Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

Flippy Hair Wiz Kids with zero accomplishments or credentials do not go away. He will be allowed to futz around for the next ten years easily, unless he decides he wants his parents to finance another vanity position somewhere more glamorous, maybe he’d run for public office?

- - - Updated - - -

Flippy Hair Wiz Kids with zero accomplishments or credentials do not go away. He will be allowed to futz around for the next ten years easily, unless he decides he wants his parents to finance another vanity position somewhere more glamorous, maybe he’d run for public office?

2. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-01-2020),MR X (08-01-2020),REDREAD (08-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

wait, what happened to "nepotism is just the way it is, nothing to see here"?

lol. this reds organization is a disaster from the top down. and it all starts with their inability to be creative and think outside the box. although, that is just one of the many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    There's a reason baseball plays so many games, it's a sport with tons of variables. Let it happen, let the damn game happen, let the season evolve as much as it can. Enjoy it before you let it ruin your taste for it. It's been one week and you're already hating it. Try and enjoy sports a bit
    Not with today's fans. Emotions rule! It's been 7 friggin games!

We call for Bell's firing, now William's resignation. How about looking at those really responsible ... those taking the field? LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

MikeS21 (08-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This team is going nowhere this year.

Seriously, if the reds miss the postseason (when 16 teams make it!) and if they have a losing record why is Williams not held accountable?
    IF. Can we at least wait to see if that happens first?

Some of you are gonna be a total mess with even a 60 game schedule! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

8. Likes:

Chip R (08-03-2020),MikeS21 (08-01-2020)

But is Williams an alpha?

10. Likes:

OGB (08-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

We call for Bell's firing, now William's resignation. How about looking at those really responsible ... those taking the field? LOL
    I personally saw enough of Bell last year, over managed way too often. He could have been let go over the winter and I would have been happy. I preferred the winning ways of Dusty though so what do I know?

Richard has surprised me, I think he’s done a pretty good job of getting talent, he needs to be better at assembling a team though.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 08-01-2020 at 06:56 AM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The bullpen is definitively awful and putting Iglesias in a key position in it is absolutely a major blunder on Williams part. He has to start getting results, it’s been quite long enough, and the team looks like complete ass yet again, just absolutely falling on their face in humiliating fashion for the - what, 7th year in a row?
    Four winning seasons since 2000. Four.

13. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-03-2020),Falls City Beer (08-01-2020),REDREAD (08-01-2020)

If the Reds don’t make the playoffs this year, given the struggles of the past, as well as the fact that half the league makes it this year, I would agree. But, we have 53 more games to figure that out, and I’m still cautiously optimistic.

And by the way, I am not, and have never been, a Williams fan AT ALL.
    Go BLUE!!!

15. Likes:

REDREAD (08-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

7 games? Where have you been the last 4-5 years? Williams has been in charge since December of 2016.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

REDREAD (08-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Dick's pretty much been running things for 5 years now . That's a lot of variables, a lot of games that we let happen, and a lot of seasons that have evolved. The one thing we haven't seen is a competitive team, or even one that can win half of its games. I haven't particularly enjoyed the Dick era (Don't enjoy incompetence) and I don't think talking about a change at the top is out of line.
    Recognizing a problem, holding people at the top accountable, and making changes is what non-loser organizations do.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (08-01-2020)

If you want to discuss Williams objectively and unemotionally, we need to start with this past off-season. He got very high marks from many Reds fans. He engineered major pickups like Moose and Castellanos. And while Reds have opened poorly, it’s only seven games, and previous seasons were different, this team has a stronger roster.

But it’s fair at this point to begin to consider two major, impactful decisions that don’t turn on seven games and represent strategic choices by the front office.

1. The hiring of David Bell. Bell had lots of attributes but no history as a winning manager. That kind of hiring is always a risk. Bell’s smart, knowledgeable, very experienced in baseball. But he had no specific track record of doing the thing required - winning as manager.

2. Decision not to revamp the bullpen. I could go on about Iglesias. His numbers showed decline. Beyond Iggy, Reds don’t have enough dynamic late inning arms. Yes, Reds have pitching coaches who can help guys. But they obviously made the strategic decision not to prioritize this area in a meaningful way.

In both cases, there is still a chance it can work out, it’s early in an oddball season. And the pen can be changed, certainly by 2021. But if I were ownership counting on a successful 2020, these would be the areas of my concern with this management, Williams, Krall and others.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-01-2020 at 08:27 AM.

21. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-03-2020),Falls City Beer (08-01-2020),OGB (08-03-2020),Old school 1983 (08-01-2020),Powder River (08-01-2020),REDREAD (08-01-2020)

I said it before the season ever started ... I am just not sure that this team is built for a 60 games season because too many players seem to get off to slow starts. It makes no difference what the games count, they still are played one at a time. Good teams were going to have cold streaks and poor teams were going to have hot streaks. This season was never going to be determined by the best team, but by the team who got hot. The Reds were built for a marathon - not a sprint. And when the Reds braintrust was signing all those FA’s over the winter, they were not expecting a 60 game season. They knew that they could overcome a 2-6 start, because there were 154 more games ... 154 opportunities to put together a 6-2 stretch or two.

Current performance is not Dick Williams’s fault. On paper, this is a strong team. He did his job. When your bats can’t get a hit, and your young hot shot ace can’t get it going on the mound, it is silly to blame the bullpen for last night.

And I can’t really fault Bell for over-managing because every manager is playing mind games with lineup tinkering because of the shortened season. As someone said in another thread, you can fire Bell, but the next guy is going to micro-manage just like Bell does because that is what every team does now in this age of analytics. And it is amazing how many serious baseball fans who religiously follow statistical analysis, and reject the whole idea of off-field distractions because the players are “professionals,” buy in to the idea that firing a manager is somehow going to cause a player to suddenly improve their performance. That is one stat I would love to see the formula for: “MFA” ... “Manager Firing Adjustment.”

I really would have loved to have seen this team over a regular 162 game schedule. But we didn’t, and that is neither Williams or Bell’s fault.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If the Reds don’t make the playoffs this year, given the struggles of the past, as well as the fact that half the league makes it this year, I would agree. But, we have 53 more games to figure that out, and I’m still cautiously optimistic.

And by the way, I am not, and have never been, a Williams fan AT ALL.
    We have VERY FEW GAMES TO FIGURE IT OUT.

Figuring it out after 53 more games means last place in the central which has been the Reds spot for 4 of the last 5 seasons. The only reason it’s not 5 of last 6 is the Cubs “tank of the series” final bad season was 2014 the first of the “Idiot Manager” years. Bryon Price was a pitching coach, not a manager, David Bell is a baseball family member not a manager. Neither of them should be a baseball manager again once Bell gets fired, but that probably won’t be until about the end of 2022.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

This thread is more pathetic than the Reds start to the season.

26. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-01-2020),Norm Chortleton (08-01-2020),Ron Madden (08-01-2020),westofyou (08-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    This thread is more pathetic than the Reds start to the season.
    I truly don’t understand why Dick Williams gets a free pass with reds fans.

He’s not going to give you any of his families money.

28. Likes:

REDREAD (08-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?