Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 511

Thread: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    627

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I mean, itís a bullpen with the sane core as last year, with a few semi interesting new faces (sims, strop, Jones).

    It was league average last year.
    Itís always missed the big hammer at the end.
    I donít expect it to be a strength.

    But itís not going to handicap is like this all year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bullpens don't usually work that way. They usually regress if you don't make major changes. And actually, the easiest way to improve a team is to improve the bullpen at the top. Add a better closer, everybody moves down a slot in their roles and you've improved upon each role. But this team's pen regressed last season, mainly due to the closer, and it normally means it will continue to regress without changes.

    As for Williams and other posters who bring up his first 4 seasons here, I throw those away. This is the first year he was handed money to work with. So comparing to other seasons when anyone without red-colored glasses on knew they were not going to be good, is apples and oranges. That said, this year doesn't look good and it's not because of changes he made to the offense(it will come around if season continues) it's lack of change to the bullpen.

  2. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (08-01-2020)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,136

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Lol. Why in the world would Dick Williams resign. The thread would still be dumb, but a lot less dumb if it at least said “be fired”.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  5. Likes:

    Norm Chortleton (08-01-2020),OGB (08-03-2020)

  6. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    28,790

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I mean, it’s a bullpen with the sane core as last year, with a few semi interesting new faces (sims, strop, Jones).

    It was league average last year.
    It’s always missed the big hammer at the end.
    I don’t expect it to be a strength.

    But it’s not going to handicap is like this all year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don’t buy this at all. If you don’t have the lock down late inning relievers, your pen is a liability. Especially for a contender. The Reds didn’t have enough of those types last year, and don’t have them now.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-01-2020 at 04:13 PM.

  7. #64
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    13,600

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Lol. Why in the world would Dick Williams resign. The thread would still be dumb, but a lot less dumb if it at least said “be fired”.
    Because he won’t be fired because of nepotism.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  8. Likes:

    REDREAD (08-02-2020)

  9. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,136

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Because he won’t be fired because of nepotism.
    Okay. That doesn’t answer why in the world would he resign?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  10. #66
    Man Pills Falls City Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    27,302

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I mean, itís a bullpen with the sane core as last year, with a few semi interesting new faces (sims, strop, Jones).

    It was league average last year.
    Itís always missed the big hammer at the end.
    I donít expect it to be a strength.

    But itís not going to handicap is like this all year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why do you believe that it wonít handicap us this year?

  11. Likes:

    REDREAD (08-02-2020)

  12. #67
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    7,919

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Why do you believe that it wonít handicap us this year?
    Just meaning, not to this degree.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #68
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    7,919

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I donít buy this at all. If you donít have the lock down late inning relievers, your pen is a liability. Especially for a contender. The Reds didnít have enough of those types last year, and donít have them now.
    I mean, it was league average last year without the top dogs. Im just saying it doesnít necessarily need to be excellent. It just needs to avoid being a dumpster fire. I think there is enough in the tank for that to happen.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    28,790

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I mean, it was league average last year without the top dogs. Im just saying it doesn’t necessarily need to be excellent. It just needs to avoid being a dumpster fire. I think there is enough in the tank for that to happen.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looking at the metrics, in many respects pen was league average last year. But the closer, who saved 34 games, was 3-12. Most losses of any MLB reliever. Pen lost 33 games, only the Marlins lost more in the NL. 27-33 overall. Relief losses are essentially winnable games; opponent takes the lead against the pen.

    Offense was to blame too, but the pen shared in the responsibility for those losses, many in close games. Particularly the back end of the pen.

    It could turn around. The Nats pen was bad last year (also 27-33) and got them through the playoffs. But it’s a short season so there isn’t much time.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-01-2020 at 06:24 PM.

  15. Likes:

    REDREAD (08-02-2020)

  16. #70
    Member RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    18,814

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    I don't know if it's my age, having two exhausting kids, or COVID fatigue, but I just cannot summon the energy to engage in these sorts of small sample size debates anymore. The offense has been good. The bullpen has been bad. A team expected to be marginally above .500 has a -1 run differential after 7 games along with 1 "extra" loss above what you'd expect given that differential.

    Therefore, lets fire the manager. I know I used to be the one posting 17 times on these threads. And I know I can just go away and let everybody have their fun. But, man... Nothing that happens in 7 games is proof of anything. It's barely even evidence. Sometimes players play better than the play other times. Normal, to-be-expected variance trumps almost everything at this point.

    Don't y'all have something better to do than navel gaze to this degree?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  17. Likes:

    HammerTime (08-02-2020),Norm Chortleton (08-01-2020),ochoa30 (08-01-2020),Ron Madden (08-01-2020),Roy Tucker (08-01-2020),westofyou (08-01-2020)

  18. #71
    Man Pills Falls City Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    27,302

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't know if it's my age, having two exhausting kids, or COVID fatigue, but I just cannot summon the energy to engage in these sorts of small sample size debates anymore. The offense has been good. The bullpen has been bad. A team expected to be marginally above .500 has a -1 run differential after 7 games along with 1 "extra" loss above what you'd expect given that differential.

    Therefore, lets fire the manager. I know I used to be the one posting 17 times on these threads. And I know I can just go away and let everybody have their fun. But, man... Nothing that happens in 7 games is proof of anything. It's barely even evidence. Sometimes players play better than the play other times. Normal, to-be-expected variance trumps almost everything at this point.

    Don't y'all have something better to do than navel gaze to this degree?
    If 7 games is less than meaningless, then why have a 60 game season? I agree it’s obviously a small sample but then so is the entire season.

  19. Likes:

    OGB (08-03-2020),REDREAD (08-02-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-01-2020)

  20. #72
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,415

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't know if it's my age, having two exhausting kids, or COVID fatigue, but I just cannot summon the energy to engage in these sorts of small sample size debates anymore. The offense has been good. The bullpen has been bad. A team expected to be marginally above .500 has a -1 run differential after 7 games along with 1 "extra" loss above what you'd expect given that differential.

    Therefore, lets fire the manager. I know I used to be the one posting 17 times on these threads. And I know I can just go away and let everybody have their fun. But, man... Nothing that happens in 7 games is proof of anything. It's barely even evidence. Sometimes players play better than the play other times. Normal, to-be-expected variance trumps almost everything at this point.

    Don't y'all have something better to do than navel gaze to this degree?
    To be fair to RTG, he’s made it clear that he is not basing this on the first seven games of the season, he’s basing it on the last five seasons.
    ďWeíre going to get the pitching.Ē -Bob Castellini
    ďYou got the pitching, now what?Ē - Reds fans

  21. Likes:

    REDREAD (08-02-2020)

  22. #73
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    50,089

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't know if it's my age, having two exhausting kids, or COVID fatigue, but I just cannot summon the energy to engage in these sorts of small sample size debates anymore. The offense has been good. The bullpen has been bad. A team expected to be marginally above .500 has a -1 run differential after 7 games along with 1 "extra" loss above what you'd expect given that differential.

    Therefore, lets fire the manager. I know I used to be the one posting 17 times on these threads. And I know I can just go away and let everybody have their fun. But, man... Nothing that happens in 7 games is proof of anything. It's barely even evidence. Sometimes players play better than the play other times. Normal, to-be-expected variance trumps almost everything at this point.

    Don't y'all have something better to do than navel gaze to this degree?
    Evidently not

  23. Likes:

    Ron Madden (08-01-2020)

  24. #74
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    50,089

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    To be fair to RTG, he’s made it clear that he is not basing this on the first seven games of the season, he’s basing it on the last five seasons.
    Then where are the threads from November until now?

    IF it was the last five seasons, I expect here would be a lot of threads demanding resignation prior to the beginning of this season. Instead it's a post after a loss during the first week of this season, leading me to believe that this season is the trigger.

    But that's just me

  25. Likes:

    StRedlegs900 (08-03-2020)

  26. #75
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,415

    Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Then where are the threads from November until now?

    IF it was the last five seasons, I expect here would be a lot of threads demanding resignation prior to the beginning of this season. Instead it's a post after a loss during the first week of this season, leading me to believe that this season is the trigger.

    But that's just me
    Straw that broke the camel’s back. You are correct, these first 7 games are the trigger. But without the last five seasons, this thread never happens.

    It’s the past five seasons and these first 7 games.
    ďWeíre going to get the pitching.Ē -Bob Castellini
    ďYou got the pitching, now what?Ē - Reds fans

  27. Likes:

    REDREAD (08-02-2020)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator