before the organization gets a different set of eyes.
    Oh we are definitely out of the rebuild. IIRC, Bauer and Disco are pending FAs (not sure about anyone else). A lot of prospects traded for short term help. We were definitely "all in" this year. If we suck this year, Castillenous might opt out too.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Well run teams don’t keep throwing players out there who continue to fail in high leverage situations. He doesn’t have control of useage? What? Of course he does...

“Hey manager, stop pitching Iglesias in high leverage situations.”
    The sliver lining in today's game was that Iglesis was used to mop up. Hopefully that continues.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dick's pretty much been running things for 5 years now . That's a lot of variables, a lot of games that we let happen, and a lot of seasons that have evolved. The one thing we haven't seen is a competitive team, or even one that can win half of its games. I haven't particularly enjoyed the Dick era (Don't enjoy incompetence) and I don't think talking about a change at the top is out of line.

24. Likes:

Benihana (08-01-2020),Falls City Beer (08-01-2020),Kilgore_Trout (08-01-2020),Powder River (08-01-2020),REDREAD (08-01-2020),RedTeamGo! (08-01-2020)

They call me "chef"

It’s possible the Reds won’t be a good team again for a long, long time. It sometimes feels like fielding a team and keeping the turnstiles rotating for another year is a satisfying enough goal for ownership and the playoffs is a separate, independent, non-essential goal that the fans project on to the business known as the Cincinnati Reds.

26. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-01-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?