Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post

So from my chair, the process was sound but the product is lacking. What was the mistake in approach?
    Yes, Williams tried. He got a lot of support from ownership too. I appreciate that, as opposed to tanking

What was the mistake? Kind of obvious.
    Bullpen ignored.
    Defense pretty much ignored.
    Reds tried to put together a beer league team to outslug the opponent into oblivion, although granted they had 3
    great starting pitchers to anchor the rotation.
    Moustakas turns 32 in a week or so, kind of risky to give a guy that age a 4 year contract, especially for a middle infielder that doesn't have that much range to begin with.
    Shogo, Miley, Stop : all flops.

And Williams was complicit in tanking during Vottos' good years, now we are in Votto's decline years and then ownership
    decides to win.. It doesn't work that way. Good organizations try to win every year. They don't win every year, but they set themselves up for success. Poor teams like the Reds let the team rot for 5 years, then ownership decides to throw the fans a bone. This is honestly much like when Linder signed Milton and a few other guys and expected an instant success season.
    Yes, the moves were not quite that incompetent, but the idea that a light switch can be flipped and a contending team appears
    is just faulty logic.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

joshua (09-08-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    Williams should resign (he won't) but let's not forget who's calling the shots and therefore is to blame for the dumpster fires of the last 7 years. As Bob Castellini said:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ril/547641002/

Yell about Williams or Bell if you want. But there's been one constant among all the losing and poor decisions.
    Been saying this since they fired Dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Lol. Why in the world would Dick Williams resign. The thread would still be dumb, but a lot less dumb if it at least said “be fired”.
    You were saying?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

let the possible replacement names begin.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    let the possible replacement names begin.
    I would say Nick Krall at least in the interim...
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by shredda2000 View Post
    I would say Nick Krall at least in the interim...
    So, Krall is GM in title. Who was calling the shots him or Dick?

Saw an article yesterday that Theo Epstein wants to leave the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You were saying?
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He’s the son of an owner.

You’re acting like people are jealous. It’s not that, if he were good at his job he’d be beloved. People simply want to watch a non terrible team and recognize the POBO is the literal child of an owner and we are stuck with him.
    Team turned out to be Not Terrible and we turned out to not be "stuck with him" though.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Team turned out to be Not Terrible and we turned out to not be "stuck with him" though.
    They were kinda terrible.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

12. Likes:

757690 (10-07-2020),mth123 (10-07-2020),REDREAD (10-08-2020),tripleaaaron (10-07-2020)

There's gotta be more to this and I'm guessing it's not going to be good. Why would someone give up a position like this, to go into real estate? My guess is payroll is ready to get slashed again and he and his family don't want to see him get the blame for the kind of inept baseball we've seen from 2014 through the first half of 2020 in the upcoming seasons.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (10-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    So, Krall is GM in title. Who was calling the shots him or Dick?
    Not this again.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    There's gotta be more to this and I'm guessing it's not going to be good. Why would someone give up a position like this, to go into real estate? My guess is payroll is ready to get slashed again and he and his family don't want to see him get the blame for the kind of inept baseball we've seen from 2014 through the first half of 2020 in the upcoming seasons.
    Williams and his family had no problem being attached to and blamed for the inept baseball we saw from 2014 to now, so I am not sure why they would have a problem with it now.

That said, I think the opposite is happening. I think this is a sign that Bob Cast is mad about where the Reds are, and is about to go all in for the next few seasons.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

Mitri (10-07-2020)

Not too much more. Daddy set him up for the future with a big title addition to his resume. He gets to go out “on top” and is good for life now.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That said, I think the opposite is happening. I think this is a sign that Bob Cast is mad about where the Reds are, and is about to go all in for the next few seasons.
    I'm actually wondering if this isn't the case, similar to when Dusty was let go after losing to the Pirates in the WC game after 2013.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    My guess is the club is about to sold. 6-36 months maybe.

Big Bob is 80. Smart time for Dick to get out and solidify a position elsewhere.

21. Likes:

M2 (10-08-2020),REDREAD (10-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?